Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 09:44 AM

4 posts, read 17,951 times

Advertisements

I just moved to charleston yesterday to research opening a vintage clothing store downtown.

I lived in NYC for the past 7 years (yeah I know, can't compare the two) and was wondering if you guys could share an honest opinion about me setting-up shop here. I know Grannies Goodies shut down. I know there are 4 colleges here. I know I love this city - but the bricks that built the structures typically don't buy clothing!

Is there even a market here for what I'm selling?

I also specialize in small designer pieces. Trendy stuff that usually takes places like Urban Outfitters a few years to pick up on.

Another one of my main concerns is this: There doesn't seem to be too much of an underground arts/music scene here (the people who buy my stuff). Perhaps it's so "underground" that nothing is posted online or in the weekly city paper.

Anyone have any leads?

This city is gorgeous!!! I know my people are hiding from me, such a place that takes culture and history so severely simply HAS to have it own thing going on!!!

I don't know ANYONE here - hence the reason why I posting in the first place.

Help me. Please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 10:46 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,023,060 times
Have you checked out the Charleston Music Farm? How about Voodoo Tiki Bar and Lounge in West Ashley? Hit up the bartenders in Voodoo and Gene's Haufbrau across the street. Bartenders know everything, and many of them are musicians around town.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:23 PM

48 posts, read 134,253 times
Hey Gimme_tiger.
I have been reading these posts for a long time now as my family maybe moving to the Charleston area. I had found that most people are very helpful with whatever questions that your have. With that being said, there are a few that are just miserable and want nothing more to do then to criticize people and jump all over you. Take a look at the thread "moving to the northeast from Charleston" and you will see what I mean.
I wish that I cold help you in your research. Good luck with the biz and when we do make it there, I will be one of your customers. I love that stuff!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-26-2008 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: we do not dictate what others post

Old 06-03-2008, 07:15 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,768,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme_tiger View Post
"Not to throw water in your face...but you moved here to RESEARCH opening up a vintage clothing store WITHOUT doing any research when you were back home!?

Simply amazing. I'm stunned by how many people move here who haven't secured employment first. That's just plain dumb, especially in today's economy."

Ummm. Not to throw water in my face?! WOW - your jumping the gun on a situation you don't know any extensive details about. I thought the people from Charleston are suppose to be NICE and polite.. Let me guess - either you are not from Charleston or your just a miserable person that has nothing better to do with their frustrations than harshly criticize a stranger on public message board (it usually reflects from such an attitude).

Very sad.

Anyway, try the college bars for feedback and suggestions. I know exactly what type of clientele you attract....went through that phase myself in college back in the '70's. Wild Wings, Wet Willies, Mellow Mushroom (restaurant/bar), and Music Farm are a few I can think of...I'm sure there are lots more. Yes, there is an "underground" music and art world in Charleston...but I'm too "over-the-hill" to know about it anymore. What about typing up a survey and posting around campus at C of C...have people respond via e-mai?

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-26-2008 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: we do not dicate others opinion

Old 06-04-2008, 08:12 AM

28 posts, read 121,658 times
gimme_tiger,

If you stick with the college areas, you will be fine. There aren't that many quality vintage stores around here, aside from the Goodwill stores and maybe one or two spots. If Loose Lucy's can survive for years in downtown, so can you.
As for the arts thing, it comes and goes in different places, there is no specific "underground" art scene. Old North Charleston is actually making a strong comeback in this area, aside from that it's hit or miss in downtown Charleston.
Take a look at some local sites like Antiques.sc and CharlestonCityPaper.com.
Good luck!

Old 07-10-2008, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 7,041 times
Default Vintage clothing.

Try Exchange Factor on Meeting St. vintage and used clothing..great stuff, they don't really advertise. They have a huge store in the north area as well. Good luck, love to see more vintage.

Last edited by A clothes lover; 07-10-2008 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-10-2008, 10:22 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,488,465 times
i know i would definitely shop at a vintage store. there are enough really expensive boutiques that carry all the name brands...and a new one just open recently on king. we need a nice vintage store on king.

as far as the music scene, this girl who cut my hair at bellezza sings at night somewhere. her name is brittany. she's very hip and trendy and i bet you two would hit it off. stop in and get a trim and talk w/ her about the underground music scene. i can't remember where she said she sings but i just know she would be helpful.

also pick up the Charleston City Paper - Charleston - Food | Music | Events | Arts | News - which you may have already seen. it lists a lot of music and other happenings that go on.

i think you have a market here. i think everyone is ready for vintage other than "urban outfitters" vintage....

and until you get a store set up, you can check into the medical university and other places that once in a while have tent shows set up. probably about once every other month or so there will be tons of vendors set up in the horseshoe and i know when i worked there, i spent lots of $$. and then there's always the market you can try to set up a stand in.

good luck!

Old 07-14-2008, 11:39 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,249,733 times
I don't think Charleston has a large underground music scene, at least compared to large cities as Charleston is really more of a small to medium sized city, but there is one there. Definitely talk to students around C of C to get a good idea about it. The Music Farm does put on some decent shows every now and then. The Pour House can have some good live music at it as well. Keep us updated on your progress, vintage clothing is still cool to me even though I'm almost 30.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:23 AM

3 posts, read 19,669 times
I would like to offer to help you find a space to lease for your vintage clothing store. I think the Elliotborough/Cannonborough commercial corridor is perfect for that sort of thing. Please visit my website 53 Cannon for more information. Good Luck with your new endeavor!

Old 04-20-2009, 07:30 AM

3 posts, read 9,745 times
I am also interested in selling vintage and classic clothing. I would like to link up with 2 or 3 like-minded people and co-op a small shop, preferably downtown. E-mail me at FOBofSC@aol.com if this this sound like a good idea to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area