Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2019, 02:21 PM

116 posts, read 186,219 times

Advertisements

I just interviewed for a job in Charleston, and will know sometime this coming week if I'm a finalist for the position, so thought I'd do some advanced recon on potential living situations (specifically apartments).

I'm a 27 y/o single male, born and raised in Washington State but have lived in four different states over the past five years due to work (currently in the NE Philadelphia suburbs, almost two years now).

The job is near The Citadel, and the way I see it now, any length of commute up to 15-20 minutes would be acceptable (currently just over a 20-minute commute where I live now). Just about any studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a decent neighborhood, ideally under $1,000 per month, should fit the bill. Being in or near a "happening" area with nightlife would be nice, but is certainly not a necessity. I'm just as comfortable in a more suburban setting.

Despite my nomadic career, I've never been farther south than Northern Kentucky, so I'm anticipating some significant cultural adjustments as well. Thanks in advance for any advice and input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 08:13 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,947,781 times
smitty --
Welcome to the Lowcountry. What's your line of work, if you don't mind my asking.

To keep your commute under 20 minutes, you'd probably want to look at the West Ashley section just over the river. That part of town has a younger vibe to it. Apartment choices are many and they've been discussed here recently.....just search for the thread.

Downtown Charleston is just like any other city of 140,000 residents. It just happens to come with 350 years of history, a list of 4-star restaurants, temperate weather, and activities for all tastes.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
smitty --
Welcome to the Lowcountry. What's your line of work, if you don't mind my asking.

To keep your commute under 20 minutes, you'd probably want to look at the West Ashley section just over the river. That part of town has a younger vibe to it. Apartment choices are many and they've been discussed here recently.....just search for the thread.

Downtown Charleston is just like any other city of 140,000 residents. It just happens to come with 350 years of history, a list of 4-star restaurants, temperate weather, and activities for all tastes.
I'm in broadcast media. Looks like there are quite a few options in West Ashley. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 12-15-2019, 01:13 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,569,779 times
Post back here with some of the places you're considering. There are some really sketchy apt. complexes in West Ashley. Ashley Oaks, Palmilla, Aster Place are among the ones that make the news for all the wrong reasons.

Old 12-15-2019, 01:40 PM

108 posts, read 101,763 times
If you are physically active, consider ditching the car and live in Charleston on the peninsula. Much of the nightlife will be within walking distance. Free shuttles (Carta DASH) help during weather events. With Uber & Lyft having funding to survive another couple of years, you can easily get to/from other active areas like Avondale, Park Circle or Shem Creek. Charleston is isolated by one interstate from the northwest, two bridges from West of the Ashley River, and one bridge across the harbor. A major accident on one or on the Crosstown can snarl the whole place.

Don't be fooled by the "website price" of the apartments in Charleston. Overbuilding of apartments has been occurring, and rent rebate deals are there. You just need to get in contact with multiple places and get them to bid against each other. You may not get the effective monthly price under 1K, but without the expense of a car/commute, you come out ahead.

Old 12-15-2019, 04:39 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashsc View Post
If you are physically active, consider ditching the car and live in Charleston on the peninsula. Much of the nightlife will be within walking distance. Free shuttles (Carta DASH) help during weather events. With Uber & Lyft having funding to survive another couple of years, you can easily get to/from other active areas like Avondale, Park Circle or Shem Creek. Charleston is isolated by one interstate from the northwest, two bridges from West of the Ashley River, and one bridge across the harbor. A major accident on one or on the Crosstown can snarl the whole place.

Don't be fooled by the "website price" of the apartments in Charleston. Overbuilding of apartments has been occurring, and rent rebate deals are there. You just need to get in contact with multiple places and get them to bid against each other. You may not get the effective monthly price under 1K, but without the expense of a car/commute, you come out ahead.
Live downtown and enjoy some fine, young ladies attending the College of Charleston. Nothing could be finer in Carolina.

Old 12-16-2019, 09:00 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,947,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty211 View Post
I'm in broadcast media. Looks like there are quite a few options in West Ashley. Thanks for the suggestion!

Are you in Radio or TV ??
There's a couple of fine Recording Studios in West Ashley...ARP Studio is nearby in Johns Island.

Any specific Apartment questions can be answered by the good folks on this site.

Old 12-18-2019, 03:58 PM

Unfortunately the job didn't pan out; the hiring manager went with another candidate today.

Thanks to all who chimed in though. I'll refer back to this thread in case an opportunity opens in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: