Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 07:33 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,701,557 times

Advertisements

In my experience, there isn't it much you can do, other than show up on your court date, wait for the ticket-issuing officer to show up, and plead your case with him/her. The town/county just wants their free. Chances are you won't lower that fee by much (if at all). The best you can hope for is to get the degree of the violation lowered which will save you some money on your insurance.

The one thing that might be on your side: a 100% clean driving record (if applicable).

Usually when an officer writes up a ticket, they go to their squad car and punch in your license number to see what other infractions you've had. On some occasions, if you had a clean record, they will let you off with a warning. But, sometimes they still write the ticket out anyway.

But, the OP is past that point. Your only shot is if your driving record is clean, you can make that your case to the officer. Say that you've driven safely, without infractions, for X years. That might help buy you a lower fee and infraction.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 03:09 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,766,936 times
Bottom line is: follow the laws, drive defensively, use caution and common courtesy with other drivers and you won't have to worry about all of this.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:29 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,580,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Bottom line is: follow the laws, drive defensively, use caution and common courtesy with other drivers and you won't have to worry about all of this.
You forgot the most important bottom line > That's knowing your rights when you do make a mistake!.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:10 PM

5 posts, read 14,739 times
To find out which judge is in traffic court just call the city's clerk of court for the traffic division and they will tell which judge has the case.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:42 AM

459 posts, read 1,642,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
see thats it only a fool goes into court and pleads GUILTY ,, Never,Never! no matter what!
RIGHT. That's a good lesson for you kids out there. When in trouble, always deny it. I think I'll stick to being truthful.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fqtravlr View Post
RIGHT. That's a good lesson for you kids out there. When in trouble, always deny it. I think I'll stick to being truthful.
NOW! let me think > didn't pres. CLINTON do that, ,Didn't nixion do that. I could go on and on but the most important example is what it say in the Constitution . "Inocent until PROVEN! guilty" thats how the law works . So if you are really the kind of TRUTHFUL person , when was the last time you went over the speed limit and stoped the first officer and paid you fine ! you did break the law by your standard. Were you truthful then ? I rest my case.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
NOW! let me think > didn't pres. CLINTON do that, ,Didn't nixion do that. I could go on and on but the most important example is what it say in the Constitution . "Inocent until PROVEN! guilty" thats how the law works . So if you are really the kind of TRUTHFUL person , when was the last time you went over the speed limit and stoped the first officer and paid you fine ! you did break the law by your standard. Were you truthful then ? I rest my case.
Got stopped in Columbia, SC on I-26 2 years ago by a State Transportation Officer in an unmarked black F150, doing 77 in a 55 zone. I was guilty and I mailed in the fine. End of story.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:56 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,960,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fqtravlr View Post
Got stopped in Columbia, SC on I-26 2 years ago by a State Transportation Officer in an unmarked black F150, doing 77 in a 55 zone. I was guilty and I mailed in the fine. End of story.

And how much did your insurance go up for doing 22 over the speed limit?

Old 02-05-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
And how much did your insurance go up for doing 22 over the speed limit?
No increase. The officer was kind enough to write it for less than what I was going. I got written for 9 over. I didn't try to read him the Bill of Rights and I didn't demand to have a lawyer present. I was polite and said yes, I was over the limit. I was 150 yards from where the limit went back up and was trying to get a running start. I told him so and being honest with him saved me a trip back to Columbia for court.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyFSUNewf View Post
This thread is hilarious due to Fighter 1! He is just some uneducated crazy civil rights person who has no idea how our government works, both at the state and federal levels. Also he has obviously never even read the constitution or the amendments to it or he would understand how federal laws are applicable to the states and so on.As to the original post. Write the judge and explain your situation, if you have not had many traffic violations in the past (hopefully only 1 or 2) they usually will let you off with probation and a small fine (basically court costs). If that does not work than try to talk to the officer before court like previous people have said. In the end either plead guilty, apologize and ask for a lighter fine, community service, or probation, or get a lawyer which will run you around $500 plus court costs etc.
Uneducated is that what you call sucess !DM me with you address or a PO box I will mall you several of the many cases that have been dismissed with this process> Again don't knock it untill you have tried it . As to my not knowing how our government and courts work ! try fighting city hall for 3 1/2 yrs and winning without an attorney and winning i did , so thell some one else they don't know how government works . the suit was a Title 42 , 1983 Violation of Due Process case at that.As for writing the judge! what a joke only a fool would do that it admitting guilt !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area