Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 08:01 PM

216 posts, read 300,919 times

Advertisements

I live zero lights from Sullivans Island/IOP
I go to the beach by car early enough to always find parking
Or I take the bikes if the family wants to join the madness and get a pre-workout in

To buy a boat, launch it from inside the Wando, cruise ~30 mins around the harbor to Capers Or Bulls Island just for 'beach access' sounds like a whole bunch of work.

Again, to launch a boat early enough would be your best (free) option.

Ps, if you move to Johns Island dont assume anything is guaranteed to get into a James Island/WA school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 08:26 PM

3,871 posts, read 4,615,921 times
Living on Johns Island and dropping the kids off on James Island on the way to work in Mt P would be insane. The folks who live here and go to the beaches learn when to go and where to find parking. It's not as restrictive as you would think.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:56 PM

88 posts, read 112,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Living on Johns Island and dropping the kids off on James Island on the way to work in Mt P would be insane. The folks who live here and go to the beaches learn when to go and where to find parking. It's not as restrictive as you would think.
This is why I appreciate this forum, open honest communication. Thank you all for your help. We will probably focus our home search around the amenities and house price value. We will have to learn the tricks to the beach unless we can learn to be earlier whole family risers.

We may even continue to rent until we see for ourselves. I’m looking to apply for a real estate license in the near future as a secondary job and I’m sure that will help my ability to learn the neighborhoods , house prices, and schools.

We really appreciate the knowledgeable a fair knowledge of those who take the time to help the clueless.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:04 PM

3,871 posts, read 4,615,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeens84 View Post
This is why I appreciate this forum, open honest communication. Thank you all for your help. We will probably focus our home search around the amenities and house price value. We will have to learn the tricks to the beach unless we can learn to be earlier whole family risers.

We may even continue to rent until we see for ourselves. I’m looking to apply for a real estate license in the near future as a secondary job and I’m sure that will help my ability to learn the neighborhoods , house prices, and schools.

We really appreciate the knowledgeable a fair knowledge of those who take the time to help the clueless.

Going to the beach early is one of the first tricks to learn! It's really nicer in the mornings anyway. (at least during the heat of the summer)

Becoming a Realtor is a sure way to learn neighborhoods. Doing it part time is not easy though. I tried that for a while while maintaining my construction business but I really couldn't be there for clients in the way that the role demands.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:45 AM

7,102 posts, read 6,004,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Going to the beach early is one of the first tricks to learn! It's really nicer in the mornings anyway. (at least during the heat of the summer)

Becoming a Realtor is a sure way to learn neighborhoods. Doing it part time is not easy though. I tried that for a while while maintaining my construction business but I really couldn't be there for clients in the way that the role demands.
I'm going to +1 LocalHero here, I would always recommend doing Real Estate full time if you're going to do it, a lot of folks get into it part time and a year later they're out of the business. I did that myself back in 2013, didn't take it as a full time job and almost went broke a year later! But I love RE and my only advice to new agents is to take is seriously as a full time job.

Also, if you lived near the Mount Pleasant connector (say around Brickyard Plantation) or anywhere south of the James Island Connector on James Island, you'd only have a 5 minute commute to a beach, perhaps a bit longer if you catch the traffic wrong. Look for homes in 29464, 29466, and 29412 for beach closeness.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:15 AM

88 posts, read 112,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I'm going to +1 LocalHero here, I would always recommend doing Real Estate full time if you're going to do it, a lot of folks get into it part time and a year later they're out of the business. I did that myself back in 2013, didn't take it as a full time job and almost went broke a year later! But I love RE and my only advice to new agents is to take is seriously as a full time job.

Also, if you lived near the Mount Pleasant connector (say around Brickyard Plantation) or anywhere south of the James Island Connector on James Island, you'd only have a 5 minute commute to a beach, perhaps a bit longer if you catch the traffic wrong. Look for homes in 29464, 29466, and 29412 for beach closeness.
Well financially since the move down here I’m not sure I could do full time. I have young girls and my wife is staying home with them. I really hoped I would be able to do showings evenings and weekends until I could get a stable job with a stable partner or company. Real estate is quite different here in Ohio and I still need to do the 60 hours I guess to take the exam . Looks like it may not be offered online.

I know nothing is for sure in real estate but I would stability before transitioning to full time. Then I would be able to keep a part time job in healthcare and full time real estate. I was hoping to find a firm or a partner that would allow me to take some responsibilities just to get started and get a feel for the market and start learning and once that process took place and I felt more comfortable I could definitely make the transition. That’s kind a like having your cake and eating it too and it’s probably Unrealistic.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:47 AM

7,102 posts, read 6,004,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeens84 View Post
Well financially since the move down here I’m not sure I could do full time. I have young girls and my wife is staying home with them. I really hoped I would be able to do showings evenings and weekends until I could get a stable job with a stable partner or company. Real estate is quite different here in Ohio and I still need to do the 60 hours I guess to take the exam . Looks like it may not be offered online.

I know nothing is for sure in real estate but I would stability before transitioning to full time. Then I would be able to keep a part time job in healthcare and full time real estate. I was hoping to find a firm or a partner that would allow me to take some responsibilities just to get started and get a feel for the market and start learning and once that process took place and I felt more comfortable I could definitely make the transition. That’s kind a like having your cake and eating it too and it’s probably Unrealistic.
You could always find an established team and become a buyer's agent under someone who's already established and producing. There are many teams out there that are "hiring" agents to handle their incoming leads. This requires 95% cold calling and 5% showing homes/paperwork. But it's a lot cheaper to start up than buying your own leads, establishing your own business. Many new agents take this route until they can support themselves. Also, when researching, look at stats. Some companies have 1000's of agents and their average sale per agent is like 4 a year. Some companies have smaller forces and have an average of 15 per year. Do the figures before you sign, look for a good fit for you, and make sure you feel good about the culture of the company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area