Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 07:23 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,684,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post

My wife teaches in a title one school, their kids come to school hungry and get fed, as it is in DC. One of her students once told her that the daddy in the house was 'The candy man' the DW being a naive second year teacher thought the child was talking about vending machines, the child was not.
That is terrible that kids are being raised in that environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 10:27 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,004,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Geechie- you obviously have never laid eyes on the new West Ashley High School. It is huge and the floor plan is shared with the Mt Pleasant high school. Also West Ashley has increasing population but not necessarily increasing high school age population. Younger and older people tend not to have 14-18 year olds rattling around the house. If you read these boards you will see the clear perceptions that Mt Pleasant and Summerville are the 'in' places for people buying/moving with schools as a large criteria.

Choosing to send your child to a private school and privatizing schools are two diferent beasts entirely.

And as far as DC lacking representation- I take it you didn't see Eleanor Holmes Norton over Obama's left shoulder at the signing of the equal wage bill last week. DC has poor schools for the same reason as Downtown Charleston- cycles of poverty, lack of education among parents, lack of diversity in the schools and the fact that those things all become self-fulfilling and people opt out by paying for a home in the burbs or a private school.

I think what hurts teachers more than a lack of unionization is the fact that people rarely realize everything their jobs entail, just how many children they teach, the paper work or the actual hours. The 'they do it because they love it' attitude also gives people an excuse to undervalue them. If you told that to someone in an HR department they would put you on the list for the lowest pay increases and simply shower you with postive notes and an extra birthday cake to 'share the love.' They also have absolutely no choice in the people filling their classrooms and no way to give anyone the boot. It is like managing a company or office without any ability to lose the dead weight or troublemakers. We are all also being naive about the ability to fill a mind with knowledge when the student wants no part of it or is too preoccupied with family abuse, neighborhood violence or addictions.
So show me MS. Holmes-Norton's voting record in Congress.

Hard to get good, recent data, for West Of The Ashley, but per 2000 Census, what ST A. and Middleton HS would have drawn from (pop wise ) equals about 7,000 kids in today's numbers. Does anyone out there really think that those two HS had a combined student body of 7,000??

Nope, Most of 'em (today) are either in private schools, or not receiving any type of ed at all.
So, privatizing schools is indeed what SC has done to a large degree post-integration.

Downtown Charleston suffers (as does DC) from a long history of racism and war against the black family unit which dates back to the 1700's; you do know what the natives called what today is "The Market"? To us it was called for what its primary usage for most of its history:
The Old Slave Market.

But that's not PC today. Reminds people of reality too much.

Teachers antionwide have been scapegoats by the prevailing political winds over the past 25 years. But depending upon locale, the degree and sucess of those attacks has varied.
In SC it's been a total victory for the forces of ignorance- and I'll give you the sucessful Senatorial campaign of one Jim Demented (R-SC) as the poster child of that sucess.
Not being allowed to unionize is a major symptom of that class war.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:59 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,338,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Nope, Most of 'em (today) are either in private schools, or not receiving any type of ed at all. Everyone in this country has the same oputunity to obtain a GOVERNMENT education as everyone else, if they choose not to, or choose a private education that is up to them.
So, privatizing schools is indeed what SC has done to a large degree post-integration. I am not talking about on any degree, I am talking about TOTAL privatization of schools.
Downtown Charleston suffers (as does DC) from a long history of racism and war against the black family unit which dates back to the 1700's; you do know what the natives called what today is "The Market"? To us it was called for what its primary usage for most of its history:Show me real current racism, you have never been able to do so.
In SC it's been a total victory for the forces of ignorance- and I'll give you the sucessful Senatorial campaign of one Jim Demented (R-SC) as the poster child of that sucess.How is Senator Demint, please do not slander or Liable, a force of ignorance?
We get into these discussions all the time as you once again try to slam a place that you no longer live in and haven't for some 20 years if memory serves me correctly.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:20 AM

174 posts, read 652,480 times
I retired from education in MA. Some seem to forget the salary we got compared to the same education in other fields. Most have their master's degree in MA or have to be working toward . And, you don't get out of school until the mid-end of June and return to school end of August. There is so much pressure teachers have including the curriculum, preparing for the MCAS. Teacher's do get fired but there is a process. Those that work less than 3 years can get fired without any explanation. The qualifications for teaching may be a little intense, but that's why MA has a good education system.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:46 PM

Tom,

Did you listen to Demint's 'debate" with the then head of the SC Ed Dept during the election?

Other than that, all is can think of to respond to your post is the famous Voltaire quote.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:53 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,035,095 times
[quote=Geechie North;7328237]

Downtown Charleston suffers (as does DC) from a long history of racism and war against the black family unit which dates back to the 1700's; you do know what the natives called what today is "The Market"? To us it was called for what its primary usage for most of its history:
The Old Slave Market.

[quote]

According to several guides, slaves were never sold at the actual market. The land for that market was given to the city, with the stipulation that if slaves were ever sold there the property would immediately revert back to the family. Slaves WERE sold nearby though.

Geechie, if you hate SC so much,and you no longer live here, WHY do you bash it so often? Why waste the time or energy?

Old 02-05-2009, 06:03 PM

Simple,

I don't hate SC. I hate backwardness. And believe it or not, SC has gone backwards since the 70's.
And that's sad.

Black History: Slave Market of Charleston » Town Called Dobson

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...nk&cd=19&gl=us

From it:

Slave auctions at the Old Slave Mart ended in November 1863, and the property changed hands many times after the Civil War, and between 1938 and 1987 the building, which by
then had come to be known locally as “The Old Slave Mart”, housed a museum featuring African American and –later, African - arts and crafts.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:28 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,035,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Simple,

I don't hate SC. I hate backwardness. And believe it or not, SC has gone backwards since the 70's.
And that's sad.

Black History: Slave Market of Charleston » Town Called Dobson

City of Charleston Opens Old Slave Mart Museum | Charleston Area Convention & Visitor Bureau - <b style="color:black;background-color:#ff9999">Charleston</b>, <b style="color:black;background-color:#ff66ff">SC</b>

From it:

Slave auctions at the Old Slave Mart ended in November 1863, and the property changed hands many times after the Civil War, and between 1938 and 1987 the building, which by
then had come to be known locally as “The Old Slave Mart”, housed a museum featuring African American and –later, African - arts and crafts.

Well we both know that ranting about it on the Internet wont change it. SC doesnt change anything unless it wants to.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:40 PM

Tis true. Oh so true.

But if enough residents (the boomtowners) ever take the time to understand their new, if for many, transient home, then just maybe it'll change.

You do know the City of Charleston's motto?
Ever wonder about the order in which she lists what she guards?

Old 02-05-2009, 07:43 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,471,556 times
as a general rule, the kiss of death to the american people is their hatred of unions.
its why we are going down the tubes right now. free trade and employment at will my foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area