Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 01:12 AM

47 posts, read 168,338 times

Advertisements

We are trying to find a job somewhere, anywhere! We've done a lot of research on Charleston and like what we see.

We've had a few people call for interviews and they keep saying Charleston has not seen a hit like the rest of the country. Business is good and people are surviving. However, when we look at the numbers SC is number 3 in unemployment

What's the truth here? Is Charleston in a booming bubble of prosperity or are they worse off than the rest of the nation?

PS I love this city so I think those rosy colored glasses are getting to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 04:39 AM

459 posts, read 1,642,707 times
We are not immune by any stretch of the imagination. The Ports Authority just lost its biggest customer, and I won't start the argument as to why. There is a large contingent of Defense oriented businesses in the area, and there is much uncertainty as to how that market will be affected in the next months. Small businesses are particularly affected right now. Home remodeling has been put off in favor of home repair and home sales are rock bottom. Few construction companies can afford to start new projects, and that means local labor out of work. Catering companies and florists are two businesses I Have personal ties to and I know that have been hard hit from a personal viewpoint. Economy tightens and people cancel parties and opt for a low key gathering instead of an oyster roast or a BBQ. They send a card instead of flowers to a friend for a birthday or illness. Those are just an example of how the overall economic downturn can affect businesses you wouldn't really consider. All types of stores are closing and that means a loss of jobs. Every part of the TriCounty area has been affected by this recession. Vacations are cancelled due to uncertainty in other parts of the country. That has affected the restaurants and other tourism driven industries in the area.

Last edited by fqtravlr; 02-04-2009 at 04:45 AM.. Reason: more

Old 02-04-2009, 05:46 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,614,112 times
Bosch lays off a nice chunk of its work force, so does Cummins, Force Protection and a few other plants in the area. Resturants all over are now closed and many chain stores too are closing up shop. It's no different here than it is anywhere else in the country.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:13 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,682,160 times
I come in contact with people in many different careers and every one of them are saying how business is down (my work is down) and many have lost their jobs or in fear of losing them. There are very few tourist walking around downtown which is what the retailers and restaurants depend on. We are definately not immuned here.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:13 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
There are still jobs to be had (849 Jobs listed)

Old 02-04-2009, 07:20 AM

459 posts, read 1,642,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
There are still jobs to be had (849 Jobs listed)
Look at that list closely. You will see many listing show a location as "Nationwide". In those cases, they are not advertising Charleston area jobs.
There are Federal Government positions listed, yet there are not jobs available. These types of listings are simply resume' calls. They are accepting resume's for positions that MIGHT open up in the next year.

These headhunter sites do not reflect the job market in the Charleston area.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:24 AM

394 posts, read 1,049,347 times
And plenty of stores and restaurants open in Summerville. I've seen quite a few "sold" signs lately on some very nice homes around here. The economy isn't great anywhere but I haven't noticed a terrible decline here in Summerville. I know of only one job loss to date and he found work within 2 months. And, we're still getting party invitations right and left. Life seems to be moving along - albeit maybe at a downscaled size. I'm staying positive about the economy. Like I posted once before, I'm thankful for what I have and remind myself of it daily.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:56 AM

970 posts, read 2,951,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwishmiwi View Post
We are trying to find a job somewhere, anywhere! We've done a lot of research on Charleston and like what we see.

We've had a few people call for interviews and they keep saying Charleston has not seen a hit like the rest of the country. Business is good and people are surviving. However, when we look at the numbers SC is number 3 in unemployment

What's the truth here? Is Charleston in a booming bubble of prosperity or are they worse off than the rest of the nation?

PS I love this city so I think those rosy colored glasses are getting to me
The bottom line is that you DO NOT move ANYWHERE until you have a job lined up FIRST! Not doing that, especially in this economy, is plain stupid.

And to call your post "recession/depression" is idiotic! We're nowhere near a depression! We have a ways to go until we reach the same levels as we did during the '79-81 recession.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:57 AM

394 posts, read 1,049,347 times
Agreed. I would be terrified to move without a job.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:15 AM

355 posts, read 1,449,975 times
Well. I'm in the beauty business.

I own a salon, and have seen it slow down especially during the week. The weekends are so full I cannot squeeze another person in. But they are stretching time between appointments because money is tight but they do not want to go without.

We are definitely being hit, but still VERY much afloat. I am keeping my fingers crossed for all the independent business owners right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area