Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2007, 10:46 AM

89 posts, read 421,309 times

Advertisements

My company is moving my family from the SF Bay Area, CA to South Carolina in July, 07. Our facility is in Summerville close to 26 and 17. I notice that this is Berkeley Co. and I hear Dorchester Co. has better schools. We have 1 son going into grade 11. Summerville High seems to be on the west side of Summerville and being close to the high school would be nice. We are looking for a 4 bedroom home and would like a good quiet more established neighborhood not necessarily a new development. We prefer larger trees, mature lawns, etc. Any advice on good neighborhoods to look at? Is downtown Summerville more expensive than the outlying developments? I will appreciate any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 11:44 AM

890 posts, read 4,328,083 times
Downtown Summerville is the historic district, so yes homes around there generally cost a little bit more.

If you could give me a price range for a home I could recommend a few neighborhoods for you.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:58 AM

We are looking for something around $200K. Probably a range from $150K to $225K. Thanks

Old 02-15-2007, 12:45 PM

35 posts, read 121,088 times
Default Summerville tomorrow!

We are actually going down to Summerville this weekend to look at some areas. I am currently working with a realtor even though we're not officially buying yet and she was very understanding and has been a great help so far. If you would like her name and office let me know!

Old 02-15-2007, 02:08 PM

Highwoods Plantation
White Gables
Newington Plantation
Plum Creek
Legend Oaks

The last two are the furthest from the high school. Highwoods is the closest. Newington isn't too far either. Newington is an older neighborhood and has more mature trees and yards. Legend Oaks has new construction but there is also an older section that is a little more mature.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the replies. Two older neighborhoods have been mentioned, Newington and Ashborough in another post. I can't seem to find a map that has these locations or lists the areas. Do you know the cross streets so I can Mapquest these?
Thanks

Old 02-15-2007, 03:58 PM

There are two Ashborough's located across the street from one another just so you don't become confused. There is Ashborough and Ashborough East. Ashborough East is more expensive and a little newer than Ashborough. The crossroads for Ashborough are Dorchester Road and Tabby Lane. Ashborough East is Dorchester and Brandywine.

Coming from the high school to Newington you would take Boone Hill Road to Luden Drive to King Charles Circle or you could take Bacon's Bridge to Lee Street to King Charles Circle.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:01 PM

Thank you very much for the specific addresses. That is what I needed to get my bearings and I found that mapquest has the areas designated.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,921 times
We used to live in Quail Arbor in summerville its not very far from the high school. Its an older subdivision but still nice. It has old trollie road on one side and Bacons bridge on the other. Iron gate is also ok old trees and nice yards.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the replies. Another twist in the decision. My wife has family in the Asheville, Henderson area of NC and she would like to be closer to them. Would it be possible to live in say, Simpsonville, and commute a couple of times a week to Summerville? Coming from No. Calif. I think we would like the climate in Northern SC better than the Charleston area. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area