Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 06:23 PM

73 posts, read 254,728 times

Advertisements

We are planning a move to Summerville/Charleston area and are somewhat familiar with it as we have friends there but what is the big hoopla(spelling?) about Mt. Pleasant/Charleston/Summerville. I need all the information you all have so I can make some final decisions on where to buy a house. We have a son who plays hockey so I do not want to be real far from the rink which is in North Charleston. Also my friend's children go to Beech Hill elementary but her neighborhood is a bit older so I am looking for newer but she told me there are also new good elementary schools popping up. I like Legend Oaks but think the entire neighborhood maybe too big. I definitely like HOA w/ pools, I have never had a problem with any. I am looking between 250-300K, and with the market I can get a pretty good home I believe. Any way any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 09:08 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,998,048 times
From Summerville to the Ice Palace is 25 minutes for me. What age group is your child in, hockey related? I have one that plays Squirts for the Jr Stingrays.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:11 AM

528 posts, read 1,513,868 times
I would recommend the side of Summerville which is closer to North Charleston...few reasons:
1.Price Range-for 250-300k you can get a very nice home with all of the amenities you mentioned in Summerville. It will be much more difficult to do so in Mount Pleasant or Charleston. The same homes cost a good deal more because of their closer proximity to the ocean and downtown.
2.Kids-Summerville has tons of kids and the school system is one of the best in the state. If you go with a development on the side of Summerville closer to North Charleston, you will be a quick drive to the Ice Palace. Hopefully his practices aren't during rush hour.
3.Neighborhoods-there are PLENTY of new developments with pools and associations. Bridges if Summerville, Indigo Palms, Wescott, Whitehall, Windsor Hills, Coosaw Creek, are a few that are in the N. Charleston direction. Older, more established ones...Ashborough, Ashborough East, Newington...just to name a few. Lots of options for you.
Let us know if you have any more ?'s.
Foster

Old 04-24-2008, 03:03 PM

Wow. Thanks for all the information. Our son has just turned 9 so he is still considered mite but they do let him play up mostly b/c he loves defense??? and no one else really does. I have been looking on the internet for homes, I actually found one I liked over our price range in Mt. Pleasant, not alot though, but with the economy/gas prices I think we may opt for N. Charleston/Summerville. I have found some in Legend Oaks but I hesitate b/c of how many homes are in there and would a resell be hard. I actually do like Summerville/N.Charleston except for the traffic but my friend said they are widening Dorchester ( I think that is the name). What are the property taxes like? That will definitely decide how much we spend. Thanks, Brenda

Old 04-24-2008, 04:23 PM

899 posts, read 3,491,067 times
Think about $1500 (yes hundred, not thousand) in taxes for a $300K home in Legend Oaks.

It is a large development, but it is broken into basically four or five sections. With the school right across the street, it's great.

However, the Ice Palace is pretty far away. I would say about 40 minutes.

How about Cane Bay? New schools are coming in & you will be closer.
jim

Old 04-25-2008, 10:32 AM

Legend Oaks is very nice and although it is big, it is a desirable place to live. There are currently 97 houses on the market in there. This last year saw 137 houses sell in there though with houses averaging 100 days on the market (not bad) and netting an average of $117.23/square foot. So people are moving in and out. However, like Jim mentioned, it is farther out and would be a bit of a drive for you. I think you would do better with a development closer to North Charleston. Indigo Fields is another one to look at.

Regarding taxes...On average-I tell my clients to figure on $1000/$100,000 for taxes. This gives you a fairly accurate ballpark. Could be lower or higher depending on the age of the house and recent assesments.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:44 AM

What school is cane bay currently in or is there school already built? Where is cane bay exactly ie: off Dorchester, I am somewhat familar with the roads. I looked into Coosaw and I think it was a bit more than 300K. Thanks, Brenda

Old 04-26-2008, 10:34 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,998,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhalpin View Post
What school is cane bay currently in or is there school already built? Where is cane bay exactly ie: off Dorchester, I am somewhat familar with the roads. I looked into Coosaw and I think it was a bit more than 300K. Thanks, Brenda
Cane-Bay is closer to Goose Creek, its off of Hwy 176. At Intersection of 17a and 176.

Cane Bay Plantation - Community Info

Cane Bay High School (broken link) - School Info

Currently there HS opens up this August, Next August will be the Elementary School which is currently under construction.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:12 AM

Hi Brenda,
Coosaw normally is over 300k, however, a few houses do come up that are less. Right now there are two that are between 310k-320k. That is the asking price, so you can always try to negotiate under your 300 mark. That's why I suggested it.
Have a great one!
Foster

Old 05-01-2008, 08:03 AM

139 posts, read 153,484 times
Default The difference between Charleston and Summerville...

is North Charleston where you can find wonderful living opportunities.

Summerville no longer has the ambiance of small flowertown USA. That image
was consumed by developer sharks williing to turn apathetic locals into a sacrifice to their God. The smalltown USA myth of Summerville is now only hosted by a wonderfully quaint town website filled with photos of what it once was... (sigh).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area