Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2017, 07:08 AM

9 posts, read 15,535 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband works for the USPS and can put a transfer in for any town we want, sometimes the wait for an opening can take a long time, sometimes not. We are going to be putting in one for Summerville, SC which is where we plan to move to from Toms River, NJ. But being that it can take a long time for the transfer to open up, we have open the idea of him still working in a neighboring town to Summerville. He can put in for multiple transfer requests, and accept the one he wants if and when it comes along. What towns close to Summerville and good to work in? Not to much of a commute time to post office?
Once his transfer is approved, we need to sell our home in NJ, and find a house rental in Summerville to make the transition. Not going to lie, am a little nervous about pulling it all together. We can't list our home in NJ for sale until he gets transfer approval, as it can take a year or longer in some cases....

1. Ladson
2. Goose Creek
3. Hanahan
4. Moncks Corner
5. Mount Pleasant
6. North Charleston

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated....

Kat

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 07:38 AM

727 posts, read 715,738 times
What is your budget? No guarantee prices will be the same in the future, but you can get an idea. What size house do you need? Apartment? Are schools important? I can tell you rent is high here.

I have only used the Summerville post office on Dorchester Rd. (corner of Dorchester and Trolley--"Oakbrook".) You could live anywhere on your list except Mt. Pleasant or Moncks Corner, and not have a terrible commute since there are multiple alternate routes. The biggest traffic issue involves commuting toward Charleston, so the N. Charleston post office on McMillan Ave would not be good if you live closer to Summerville. I think there is a post office in downtown Summerville, but I've not been there. They are only a few miles apart. The Dorchester Rd. post office is in an old shopping center that is being torn down to make room for a Lowe's Foods and gas station. The Post office, however, is staying as is the attached thrift store.

If Summerville is your ultimate goal, then I would focus a housing search on Summerville or Ladson (which is an area/address, not really a town), but you could live in Hanahan (ex. Otranto), closer parts of N. Charleston ( ex. Westcott, Kings Grant) or Goose Creek as well.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:50 AM

9 posts, read 15,535 times
House budget is $180,000 - $220,000
Need 4 bedroom, 2 bath
Family of 5 - me, husband, children ages 5 & 6, and my mom
Want at least .25 acres. Want a backyard for kids to play, and have a patio / deck to enjoy bbq's
And be able to spend a day at the beaches, it seems Summerville is 30-40 minutes to beach.

I just put in my husbands transfer request for Summerville, so hoping for that transfer, but open to the neighboring town for him to work...

Thanks for your reply

Old 02-17-2017, 11:12 AM

727 posts, read 715,738 times
Oh, ok. You've posted about this before. You will probably be near the top of your budget for a 4br in Summerville, in a nice neighborhood. Here are some rentals that might meet your criteria: 335 Eagle Ridge Rd, Summerville, SC 29485 - Home for Rent - realtor.com® 5135 Ballantine Dr, Summerville, SC 29485 - Home for Rent - realtor.com®

Expect rent for a house that size to be $1500-$2000+. Lot sizes will vary but none will be large unless out in the rural areas, and I don't know those. Patios are pretty common in the subdivisions.

If he gets the job, I would pick the school first and look in that attendance zone so your children wouldn't have to change schools.

I won't address travel time to the beach because there are so many variables, and that discussion seems to lead to conflict. It depends on where you start, what route, which beach, and the day of the week/ time of day you travel.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:46 PM

2,525 posts, read 1,946,200 times
You can probably scratch Mt Pleasant from you list......you're not going to find anything in your price range in that town.
Charleston County Taxes are lower, but they may be increasing as they build more schools.
Dorchester II school district is considered good, your kids will appreciate it.
I would not make the 0.25 acre lot a deal-breaker. Lots are sliced a little smaller down here. Many subdivisions have community playgrounds, some with common pools.
If you want to get to the Ocean Beaches in 40 minutes........you may have to leave before sunrise.

Does Mom need a downstairs bedroom, or is she OK with stairs ??

We moved down from Middletown NJ a few years ago and selling a house up there was a nightmare. Our house down here has appreciated in value by at least 20% based on similar Sales on our street.

Good Luck in your Move.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:31 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
From a Yankee in Dixie.

Your budget cannot afford Mount Pleasant. Need at least $400K.
North Charleston can be very sketchy and best avoided.

Concentrate on your numbers 1 to 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area