Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 07:02 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
Trying to imagine Laidley Tower 4 stories shorter is not a pleasant picture. It would be turned into a short squatty type of structure because it is a fairly wide tower as is. I still have a gag reflex looking at the Charleston skyline and trying to figure out why they allowed the hideous almost all brick ATT building to be built right up against of the old Kanawha Valley building tower. It blocks out the view from one side of the KV building and it has no aesthetic qualities for a building of that size.
The phone company building looked a lot better before they bricked up all the windows. It was also shorter when it was built.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:08 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,509,689 times
Beautiful picture of the color-changing, LED lighting outside of the coliseum.

https://www.facebook.com/charlestonc...type=3&theater
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 09:23 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Was downtown this evening and noticed how nice the CC&CC looked tonight with a Christmas themed lighting pattern. Driving down Clendenin Street, the accent lights they put between the two entrance points look amazing! Plus the glass lobby lights and street lights near the crosswalk look incredible. They really did a good job! I took a picture with my phone, but it sucks. I will try to take a better one next time I’m by there in the dark.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:36 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,712 times
Not sure if this is the best thread for this information but the city will need to find a new GM for the Civic Center.

WV MetroNews Robertson to retired from Charleston Coliseum and Convention Center - WV MetroNews

Old 09-25-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Not sure if this is the best thread for this information but the city will need to find a new GM for the Civic Center.

WV MetroNews Robertson to retired from Charleston Coliseum and Convention Center - WV MetroNews
Hopefully a replacement with lofty goals will fill the position.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:09 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,881,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Hopefully a replacement with lofty goals will fill the position.
This could be the best news for downtown in a long time. Very poor administration the past several years, in my humble opinion.

Old 09-25-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
This could be the best news for downtown in a long time. Very poor administration the past several years, in my humble opinion.
If somebody had a vision, there is no reason why Charleston couldn't have a first rate offering in conventions and events with their new facilities. Sure another higher end hotel would be helpful to that cause, and the state of the mall is shameful at best. A rising tide raises all boats. If the Civic Center could land a few more events a year, then those other problems will work themselves out in time. In order for the CTC to have any hope, there needs to be tourism dollars coming into the city and staying downtown for conferences and events.

Old 09-25-2019, 11:39 AM

456 posts, read 602,379 times
The civic center is definitely in need of new management and direction. It has seemed stagnant for years with no real aggressive vision or marketing. I do think something has to happen with the mall for it to thrive and there hasn't been a word on that lately so it seems lost to being turned around. There is little vision with the city or the owners of the mall and a high end hotel is needed to really make the civic arena look appealing.There is little reason to go to downtown Charleston now and till the mall is repurposed that wouldn't change. I haven't seen any effort from the new mayor to do anything. It looks like the same tired leadership the city has had for 40 years.

Old 09-25-2019, 01:41 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,712 times
Gotta give the new mayor time to fix the issues she inherited and get the city pointed in the right direction. Remember, she has 16 years of "doing nothing" from city hall to clean up.

I agree that any recovery for the mall space and expanding the civic center has to work hand in hand. Let's hope that the new civic center general manager comes in with vision and if need be, cleans house, to get the right people in place.

Old 09-26-2019, 03:14 PM

146 posts, read 166,265 times
the best hope for the mall is to try and get it sold to a Company that knows how to reinvent and successfully run the thing.......does anyone have Simon's number on their phone? They do a great job of both redeveloping and recruiting higher end retailers and restaurants to their properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston