Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 11:43 AM

23 posts, read 321,902 times

Advertisements

Hi! We, (4 adults and 2 dogs), are planning a trip to the Charleston area and I was hoping for some advice/input.

We stayed on Kiawah Island last year but the house we rented is not available and since this is last minute, (we didn't think we were going to be able to go this year), there are not a lot of other options available. So it got me thinking there might be a beach/neighborhood as nice/safe as Kiawah that we just don't know about, so here I am asking for help!

It looks like there are several other beaches with vacation rentals, (Edisto, Folly, Isle of Palms and Seabrook), how would they compare to Kiawah? Are there safe areas and not so safe areas we should steer clear of? Are the others as close to Charleston as Kiawah is, as we will be going in to Charleston on several days.

Thank you very much for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 11:54 AM

528 posts, read 1,513,522 times
Kiawah and Seabrook are by far the more secluded beaches as well as the farthest from Charleston. I would recommend staying on IOP for its close proximity to charleston. All of the island is safe in my opinion as long as you are smart. There were a few break ins last summer, but mostly homes that were under construction or vacant. I haven't heard any trouble lately.
Edisto is nice as well, my family stayed there the summer after Hugo and found it to be a very different feel than IOP, but great all the same. More secluded, more nature conservancy things, a bit farther from Chas though.
Never stayed on Folly, been there many times of course for the surf when I was younger. Better waves for surfing if you interested in that and very close to Chas.
Have a great time!
Foster

Old 09-25-2009, 12:20 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,429,009 times
All areas are safe. I prefer IOP and Sullivans they are more upscale than Folly. If you can get a rental at Wild Dunes (IOP)it will give you some of the Kiawah Feel you desire.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:40 PM

Thank you both very much! I appreciate the help. I will look into IOP! I am sure the waves at Folly are great and maybe if we were younger we would be brave enough to take up surfing but for now we will stick to golf.

We did like Kiawah, as everyone was very nice and I was told it was a safe place but as long as we have that same feel and a nice beach that is what matters. Well we will be golfing on Kiawah one day and we will have brunch at Jasmines Porch, ( I think that is the name), as that was so good and we love great food!

Thanks again!

Old 09-27-2009, 05:19 PM

602 posts, read 1,515,494 times
If you liked Kiawah's secluded feel, you like Seabrook Island. Seabrook is a true gated residential community (if you're not a property owner or guest of a p.o. you won't get through the gate--unlike Kiawah's first gate, where you can tell them you are eating at Jasmine Porch, etc.).

There are no commercial businesses located with the security gate at SBI. The speed limit is 25 mph and closely monitored. This makes it a little safer for bikers, walkers/runners, etc.

I do have a neighbor who allows pets in her vacation rental. I'd be happy to share the info with you if you'd like.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:59 AM

That would be great, thank you OurGreatEscape!

Old 09-28-2009, 10:12 AM

19 posts, read 60,032 times
Isle of Palms and Sullivan's are great, close to stores in Mt. Pleasant and downtown restaurants, yet secluded enough if you do not hit the beach near the pier on IOP where all tourists go.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:29 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
20 yrs ago, when my grandparents first moved down to area to retire, they moved to Seabrook Island...they lived there until about 5 yrs ago when the moved into Franke at Seaside in MT P which is a partial assisted living community...any ways, I always liked Seabrook...it's more secluded than even Kiawah...the beach is very nice, it has 2 nice golf courses...and Bohicket Marina is just before the gate to the island...and it's great for pets, especially w/ the low speed limits on the roads, which make it safe to walk or bike ride...unfortunately, I haven't been out there since they redid their Oceanfront clubhouse and pool area, but I hear that is really nice now...

Old 09-30-2009, 05:15 AM

602 posts, read 1,515,494 times
Re: Seabrook Island's new amenities...The private Seabrook Island Club had its grand opening for the new Island House this past weekend. This place looks fab! Ocean views from almost every angle and restaurant venue.

The club's beachfront area opened this summer. We went a couple of times to the new outdoor dining venue-The Pelican's Nest. It was nice to have the ocean views and breezes while enjoying "simple" foods and cool beverages.

In August the new property owners' community center opened. The Lake House is located near the gate. It houses an outdoor pool, fitness center including an indoor fitness pool, meeting rooms, a small cafe, and a quiet spot in the library.

My college aged daughter reviewed the Lake House for me. Her reaction, "It's gorgeous!".

Can't wait til Thanksgiving when I can visit all the new amenities!

Old 09-30-2009, 05:55 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Saw the new facilities at Seabrook (the exterior) -- it was amazing. I really like the feel at Seabrook. It's a little drive to the city but a nice trip for a day away from the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area