Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2010, 01:28 PM

21 posts, read 26,283 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

Currently I am in the Northeast, (NY) area and the weather is just awful. The winters are long and all it does it snow and always cold, and I am tired of it :P

I am thinking about moving to the Charleston area in the future and wanted to know how the weather is during the winter? You guys get any snow?

Also how is it during the summer, is it always hot and humid or is it comfortable weather?

Also how is the job market? I work in the Information Technology field.

Anything else I should know you guys can give advice on would be helpful.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 02:02 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Weather: Winter is great, though this one has been exceptionally cold, actually was below freezing for 13 days in a row the last time we had snow of any sugnificance was back in '89, it is currently about 50 degrees here and sunny today. Summer is extremely hot this last about 3~3.5 months. Spring and fall are heavenly......

Job Market is soft right now, above 10%, but check with Black Baud, they are a local software company.....

If you like the outdoors, hunting, fishing, etc. this place is for you, if you are into big city living with a fast pace don't even bother....

Old 02-08-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Weather: Winter is great, though this one has been exceptionally cold, actually was below freezing for 13 days in a row the last time we had snow of any sugnificance was back in '89, it is currently about 50 degrees here and sunny today. Summer is extremely hot this last about 3~3.5 months. Spring and fall are heavenly......

Job Market is soft right now, above 10%, but check with Black Baud, they are a local software company.....

If you like the outdoors, hunting, fishing, etc. this place is for you, if you are into big city living with a fast pace don't even bother....
Great thanks for the information.

I won't be moving for at least a year, hopefully the job market picks up a little.

It's great that it hardly snows! 50 in Feb would be like a heat wave where I live.

What would you define as 'big city living'? I like the outdoors, but do not hunt or fish etc..the population where I live is about 140,000, but probably less now, how many people in Charleston?

Old 02-08-2010, 02:22 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,020 times
I have been here 5 years and it hasn't snowed yet. There were a few snow flakes one morning about 2 years ago. Tons of NY'ers move here for the lower taxes and better weather. Good luck!

Old 02-08-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachme View Post
I have been here 5 years and it hasn't snowed yet. There were a few snow flakes one morning about 2 years ago. Tons of NY'ers move here for the lower taxes and better weather. Good luck!
That's incredible, I def. will be making the move when time permits, which should be in a year or two. I just can't live with this awful weather for the rest of my life :P

Thanks for the info.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:44 AM

19 posts, read 49,632 times
We moved here from western NY last August and haven't seen a snowflake yet! We have seen a few cold days (and nights) this winter, but it's no comparison to the endless winter in NY and the best part is......the sun shines! No more gloomy weeks (sometimes months) on end. You'll love the property taxes down here......about 1/10th of what they are in NY.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:39 AM

662 posts, read 1,411,246 times
The weather here will seem wonderful to you and the people are generally friendlier. Yes, our summers are hot but no hotter than your hottest summer days, just more of them down here. Something is in bloom year round too. Another funny thing I noticed when I moved here from Connecticut is that the cars stay so much cleaner! IT is a good field to be in. Check with SPAWAR. There was an article on those jobs in the paper Monday.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:37 AM

Malaf - Good to hear! I really want to be in a place where their is actual sun and as you mentioned no more gloomy weeks followed by maybe 1/2 day of sun and then not see it again for another week!

1lisat - Good to hear. I have heard a lot of good things about the people and how friendly they are, it can be rough where I am most of the time. I have some time before I start looking for jobs, but just wanted to know how the job market was going right now. I will check in with SPAWAR as I get closer.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:23 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharptech View Post
Great thanks for the information.

I won't be moving for at least a year, hopefully the job market picks up a little.

It's great that it hardly snows! 50 in Feb would be like a heat wave where I live.

What would you define as 'big city living'? I like the outdoors, but do not hunt or fish etc..the population where I live is about 140,000, but probably less now, how many people in Charleston?
Greater Charleston say a 20 mile radius of downtown has about 550,000 or so. The Immediate downtown historic area has about 110,000 I think. I think big city living would be at least triple this size.. Charleston is medium size. There aren't any BIG cities in South Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area