Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 06:26 AM

12,937 posts, read 18,787,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
No we should not add and widen roads to subsidize people who move an hour outside Charleston but then want to commute in every day. How about they move closer to Charleston?
Especially those who tell people they live in Charleston when they travel but don’t live in Charleston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2022, 01:01 PM

5,283 posts, read 6,221,083 times
Quote:
No we should not add and widen roads to subsidize people who move an hour outside Charleston but then want to commute in every day. How about they move closer to Charleston?
So punish people for not being able to afford housing inside of 526??? This is part of why so much of downtown really sucks now- no one can get employees to travel in at lower wages and the professionals are basically treating work from home as equivalent to actual salary.

Although this does hit on the other unfortunate truth about Charleston- unless you have $, housing is going to prove very disappointing.

Old 09-07-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
So punish people for not being able to afford housing inside of 526??? This is part of why so much of downtown really sucks now- no one can get employees to travel in at lower wages and the professionals are basically treating work from home as equivalent to actual salary.

Although this does hit on the other unfortunate truth about Charleston- unless you have $, housing is going to prove very disappointing.
This is why I have no patience for people complaining about new housing construction on the peninsula and close by in West Ashley and on James Island. They need to build housing as densely as possible and lots more of it faster across all price points - away from low-lying spots.

Old 09-09-2022, 10:04 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,442,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Especially those who tell people they live in Charleston when they travel but don’t live in Charleston.
Who would that be?

Old 09-09-2022, 10:10 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,442,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
More roads, more concrete, more asphalt, more gas being burned, more reliance on Arabia and Russia. More things that have to be maintained, which means more taxes diverted to roads, instead of schools and parks.

My opinion isn't meant to be a punishment, just a reality check. I don't want my state to subsidize roads so that downtown employers can continue to pay their service workers peanuts, while making them drive 2 hours per day to get those peanuts. If that means I have to pay more for a burnt tasting Starbucks coffee, so be it. If that means I can't afford to eat out every other day, lunch and dinner, I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

Old 09-09-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Who would that be?
Putting me on the spot -

People who live in the area but not in Charleston. Like people who live in Atlanta’s suburban cities and towns outside the actual city but tell people they live in Atlanta when they visit SC.

Old 09-09-2022, 03:02 PM

5,725 posts, read 4,705,104 times
Quote:
Putting me on the spot -

People who live in the area but not in Charleston. Like people who live in Atlanta’s suburban cities and towns outside the actual city but tell people they live in Atlanta when they visit SC.
Literally everybody does it. If we’re traveling we say the Charleston area. Many people have never heard of Mount Pleasant.

Old 09-09-2022, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Literally everybody does it. If we’re traveling we say the Charleston area. Many people have never heard of Mount Pleasant.
“The Charleston area” is one thing. Saying “Charleston” when you’re traveling if you live in Mount Pleasant, but have issues with the city of Charleston and are always speaking against actually living in the city of Charleston or crying out against annexation into Charleston and such on the local level is a different animal.

Old 10-02-2022, 01:46 PM

2,673 posts, read 2,238,434 times
Quote:
“The Charleston area” is one thing. Saying “Charleston” when you’re traveling if you live in Mount Pleasant, but have issues with the city of Charleston and are always speaking against actually living in the city of Charleston or crying out against annexation into Charleston and such on the local level is a different animal.
Most of them probably say that so that they don't have to get into a long belabored conversation:
For example:

I'm from Cottageville...

Oh... it's just outside Walterboro on I-26.. about halfway between Charleston and the Georgia border. In rural country.

Oh... it's about a 45 minute drive from Charleston.... We go to the beach a lot and it's close enough to shop and all that....

Oh yeah... everybody's heard of Charleston.... but I don't want people to think I'm trying to glom onto that glamour and status. So I just tell them I'm from Cottageville so I can continue into a 10 minute conversation about where it's at....

No. I haven't seen too many Klansmen out there... no burning crosses.... thank God.

Old 10-02-2022, 04:56 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,658,098 times
Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area