Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 09:17 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,039,100 times

Advertisements

I've always liked the food at Shoneys, and sometimes visit the one in Morgantown for lunch with my wife.
It is just surprising that they are letting their restaurants get run down like that. They do generally have good crowds. I think it is a tribute to the food, and not the ambience.

The last time my wife and I were in Louisville we saw a Shoneys and stopped there for lunch because it was a familiar name. Same good food, and run down facilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 09:43 PM

708 posts, read 1,156,850 times
Stopped at a Shoneys near Nashville recently and it was pretty run down and ragged out. Meat Loaf was undercooked, but i wont do that. Some of the plates weren't clean. The fish and chicken were ok. Everything had a greasy haze to it, I mean everything.

We stopped at Cracker Barrel(there every 15 miles it seemed) and I was surprised by the quality of the food and service. I recommend the Catfish platter.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:31 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,512 times
Other than the breakfast bar (see my prior post), the only thing Shoney's is reliably good for is the hot fudge cake. That's a carryover from the old Big Boy days. As a kid, age 7/8, I remember the hot fudge cake from Big Boy Restaurants, and Shoney's still has the same thing, and it's still good, and so is HFC from the other still-in-existence Big Boy franchises.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:11 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
There used to be Shoney's restaurants in Dunbar, South Charleston, and Saint Albans until recent years. It's sad to see a WV company to hurt like that, but tp be honest I was never a big fan.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:57 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
There used to be Shoney's restaurants in Dunbar, South Charleston, and Saint Albans until recent years. It's sad to see a WV company to hurt like that, but tp be honest I was never a big fan.
Well, at least 2 of those have turned into great Mexican restaurants. Rumor has it that the one on Kanawha City will become one too. (Does anyone know for sure if Los Agaves is owned locally in South Charleston/Dunbar?)

Last edited by mensaguy; 05-09-2013 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: I had a thought.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Well, at least 2 of those have turned into great Mexican restaurants. Rumor has it that the one on Kanawha City will become one too. (Does anyone know for sure if Los Agaves is owned locally in South Charleston/Dunbar?)
Not against good Mexican food, but that lot in Kanawha City would make a good something else. I'm feeling Sheetz Did that Shoney's actually go under, or is it just rumor? And IDK about if they are local, but I do like the one in South Charleston,

Old 05-09-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Not against good Mexican food, but that lot in Kanawha City would make a good something else. I'm feeling Sheetz Did that Shoney's actually go under, or is it just rumor? And IDK about if they are local, but I do like the one in South Charleston,
The one at 36th St. is closed. I heard via rumor that it would become a mexican restaurant. A friend I have seen at SC Los Agaves went to Dunbar and saw half the employees from SC and said the food was just the same. One waiter said they brought some of the experienced staff to train the employees when they opened the new one. The singer/guitar player at the SC Los Agaves on at the Dunbar location on Wednesdays and at Bridge Road Bistro on Thursdays.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:01 PM

Do you really think that Shoney's property at 36th St. is big enough for a Sheetz? I'd probably spend some money at Sheetz once in a while, but I always assumed when they built one it would be up near the Turnpike near Kanawha Mall.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:08 AM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
Stopped at a Shoneys near Nashville recently and it was pretty run down and ragged out. Meat Loaf was undercooked, but i wont do that. Some of the plates weren't clean. The fish and chicken were ok. Everything had a greasy haze to it, I mean everything.

We stopped at Cracker Barrel(there every 15 miles it seemed) and I was surprised by the quality of the food and service. I recommend the Catfish platter.
OMG that is my favorite thing at Cracker Barrell and I always get it with the dumplings and collared greens and mashed potatoes. I do love that place and am glad there is one in Charleston. Also like Lonestar Steakhouse a lot apparently its a chain but there are no locations where I currently live.

In terms of local restaurants I truly loved the Top Spot Country Cookin in Sissonville. I was expecting a little bit larger servings though its pretty generous I must have been very hungry. Their menu said that they've catered for President Bush Jr twice. He obviously must have liked it the first time! They also actually try to be healthy according to their menu and website. They have a Laundromat attached which si good and convenient and a great idea for people to put their clothes in there and then get food. I definitely need to check out Tudor's Biscuit World someday. From the website it looks like they can give Dennys, Waffle House, or IHOP a run for their money for sure.

As for non-restaurants....I've explored the area the past two days on a house hunting trip (I am most likely settling on Sissonville due to connections I have with the area and special deals as a result).....I think there definitely can be an additional Walmart in the Charleston area either around Sissonville/Pocatalico or in the city on the north side of the river. Right now the only Walmart inside Charleston is in Southridge Center and there is nothing on the north side of town. I know there is Cross Lanes and also one past Belle but there can definitely be one closer to Sissonville. I've noticed Sissonville is 20-25 minutes from all the closest Walmarts....in Southridge, Cross Lanes, and up 77 in Ripley. I think there is definitely the market and population for a Walmart by Sissonville or in the north side of the city, perhaps around the Charleston Town Center Mall. I mean its not that bad driving 20 minutes to Walmart especially if its combined with other trips for other purposes but would be nice to have one closer by, though Save a Lot is cheap for groceries (its annoying that they charge for bags though). I still have to check out Foodland I hope they are cheap and have a good selection. For household items, cleaning supplies, clothes etc I almost always stick to Walmart.

Last edited by Tom Lennox 70; 05-10-2013 at 01:32 AM..

Old 05-10-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Do you really think that Shoney's property at 36th St. is big enough for a Sheetz? I'd probably spend some money at Sheetz once in a while, but I always assumed when they built one it would be up near the Turnpike near Kanawha Mall.
It would be a tight fit there on 36th for one, but I think they could make it work. But near the mall on the other end of Kanawha City would probably work better. Truthfully Kanawha City would be able to support two Sheetz, but you have to have one before you can have multiple.

I think that Mexican Restaurant would work better down in one of the empty spaces at the Shops at Kanawha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston