Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 03:33 PM

459 posts, read 1,643,666 times

Advertisements

Sugar Mamas Bakery, Bistro & Gourmet To Go
Specializing in desserts and cakes.
Seaside Plantation
Mt Pleasant
(843) 216-0501
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 04:33 PM

478 posts, read 1,659,116 times
Thanks for the recommendation - Mt. Pleasant is a bit of a drive (IMO) for a cake. It looks like Publix is the closest - again I'm just stunned.

Bakeries, cake makers is a HUGE business up north - and you could get any kind from an ice cream cake to a chocolate bumpy cake, and designs from photos on the cake to a Barbie doll cake... many booked weeks in advance. Not only cakes, but cookies, doughnuts, cupcakes, pastries - again it seems like there is one on every corner, or within reason.

Italian bakeries - YUM! From homemade pastas, pizza (baked or take and bake) cannolis... YES we miss the Italian bakeries a lot.

First time we moved out of state (MI) we were shocked that other areas do not have a Coney Island on every corner -- HUGE in MI - coney dogs, greek salads, inexpensive breakfasts... something we grew up with and assumed they were everywhere - when we moved to OH - we missed the Coney Island Dogs from MI. Silly things you get used to, or take for granted. But a bakery is totally different?

Old 05-20-2009, 04:37 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ17015 View Post
Thanks for the recommendation - Mt. Pleasant is a bit of a drive (IMO) for a cake. It looks like Publix is the closest - again I'm just stunned.

Bakeries, cake makers is a HUGE business up north - and you could get any kind from an ice cream cake to a chocolate bumpy cake, and designs from photos on the cake to a Barbie doll cake... many booked weeks in advance. Not only cakes, but cookies, doughnuts, cupcakes, pastries - again it seems like there is one on every corner, or within reason.

Italian bakeries - YUM! From homemade pastas, pizza (baked or take and bake) cannolis... YES we miss the Italian bakeries a lot.

First time we moved out of state (MI) we were shocked that other areas do not have a Coney Island on every corner -- HUGE in MI - coney dogs, greek salads, inexpensive breakfasts... something we grew up with and assumed they were everywhere - when we moved to OH - we missed the Coney Island Dogs from MI. Silly things you get used to, or take for granted. But a bakery is totally different?

I have my in-laws bring pastries when they come to visit, haha. Last time they came they brought me a wonderful italian sub... prosciutto, capicola, provolone, pepperoni, genoa salami, with some hot pepperoncini and dressing... and the BREAD! I did hear there is a deli on Mt. Pleasant somewhere, but yeah... bakeries and delis seem to be endangered species down here, lol.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:49 PM

We have yet to find a pizza that we like here - but we've decided that we're used to a certain kind of pizza coming from MI. We've talked about it - and figured it's all what you're used to. We could open a pizza parlor with the type of pizza WE like and no one else may like it???

So that's the scary thing about opening a business - you have to appeal to customers, or you'll go fail. I would imagine that there is little need for bakeries here -- maybe too many good southern cooks (smile)!

As for me - my cakes taste good, but look - not so good - but I have yet to try fondant (sp?) maybe one day. Martha Stewart I am not, so rather than mess up my son's graduation cake, I'd rather buy it. Thought about having his senior picture put on the top - not sure if Publix does that or not?

Oh well - I'm sure the cake will not make for a better party or not - just me sweating the silly details!

Old 05-20-2009, 06:50 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,685,050 times
This person was on Lowcountry Live and she does an awesome job with cakes.
Cakes by Kasarda Charleston, SC Home Page

I don't know if this place is still open. I see they make custom made cakes.
Simply Delicious
219 S Cedar St
Summerville, SC 29483
(843) 821-0101‎

Old 05-21-2009, 02:07 AM

5 posts, read 14,540 times
Safron is a good bakery downtown. Publix grocery store also has a good bakery

Old 05-21-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsdabeach View Post
this person was on lowcountry live and she does an awesome job with cakes.
cakes by kasarda charleston, sc home page (http://www.cakesbykasarda.com/cakes_by_kasarda_homepage.html - broken link)

i don't know if this place is still open. I see they make custom made cakes.
simply delicious
219 s cedar st
summerville, sc 29483
(843) 821-0101‎
thank you!

Old 05-21-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scjj View Post
Costco makes good cakes and they are inexpensive. I ordered one for my daughter from there and everyone loved it. They also include the filling for free whereas Publix will charge you extra for it. Half a sheet cake decorated from Costco with filling was $15, same cake at Publix with filling was going to be over $50.
Costco is where we would get the routine cakes, when we lived in MI - yes for the money you can't be the deal. I was hoping for something more custom - but that might not happen.

I'll be the first to admit - I'm spoiled after living where we did - having 3 Costco's within a 15 minute drive, Cake Specialty Shops, Bakeries, every kind of food/restaurant you could ever want within 5 minute drive, every store you could want within 10 minute drive.... you get used to things being that way - we both grew up there, and lived most of our lives there - so I'll just have to adjust the way I do things here.

Since I haven't been here that long, it's still a learning curve.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:28 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,002,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ17015 View Post

First time we moved out of state (MI) we were shocked that other areas do not have a Coney Island on every corner -- HUGE in MI - coney dogs, greek salads, inexpensive breakfasts...
OMG! I remember the Coney's from my 3 week stay in Flint MI...I was introduced to them when i was there, i think we went out EVERY single night to get one, and they taste even better at 11pm
Coney's, Fries and a COKE in the BOTTLE, mmmmmm. That's the only thing i miss in Flint

And YES, Simply delicious in s'ville is still open and GOOD, i forgot about that one

Old 05-21-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
OMG! I remember the Coney's from my 3 week stay in Flint MI...I was introduced to them when i was there, i think we went out EVERY single night to get one, and they taste even better at 11pm
Coney's, Fries and a COKE in the BOTTLE, mmmmmm. That's the only thing i miss in Flint

And YES, Simply delicious in s'ville is still open and GOOD, i forgot about that one
LOL - yes Flint is not exactly the pride of MI.

Fortunately the Continental Corner Greek Restaurant in Summerville, satisfies our Greek Salad craving. As for coney dogs - we like Perfectly Franks - not the same as those coney dogs in MI, but just as good, if not better. It's just odd growing up with a coney island on every corner, and moving as close as OH and they didn't exist. My father in law loved to pay $2.95 for a coney breakfast special - eggs, bacon, toast, hashbrowns, sometimes even pancakes - he loved volume of food at low price, he was a frugal man, when he got ill with Alzheimer - we couldn't get him to go anywhere else but those type of places - it was sad, but he was comfortable there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area