Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 10:35 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,031 times

Advertisements

You get what you pay for, and you pay for what you get.

SC has the worst schools in the nation. Its lack of good teachers is a factor in that.

And I am a grad of the SC school system, if anyone is wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 10:39 AM

54 posts, read 170,043 times
I hear from new teach ers all the time they are leaving the profession because they feel they have no time to plan, ar not free to be creative, and are not respected as professonals. Middle school is in session from 8-4pm with 1 planning session. this is usually a meeting or something school directed. They are not allowed to leave the campus until 4pm with the students. This is the same across the grades, but with differest hours. High school teachers are the only ones that dont have to eat with their students and watch over them during recess or free time. Its a tough teaching life in SC. with little reward.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:00 PM

10 posts, read 40,276 times
I think this stance "teaching is truly a calling" is what those who don't want to pay more to get quality teachers and retain them use to justify their stance. Teaching is a calling, but that is no reason to treat these people who are great, highly qualified teachers like they are second class citizens. There's no reason that because you're good at something and you like to do it, that you should do it for less money and work more hours, just because you love it. This is why some would be teachers leave the profession for other jobs.

I've heard many say of those who do choose to leave the profession "Good, we don't need them anyway if all they want is more money." The fact is that we do need them, these are highly qualified gifted teachers who are forced to leave because they can't support a family on what they make.

In NC their payscale is somewhere in the middle, slightly less than the national average. I think that this is an issue for teachers (low pay) because there is no union. In the county I work for there are no regulations on how much planning time I have or a scheduled lunch break. I have to eat with my class and go outside with them during recess, this results in having to come in everyday at 6:30am and not leaving until 5:30 pm just to get my grading and planning done for the following day. I also must take materials home over the weekend for class on Monday. On average I work 60 hours a week, after I pay taxes, retirement and health insurance for my family I make about $6 an hour. Pretty good for someone with experience and a Masters degree right??? Not really and that's my point, is if fair that just because I love to teach and am good at it that I should work 60 hours a week and get paid far less than I deserve? No. This is why many get out, many who are qualified and good at teaching are leaving because they can't afford to be a teacher.

The state department of education complains that they have recruiting problems. If you were a graduate and two districts approached you (1 in Northern NC, the other in southern VA) and offer you a teaching job which one would you work for. The one who offered a starting salary of 31K per year or the one that offered 45K per year? Everyone would take the extra money for doing the same job, especially when it's $1,400 per month more. Yet, the higher ups at the department of education still wonder why they have problems with recruiting and retention.

Much of this may be remedied with Unions who would negotiate contracts. Other states that I have worked in which had unions had higher salaries, more teacher prep time and time for collaboration. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:27 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,761,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachers pet View Post
I think this stance "teaching is truly a calling" is what those who don't want to pay more to get quality teachers and retain them use to justify their stance. Teaching is a calling, but that is no reason to treat these people who are great, highly qualified teachers like they are second class citizens. There's no reason that because you're good at something and you like to do it, that you should do it for less money and work more hours, just because you love it. You have a very valid point! Very true!This is why some would be teachers leave the profession for other jobs.

You are right in that we are not paid as the professionals we are, doing the important job we are doing: teaching our country's future. Just about every other degreed profession is paid more than we are.

I've heard many say of those who do choose to leave the profession "Good, we don't need them anyway if all they want is more money." The fact is that we do need them, these are highly qualified gifted teachers who are forced to leave because they can't support a family on what they make. Sad, but true.

In NC their payscale is somewhere in the middle, slightly less than the national average. I think that this is an issue for teachers (low pay) because there is no union. In the county I work for there are no regulations on how much planning time I have or a scheduled lunch break. I have to eat with my class and go outside with them during recess, this results in having to come in everyday at 6:30am and not leaving until 5:30 pm just to get my grading and planning done for the following day. I also must take materials home over the weekend for class on Monday. On average I work 60 hours a week, after I pay taxes, retirement and health insurance for my family I make about $6 an hour. Pretty good for someone with experience and a Masters degree right??? Not really and that's my point, is if fair that just because I love to teach and am good at it that I should work 60 hours a week and get paid far less than I deserve? No. This is why many get out, many who are qualified and good at teaching are leaving because they can't afford to be a teacher.

The state department of education complains that they have recruiting problems. If you were a graduate and two districts approached you (1 in Northern NC, the other in southern VA) and offer you a teaching job which one would you work for. The one who offered a starting salary of 31K per year or the one that offered 45K per year? Everyone would take the extra money for doing the same job, especially when it's $1,400 per month more. Yet, the higher ups at the department of education still wonder why they have problems with recruiting and retention.

Much of this may be remedied with Unions who would negotiate contracts. Other states that I have worked in which had unions had higher salaries, more teacher prep time and time for collaboration. I don't think it's a coincidence.
This is a great post! When I commented earlier that I am a dedicated educator and did not go into the profession because of the money (yeah, all that money...), I meant that I am teaching because my heart is in it...but I do not believe for a minute that we should not be paid more. The fact that athletes in this country are paid more than teachers is pathetic. I have a Masters Degree, am a Highly Qualified Teacher, am National Board Certified, voted Teacher of the Year 3 times, have 25 years of experience....all means a little over $50,000 per year. In the Business or Banking/Investments world, with those qualifications I could be making between $250,000 and $1,000,000. But, as a public servant at the taxpayers' mercy, this is what we get. A Union would probably get us more money, but I doubt that would ever happen here. Unlike some of my friends up North, I do have a job, which I am thankful for.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:55 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Yes the unions could get you more money but the down side to that is that the property taxes would sky rocket for this area, negating one of the bigest pluses to living here.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:37 PM

28 posts, read 105,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
You get what you pay for, and you pay for what you get.

SC has the worst schools in the nation. Its lack of good teachers is a factor in that.

And I am a grad of the SC school system, if anyone is wondering.
geeze geechie -- after reading all of these posts from teachers that presumably teach somewhere in sc and hearing how dedicated they are to the job and their students, it's a shame to hear more negative comments from you or should i say continued negative comments from you -- if you can't say something nice...

Old 01-25-2009, 08:22 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,031 times
Here's how I've seen it work, and notice I said poor teachers are "a" factor, not "the" factor- 'cause there is no "the" factor. There are several, closely related.

There are, and were, many good teachers at the start of their careers. Most who see the reality, and remember that Ed majors did not (at least until the late '80's; perhaps still today) see the inside of classrooms until their Jr year- after it's too late to change majors, freak. The result is that most of the good ones leave the profession in the first 5 yrs, or so. Some who are excellent, dedicated and altruistic do stay. Those folks are few and far between.

Good example was my HS. One of the best in the state (of course, we only educated whites at that time- 1970 was the first year we integrated). In retrospect it was average by national standards, at best. I have some natural writing ability, yet when I got to El Cid I quickly found out I did not know how to write a coherent paragraph- despite the As on my report card. Maybe having 8 English teachers in 3 yrs (back then 9th was Jr High) was the cause of that?
Is that average? Probably. Many got married and left by mid-semester; one had a nervous breakdown in front of the class.
That's because, "Teaching is not something one does,but something one does until one knows what one wants to do.", as it was explained to me.

Other factors related to SC's PP rating on public ed:
No money for anything. Taxes, ya know?

But, you say, "Your experience was from the Cretaceous, it's changed."
Not really.
It's still about whites not wanting to educate blacks. Remember I said we integrated in 1970? Well, by 1980 Charleston had re-segregated.

Private Schools; "We can't send our kids THERE!"
And the community as a whole takes it in the shorts. Again.

Then there is the latest scam- the Magnet School.
Friend of mine is very high-up in the School Admin. They put it this way (circa 2000). "I did everything I could to fight against them (Magnets), but when I saw they were coming, I knew the only way for my child to receive a decent education was to get him (or her; can't be too specific, 'cause payback down in Cahlina is a B****) in one."

Educate the minority at the expense of the majority- that's classic Southernese.

I could go on, but the few who've read this get the drift.

Last edited by Geechie North; 01-25-2009 at 08:34 PM..

Old 01-30-2009, 10:22 PM

132 posts, read 336,552 times
Ok to all teachers out there...yes I get tired of hearing about how we are not professionals we get summers off, Christmas break, etc....but the point is is that we know in our heart what we are doing is something we dearly love, and that we are changing lives in a way that other people cannot. We all have a special gift and a special calling. We can't control how others may perceive us. I am proud to be a teacher just like each one of you and when I move down here next year all I know is that I will get the opportunity to continue to do what I love, but here is the kicker.....NO SNOW!!!!! I am sorry to inform you those that I will still bring my.....OH..IO! GO Bucks! haha

Old 01-31-2009, 07:42 AM

186 posts, read 578,261 times
Yeah............no snow! No more getting up at 5 am. to shovel out your car and then needing an hour to make a 15 minute trip because the roads are so icy! Talk about a fringe benefit!!!!

Old 01-31-2009, 07:52 AM

153 posts, read 380,692 times
I am seriously considering relocating either this summer or next. I just received an email from Berkeley County School System about their upcoming job fair. I am one of those teachers that is looking for a teachers union. (I know SC does not have one). For the past 2 yrs, I have worked with 2 teachers from states that have unions. (one is headed back at the end of this yr..the other will spend another yr or 2 down here and scram). After listening to the differences, I figure this is the best option for "me".

I am SO SO sick and tired of working with/for incompetent adminstrators with almost NO SUPPORT! My current ones give to the parents' every whim (not saying parents do not always have valid concerns)..but Im tired of the games. We are having some SERIOUS discipline issues that are NOT being addressed. Recently, I have been accused of picking on someone's child..she is afraid of me and doesnt like coming to school. During our MORNING CONFERENCE on a school day (over an hr long) I presented the parents with written documentation of their child's behavior (all serious infractions) never did they respond to the concerns that I had or her reading teacher...instead, they looked for other things to blame me with.

Thursday, I had to meet with an AP concerning another child whose mother feels she never hears anything good about her child..etc. Well LUCKILY yesterday (during my absence) he got into trouble calling another older student the "n" word, etc, didnt do any of his work, etc. The mother came and I was told how she was in tears because she just couldnt believe it. Also, he admitted to her, the AP, and the substitute..all the lies he had told, the fact that he did call the older student the "n" word among other things.

I do not have time to pick on students. I have been doing this for over 12 yrs. I am single mother. I am in school working on my masters so that I can improve what I do. If I come to you (parents, Adminstrators) with concerns, I want it addressed. I want a plan of action. Lets get things back on track and keep moving forward. I am not doing something that I should, let me know. Come to me in a professional manner and lets discuss things. I am a very open person and want to be the best..not just flat line and let it flow,..

My last rant, I do not like having to walk on egg shells wondering if there will be backlash for XYZ. Last yr, I suffered an illness and spent many days back and forth from doctors (mostly afterschool) and had surgery on the last day to rectify the issue (all is well now) I notified my principal of EVERYTHING!!! He was told march 18th that my surgery was scheduled for May 21st. Never had a response from him. I made all of the arrangements (sub for that day, packed, all the paper work, arrangements for my child to be cared for,etc). He waited until the week before the surgery to say it wasnt approved...to change it ...it was the last day of school. Of course I called HR..bottom line, in my end of the yr evaluation, I received all wonderful marks (as usual) BUT he tainted it talking about my attendance was lower than expected and would be monitored closely this school yr.

I know this is/was a LONG rant...but that is so crazy. I love what I do but Im beginning to resent things so MUCH! I would love to work in SC (I love it there)...Is Berkeley County a decent place? If I can find a school where I work with/for level headed professional adminstrators, etc..I AM THERE! (prayerfully) I dont need a union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area