Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 11:33 AM

495 posts, read 1,078,730 times

Advertisements

Btw, here's the seafood plate of shrimp and oysters I had at The Wreck this past Saturday. I just had to try it after all the negative impressions, and it's as good as the first time I had it back in 2005. Had a nice conversation with the owner about local seafood afterwards too.

Which made my think - the way to really press Hyman's into a corner is ask them from whom they source their local shrimp (like the actual name of the seafood company). If they can't come back at you with a plausible answer, you've made them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 08:40 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,595,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
Btw, here's the seafood plate of shrimp and oysters I had at The Wreck this past Saturday. I just had to try it after all the negative impressions, and it's as good as the first time I had it back in 2005. Had a nice conversation with the owner about local seafood afterwards too.

Which made my think - the way to really press Hyman's into a corner is ask them from whom they source their local shrimp (like the actual name of the seafood company). If they can't come back at you with a plausible answer, you've made them out.
I need to go eat there!

Old 03-19-2012, 09:37 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,338,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post

Blue, had you eaten half of it before you took the picture?

That looks like a rather small portion...

Old 03-20-2012, 10:14 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,962,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Blue, had you eaten half of it before you took the picture?

That looks like a rather small portion...
Believe it or not that is a $21 plate you're looking at in the picture above...and served on paper plates no less.

When I sold my seafood restaurant three years ago I was charging around $10 for the same sized plate of shrimp & oysters (both domestic, wild-caught).

Not knowing exactly how seafood prices have increased over the past couple of years I would only venture to guess that I'd need to charge $12-$14 for a plate like that these days to make a decent profit. Using only local seafood would likely add $2-$3 to that price (again, only a guess on my part...but I can make a fairly educated "guess" in this case).

Old 03-20-2012, 10:24 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,023,060 times
That's the problem I have with The Wreck. It's not that the food is bad, it's actually delicious and fresh. It's that the meals come out on paper plates, with plastic cups, with the same old red rice and cole slaw regardless of what you order fried, etc. For as terrific as the restaurant -could- be, it's extremely overpriced for what you actually get. Then when you remember it's cash-only, there's no sign, etc., the appeal of going to the "hidden gem" of The Wreck seems to dry up. Great place to hit once in awhile when family comes into town, but aside from that, meh.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:26 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,283,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Believe it or not that is a $21 plate you're looking at in the picture above...and served on paper plates no less.
Rather go to Captain D's

Old 03-20-2012, 10:41 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,525,831 times
The price of doing business in the restaurant industry has skyrocketed in the past two years. My gosh, look at the price of food alone. Cash only, is not a benefit to the owner (if they are honest) it helps the customers, credit card processing companies are charging a song to process the cards each month. Many restaurants are going to paper plates etc...to save and labor costs. I don't necessarily like that but can appreciate why they do it.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:55 AM

487 posts, read 997,721 times
We Will be back for another visit in a few weeks and I can't wait to try some of those restaurants recommended in these posts. I've NEVER had a bad meal there yet. Time to diet now so I can really enjoy the food there and not feel too guilty. Can't wait for Oyster Stew.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:34 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,338,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post

When I sold my seafood restaurant three years ago I was charging around $10 for the same sized plate of shrimp & oysters (both domestic, wild-caught).

Not knowing exactly how seafood prices have increased over the past couple of years I would only venture to guess that I'd need to charge $12-$14 for a plate like that these days to make a decent profit. Using only local seafood would likely add $2-$3 to that price (again, only a guess on my part...but I can make a fairly educated "guess" in this case).
Gilligan's in Moncks Corner charges 18.95 for an all you can eat shrimp plate that comes piled high with shrimp...

Old 03-20-2012, 04:46 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,962,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Gilligan's in Moncks Corner charges 18.95 for an all you can eat shrimp plate that comes piled high with shrimp...
I completely understand.

Heck, my seafood buffet (which had shrimp and oysters along with other seafood) was only $12.95 for as much as you wanted.

You can now see where my oft frustration comes from when discussing area restaurants on the forum. I do understand that this is a different area and everything is more expensive, but when people charge 90% more for the same meal I'm used to getting elsewhere it is a bit hard to swallow (figuratively & literally).

At my favorite sushi place I used to get a sashimi platter for about $23...this platter had between 35-40 pieces of fish (which is alot...and yes I left STUFFED every time). Around here I can pay about the same $22-$24 for a "larger" sashimi platter, but I'm lucky to get more than 15-20 similarly sized pieces of fish on the plate. Again...paying double for similar items as I'm used to. Kim's in West Ashley was my favorite sushi place in town...the only place I could go and not feel taken advantage of when I left. Alas I keep hearing they have closed...and I haven't been in a couple of months to find out. Too bad. Even the acclaimed Sean Brock stated that it's his favorite go-to spot in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area