Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 06:45 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,357,350 times

Advertisements

Yes, I do knock out some chores on Sunday. Had a good service this morning on forgiveness. Got some laundry done, some organizing, ran the broom outside, put the poison down, and spent time with the family. I think even the dogs got a bath. It was a good day. Hope yours was too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 10:58 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,012,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewsonic1 View Post
In a state steeped in this kind of tradition/way of life....the state YOU chose to move to. You have absolutely no room to complain or voice a contrary opinion.
People aren't allowed to have an opinion in SC? That's kind of scary.

Old 08-30-2021, 11:08 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,553,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Could someone please explain what the undercurrent is behind this derisive "Yankee Go Home" sentiment?
Well, first off, those from KY and VA are "southerners" in the historic sense of the word.

But, to answer from my experience, speaking as a northerner who is not a Yankee:
Southerners tend to enjoy their lives and the world they live in in a slower pace, accepting traditions and letting people be who they are, whether or not they agree with their choices. Yankees want to come in and "improve" situations according to their views of what "should be." Yankees, in the south and around the planet do not allow others the peaceful acceptance of their lives. They are busybodies that continue to put their noses where they do not belong.

Old 08-30-2021, 11:51 AM

12,925 posts, read 18,774,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewsonic1 View Post
When the person that voices such an opinion chose to move to a place full of traditions/ways of life/viewpoints that are diametrically opposed to the views they hold, one must question why they came in the first place.

Hold all of the opinions you want. If they run contrary, expect pushback. This is not a revelation.
I’m a native South Carolinian, 63, and some of the opinions newcomers bring them sit just fine with me. And I’m not going anywhere. In fact, my 85-year-old mother welcomes newcomers with a variety of viewpoints as well. And she’s a native South Carolinian, too. South Carolina can’t be pigeonholed as a one-mindset place.

Old 09-01-2021, 07:20 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,989,018 times
As a native Charlestonian, I look at it as change. Things change. I remember going to Estill, SC to visit my grandparents and watching that town die over the years as jobs disappeared and folks moved to the cities. I remember dirt roads on James Island. I remember that Mt Pleasant ended at Bowman Road and it was all forest north of there.

That's not the Charleston we live in now. There are entire communities filled with transplants. That tells me that this is a heck of a nice place to live, whether it be the low taxes, jobs, water sports, etc... I can completely understand why people want to move here.

We kid around and call Mount Pleasant "South Jersey". It doesn't mean there's any ill will there, just a matter of fact that most of Mt. Pleasant is northern and mid-western transplants.

I don't really care about people's perceptions and culture and way of life. It honestly doesn't affect how I'm going to treat you. I get along with folks regardless of where they come from or what they look or act like. A jerk is a jerk no matter where they grew up.

Most of us don't even talk to our neighbors anymore anyways, so why would it matter where they come from if you're not ever going to speak to them in the first place?

My goal for retirement is to actually LEAVE Charleston! Growing up here, I'm kind of ready for a quieter plot of land somewhere in the Blue Ridge Mountains...

Old 09-01-2021, 12:56 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,455,203 times
Another thing that people continuously forget is that people from Charleston and surrounding areas do indeed have babies - I am one. Charleston is not 100% transplants, which is the general attitude that people have. Believe it or not, there are Carolina natives still moving in.

Charleston is definitely growing faster than the average because transplants - but it is no different than how northern cities grew in the 20th century. Yes people had more children back then, but those cities did not get that big with everyone having 15 children. They got that big through having a lot of jobs that the south did not have. Now the south, and Charleston, is getting a ton of jobs, so obviously people will come for them.

We joke about the Ohio invasion and Yankees and what not, but for the most part people really dont care that much. And its not people moving heres fault that infrastructure wont keep up. The only issue I really have is when people complain that others move here because they assume politics. "Theyre from NY? That means theyre blue and we can't have that here." Um...yes we can. Nor is everyone in NY "blue." They may not even be red for that matter either. Everyone in SC is not red either. You can't blanket an entire state. I just went to Utah and it could easily be 4 different states.

There is no LAW that states that South Carolina must be this, Charleston must be that. Being okay with the growth as long as 100% of the people coming vote for who you want them to, is stupid logic and the color does not equal "southern charm", which is what everyone claims is being lost. Atlanta is much, much bluer, yet still has 1000x times more southern charm than Oklahoma City. Peoples attitudes and what they bring is more important.

I dont care who moves, as long as theyre okay with what theyre going to get. Dont move to Charleston and complain that it never snows or that every september you have to go on hurricane watch or that you cant eat In and Out. Take wherever you move to for what it is and appreciate it and the people there, or move elsewhere.

Old 09-02-2021, 06:41 AM

I don't think people care who moves here as long as those who choose to do so don't get here and start complaining that it's not like where they came from just with a warmer climate. There is a pace of life here that people don't want to change. They don't want to hear about why you can't get your bagel or pizza. They don't like to have the way they do things to be mocked by someone fresh off the moving truck.

Philosophically, the current majority of natives don't want an influx of transplants to change us into a "Nanny State". There's a mentality of individual responsibility, choice, and independence that they don't want a government, state, local, or federal messing with.

Obviously, those natives who desire government to have a bigger role in our lives, welcome a migration of those of like mind.

So depending on who you talk to, there will be different opinions.

Old 09-02-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
I don't think people care who moves here as long as those who choose to do so don't get here and start complaining that it's not like where they came from just with a warmer climate. There is a pace of life here that people don't want to change. They don't want to hear about why you can't get your bagel or pizza. They don't like to have the way they do things to be mocked by someone fresh off the moving truck.

Philosophically, the current majority of natives don't want an influx of transplants to change us into a "Nanny State". There's a mentality of individual responsibility, choice, and independence that they don't want a government, state, local, or federal messing with.

Obviously, those natives who desire government to have a bigger role in our lives, welcome a migration of those of like mind.

So depending on who you talk to, there will be different opinions.
That's everywhere though. Californians dont want people to move there and then complain about wildifires and traffic and the lack of Publix. Every place has a way they do things. But I honestly really have not seen all this "it was better at home, why aren't yall like home" complaining that CD says people do. I've met people who miss home and would go back, but not really anyone who misses home but plans to stay with a mission to transform the place. It's much easier to just...move. Which ive seen quite a few people do.

Also no one is going to change Charleston into a nanny state. That doesnt make sense. A nanny state is not an actual thing, yet to become one figuratively, requires a lot more than just people moving in.

Charleston and SC does not subscribe to one side. But Charleston does have a unique culture. I dont care where people come from, as long as they know what theyre getting with that culture and want to embrace it. The people ive met in Charleston who came from the north, west, Colorado, So Cal, Long Island, Bahamas, Hawaii, the UK, etc, have done that. None of them tried turning Charleston into a "nanny" or whatever. People appreciate it.

Also, the stereotype that southerners are so nice, polite, respectable folks while everyone else is a rude grumpy pants is really not true at all. I've experienced it a lot this year.

Old 09-02-2021, 10:00 AM

I believe the definition of a Nanny State depicts a point where the populace's choices are limited by the government "for their own good". An example being when NYC banned big sugary drinks. As with everything, it's a grey scale I imagine.

Old 09-02-2021, 10:21 AM

I know what a nanny state is, I'm just saying its not really a thing in practice, its a perception. I get your argument, but context is needed, not just a headline. It wasn't a complete ban on sugary drinks, it was on sugary drinks above 16 oz, and it was proposed by Bloomberg himself, not the state of NY, NYC, or NY voters. The ban also wouldn't have affected convenience stores, grocery stores, or refills. You could still go into 7/11 and get your XXXXXL Coke. And: it didn't pass, so its moot.

I dont think sodas are healthy and we clearly have an obesity and diabetes problem, but I agree I would not be okay with banning sodas either. But 1. that is something you never have to worry about with Charleston, it just isn't, and 2. again, it was Bloomberg, not voters. So worrying about voters coming down and turning the place into a nanny state, is dumb really.

Sure banning plastic straws, that something youve seen and can see, and it makes more sense, but there is nothing "nanny" about that, even though I still use straws. That has to do more with local coastal culture than politics. People on both sides of the aisle care about sea animals.

No one is coming in to destroy the place. Most people who arent happy simply move. I know someone from Florence who moved to NYC and was back in Florence in like 6 months. I also know people who left Charleston for NYC years ago and never looked back. Why stay in NYC and hate it? Why stay in Charleston and hate it? You cant turn one into the other. Worrying about peoples voting habits is just not important to me. Are they going to embrace the culture, be nice people, and add something to the metro, that's what I look for. Just dont be a die-hard Yankees fans, and I dont care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area