Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 07:00 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,453,176 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of hairstylists that have exemplary skills when it comes to layer cuts in Charleston or Mount Pleasant? I'm serious. I went to one of the supposed "best" salons recently on KiIng St. and paid the MOST for the supposed MOST experienced and I'm dissappointed to say the least. It may have been the sylist was having an off day but I paid double what I used to pay and got half the results I used to get.

Please. If you would, name salons as well as stylists' names.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 10:08 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,429,923 times
I love Michelle at Illusions at Park West she is the owner and use to work at Stella Nova. Just let me know if you need her number and her prices are reasonable. Tell her I sent you...Darcy.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:56 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,485,835 times
I feel your pain. I've been looking for two years and cannot find anyone good to cut my hair. Everyone gets something right (length, stack, bangs, etc.), but then not something else - they never get it all right. Whatever happened to hair stylists who just cut your hair perfect for your look and face? Like what's his name on What Not to Wear...his cuts usually always look great.

I'm not picky at all with my haircut - I just like a basic stacked bob that's not too, too short in the back, but the last person at URBAN NIRVANA left one side an inch longer than the other. I know cutting hair is hard, I could never do it, but I wish I could find someone who did a great job. It's so hard.

Ugh - sorry to vent, I have nothing constructive to add - but this is a tender subject to me and I really needed to vent! haha.

To be fair though and to try to help some, I went to Joseph Salon on JI this past time and one of the lady's there did a pretty good job. But it's attention to detail that I need - i.e., there's no stacking in the back hardly and I have one of those annoying duck tail things if my hair is too short in the back and she didn't trim that. She said she did but it's still there. I'll probably go back though and just tell her about those couple things. It was $55 for a cut. Not too bad.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:10 PM

73 posts, read 264,118 times
Default Big hair

The hair thing is a big fear of mine. I have thick, naturally curly hair that usually ends up looking like Chaka Khan after humidity gets to it. It's either going to be a lot of ponytails or I need someone to recommend a good hair product that fights the humidity.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:15 AM

Thank -you all for the responses. I was beginning to think nobody saw this thread and I'd have to just continue the needle in the haystack search on my own to try to find someone. I paid $70 with a tip at Stella Nova downtown (this was the highest rate for their most experienced level) and I'd give her about a "C" . She spent about half the amount of time my old stylist used to spend and the price was 2 times as high. Of course it looked ok when I left the salon. I just was not happy how it looked a few days later. Certainly I don't think I got what I paid for.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:02 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,485,835 times
oh i feel your pain emily. what are we going to do?? please continue to post if you find a good stylist and if i find anyone, i promise to let everyone know.

one person i should give a good review is bella amie on james island. kari used to do a great job on my hair but then she had a baby and took some time off. i think she's back now and i plan on going back. she was the best and i think i paid her $55 w/ tip which is significantly cheaper than the $70 i seem to pay everywhere else. so give her a shot! off the connecter, take a right, right next to an obgyn's office on the right. it's cute inside too. it's her and the owner and i've heard the owner does a great job too. she's really nice and took the time to do it right. very attentive to detail.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:10 PM

25 posts, read 127,108 times
I hear ya! Watch out for the Stella Nova Salons because I have had some really crappy cuts and colors from some of the girls there. However, ask for Margie in Summervilles location. She is the owner and she's REALLY good. She goes up to NY to learn new styles, new methods, and is passionate about hair. She is at Stella Nova..I know I said watch out for them but she's the only one I'd go to..however she charges a buttload. 75 for a haircut. I never leave there paying less than 150.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher33 View Post
oh i feel your pain emily. what are we going to do?? please continue to post if you find a good stylist and if i find anyone, i promise to let everyone know.

one person i should give a good review is bella amie on james island. kari used to do a great job on my hair but then she had a baby and took some time off. i think she's back now and i plan on going back. she was the best and i think i paid her $55 w/ tip which is significantly cheaper than the $70 i seem to pay everywhere else. so give her a shot! off the connecter, take a right, right next to an obgyn's office on the right. it's cute inside too. it's her and the owner and i've heard the owner does a great job too. she's really nice and took the time to do it right. very attentive to detail.
Thanks. Oh it would be great if I could get it done there! It would be so much more convenient than having to go downtown.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:23 PM

355 posts, read 1,449,615 times
I can tell you with absolutely certainty do NOT go to Strawberry Blonde Salon.

Not only did my highlights look URINE yellow at the root and white in the middle but the cut was off, I was there for 4 hours for this torture and I left with wet hair.

Even the owner tried to downplay the shade of yellow and finally backed down because I fessed up to being a hairstylist in another state.

But, it was a real hassle and I still have to go back in and have her fix it.

One of the owners was literally cussing every other word with his clients and his staff and making horribly sexual comments to many of the women there.

It was absolutely grotesque and I wouldn't send my worst enemy in there to buy a bottle of shampoo let alone have chemical applied.

Good luck! I'll keep you posted if I find anything. Everyone I talked to before taking the dive warned me about Stella Nova so I know I will not be going in there any time soon!!!

Keep the thread going, let's all get a great stylist!!

Old 04-12-2008, 03:10 PM

58 posts, read 234,625 times
This may sound crazy, but I drive to Myrtle Beach for my cut & color. Salon Edge is the name of the salon, and everyone there is FABULOUS. When I moved south I was in the same boat - the same woman had been doing my hair for ages and I never had to worry about it looking horrid. After trying a few places in Myrtle Beach, I finally saw an episode of 'A Makeover Story' with Salon Edge as the featured salon. They did a great job, so I figured I'd give it a try. Every visit there has been A+++++!

Stacy always does my cut & color. She's worked in NYC, Chicago, & is big on precision cuts. She's also a genius with color - I always get a caramel colored base with really light blond highlights and it looks great. She even does my eyebrows so everything matches. : )

If anyone is interested, PM and I'll give you more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area