Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2010, 12:26 PM

467 posts, read 1,189,580 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My Husband and I are coming to Charleston for a quick getaway the first weekend in April. My inquiries are:

1) The "Gardens". My Husband has been to Charleston a few times, but only in the summer months - and when he was a teenager. I have never been. Me being a photographer, he really cannot wait for me to see the "gardens". Could you give me some personal insight/info/recommendations? Even more so, will a lot be in bloom? My MIL has a picture of this "Angel Tree" in her home that she photographed quite a while back which has me intrigued.

2) Food. The only food scene and scope into Charleston food I'm familiar with is with what I've seen on Bizarre Foods and Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations. My Husband is the adventurous eater, but I'm limited with what I can eat. Any must eat at places? Places that cater to a variety of eaters?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 12:45 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,335,571 times
Magnolia Plantation and Gardens should be in full bloom, I don't have my jump drive with me so I can't show you some of my DW's pictures but if you look up at the picture thread at the top of the page you should see some of the great photos that have been taken around town.....

Food is varied and wide spread, must eat would be Hominy Grill for breakfast, Jestin's for Lunch, RB's for dinner and Kaminsky's for desert.....

For the best steaks in town hit the Oak Steak House on Broad st.....

Old 03-19-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Magnolia Plantation and Gardens should be in full bloom, I don't have my jump drive with me so I can't show you some of my DW's pictures but if you look up at the picture thread at the top of the page you should see some of the great photos that have been taken around town.
Geez, failed to do this. But thank you-thank you, and I will. This is great news and I'm super excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Food is varied and wide spread, must eat would be Hominy Grill for breakfast, Jestin's for Lunch, RB's for dinner and Kaminsky's for desert.

For the best steaks in town hit the Oak Steak House on Broad st
Again, thank you! I will punch these into the GPS. Hominy Grill is ringing a bell... Much appreciated.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:05 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,335,571 times
RB's is on Shem Creek and Kaminsky's is downtown so you will have to come back accross the bridge after dinner for desert but it is worth the trip....

Page 4 post #34 in the picture thread, are a few pictures my DW took.

Last edited by OleTomCat; 03-19-2010 at 01:18 PM..

Old 03-19-2010, 03:53 PM

Those are gorgeous photos!

Old 03-20-2010, 04:47 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,524,847 times
I am sure walking on along The Battery that weekend will provide for some beautiful pictures!

As far as eats....

Hank's for Seafood, High Cotton on East Bay for both wonderful steaks and seafood (the Henry Bain sauce is a must!) Jestine's Kitchen for b'fast, but you have to get there early.

Enjoy! We will be in town that weekend as well.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:53 PM

Thank you Chromekitty.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:11 PM

459 posts, read 1,643,238 times
Things are starting to bloom now. Azalea Festival is next weekend in Summerville.

As for food, I would highly recommend you find time to go to John's Island and visit The Fat Hen. Nice local flavor with a hint of fine dining. Just a hint, though... which is good for me.

Fat Hen - Johns Island, SC

Old 03-23-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fqtravlr View Post
Oh wow... thank you!

I shouldn't have looked at the Brunch Menu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area