Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 08:22 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,966,303 times

Advertisements

You might try calling "The Perfect Wife" out on Butternut Road. Not sure if they cakes like you'd want, but it's worth a call. I do know they do wedding caterings and such.

As for Smoke Signals, I'm now in the building. Our name is Central BBQ. Hopefully (and I'm really praying for this one) we'll be open by the end of next week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 07:07 PM

478 posts, read 1,659,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
You might try calling "The Perfect Wife" out on Butternut Road. Not sure if they cakes like you'd want, but it's worth a call. I do know they do wedding caterings and such.

As for Smoke Signals, I'm now in the building. Our name is Central BBQ. Hopefully (and I'm really praying for this one) we'll be open by the end of next week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

GOOD LUCK! We never got to try Smoke Signals though we wanted to - we're not too far from there - so when you open -- we'll give you a try!

Best of luck!!!

Old 05-23-2009, 09:25 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,473,545 times
There's a Bakery on Folly Rd that makes really fancy cakes including those with fondant. The owner went to culinary school I think. I went in there when I first moved here. They didn't have much else but the fancy cakes. It's called Cake Stand. Here are all the Bakeries in the area Bakeries (Results 1 - 15 of 58)*~*Bakery Charleston SC 29412*~*Simple Search ~ SuperPages.com: Yellow Pages

One of the listings in the Art Institute of Charleston. That might be fun to try.

Of Course Whole Foods has a great bakery and great pizza. The meat is nitrate free as well.

I've been looking for a bakery with not just SWEET bread but SAVORY bread such as bread with a strong herb flavor.

I can tell you I was really hoping the Normandy ARtisan Bakery in West AShley near Earth Fare would be fantastic and was disappointed to find its just average. Saffron is ok but there isn't much variety there either. Hopefully one of these others will turn out to be a real find.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:08 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,771,856 times
I HIGHLY recommend The Cake Stand on Folly Road on James Island. They are a full service bakery and offer a large variety of specialized cakes, including graduation cakes. I know you were looking for Summerville area, but this is WELL WORTH the drive! She has only been open for maybe 2 years and has brought sample cookies and cupcakes to our school for the teachers to try - everything is absolutely delicious...so I ordered my mom's birthday cake there and it was beautiful to look at and more importantly, heavenly to eat! I love her frosting! (I don't like the frosting on most grocery store cakes)
The website is: The Cake Stand

Best of luck with your graduation party!

Old 05-23-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
There's a Bakery on Folly Rd that makes really fancy cakes including those with fondant. The owner went to culinary school I think. I went in there when I first moved here. They didn't have much else but the fancy cakes. It's called Cake Stand. Here are all the Bakeries in the area Bakeries (Results 1 - 15 of 58)*~*Bakery Charleston SC 29412*~*Simple Search ~ SuperPages.com: Yellow Pages

One of the listings in the Art Institute of Charleston. That might be fun to try.

Of Course Whole Foods has a great bakery and great pizza. The meat is nitrate free as well.

I've been looking for a bakery with not just SWEET bread but SAVORY bread such as bread with a strong herb flavor.

I can tell you I was really hoping the Normandy ARtisan Bakery in West AShley near Earth Fare would be fantastic and was disappointed to find its just average. Saffron is ok but there isn't much variety there either. Hopefully one of these others will turn out to be a real find.
Just after I posted my response, I saw that you had suggested the same place. BTW, I don't care for the bakery across the street from EarthFare either, nor Saffron's. There is a bakery in the St. Andrew's Shopping Center (by the Coburg Cow) which makes a lot of different breads, rolls, etc. - or at least they were there until the construction started. Don't know if they still are or not. I can't testify for the taste and quality of the baked goods there since I'm not a bread fan (just sweets!) but have heard they are good .

Old 05-24-2009, 08:12 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,473,545 times
Wow. SC BEaches The Cake Stand's photo gallery picks are pretty impressive. They even looked comparable to what the bakery on the show on the Food Network or Style network does that turns out all these unbelievablely creative cakes.

Thanks for the tip on the bakery down by Coburg's. Is it Roccos on the other side of 17 by any chance? I've seen their sign but have not stopped in yet.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Wow. SC BEaches The Cake Stand's photo gallery picks are pretty impressive. They even looked comparable to what the bakery on the show on the Food Network or Style network does that turns out all these unbelievablely creative cakes.

Thanks for the tip on the bakery down by Coburg's. Is it Roccos on the other side of 17 by any chance? I've seen their sign but have not stopped in yet.
I know.....she is truly a "cake artist". The cookies are to die for, too. Yes, Rocco's is the name of the bakery I was talking about - just couldn't think of the name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area