Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 08:09 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,074,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Unfortunately it's the mentality of hold everyone else back to make sure they don't surpass you. The state leaders in Charleston are so caught up in maintaining the largest city title that they don't seem to care if they kill the rest of the state in the process. Our leaders in this state are too caught up in titles and maintaining ultimate power. God forbid they encourage some prosperity. This is ultimately seen in the hesitance to give cities more power to govern themselves. If "Charleston" maintains what cities can and can't do, they maintain power. Nevermind the fact that other more prosperous states have seen that this doesn't work too well. Huntington and other cities face different circumstances that could be dealt with better on a local level. Another example is if things were changed to base funding on population, this would allow the larger areas more funding and reward growth rather than allowing whoever is in power to cater to the areas he/she favors. Our education system needs similar funding to a system based on so much money/student. Both of these things would make sure that everyone gets an appropriate share while adjusting to changes in population. Makes too much sense to institute though and wouldn't allow for pet projects/favoritism so it wouldn't be well received.
Bailey, I agree with you 100%. They will artificially create a bogus city that isn't really a city just in order to keep that dubious distinction. Any time they build something somewhere else in the State, the comments you get in the newspapers there are "is it at least being RUN out of Charleston"? It is really just another small town in the State, but you'd think the whole State existed just to prop them up. Their reliance on state government (always low paying) and heavy industry (it is a vanishing breed) have taken a toll on the place. Now they are trying to make up for it with artificially inflated numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 02:31 AM

130 posts, read 368,350 times
IMO.

Huntington was looking into doing the same thing. But I refuse to have to pay for Huntington's city leaders' mistakes. That's the way I see it.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:50 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,329,220 times
If I was Huntington's Mayor, I would annex all the land from Huntington to the Charleston City Limit and take in Putnam county (new airport) too...It's regionalization of areas that will get us out of the Obam-mess...the weaker, non-productive, costly areas will see their people move to the regions where they can survive.

Don't believe me?...look at the country now...California wanting to separate into 3 distinct states..Texas wanting a soverignty away from the US...How about the present migration to Wv?

Old 05-27-2009, 01:20 PM

19,873 posts, read 22,770,851 times
In any and all events, redrawing the Charleston city limits to keep their 50,000 pop mark is not the solution to the underlying problem(s). Charleston (ergo the state) should address the problems that MAKE people want or have to leave.

Yeah I know- fat chance lol.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:13 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,329,220 times
We need a new state motto...how about, "Quidis in Meanum" 'What's in it for me'. Has been the unofficial state motto for decades...let's get it on the flag.

This is the basic reason we do not have a diversity of businesses here..kickbacks, siphoning money from the top and the bottom, a way of life. Almost out in the open because we have such a small population.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:15 PM

6,114 posts, read 9,157,048 times
All of you have it wrong. The idea is to incorperate "un-incorperated" parts of kanawha county, aswell as small towns with financial problems. This would only ingulf communities that want to join.

Yes this is a Charleston Problem, but Charleston affects the surronding area 100%

This is a good idea for the Charleston Metro to consider. It already functions like a metro anyway. most of the jobs are in Charleston, and this would encourage business to come to an area that is more appealing.

To become more appealing, a City needs to be larger in size, population, and heart.

As a resident of an unincorperated community North of charleston, I am all for the idea. Aswell as the "GOOD SERVICES" the city provides.

And this is coming from a Republican Against BIG GOVERNMENT!!!

Old 08-21-2009, 09:33 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,074,392 times
Are you ready for additional taxes, most of which will go to support services in the central town itself? Are you ready to have parking police harassing you with piddling tickets... new regulations on just about everything, and less say in what happens in your own community? Artificially adding people from other towns will not stop Charleston from losing population. It will only spread the problems that are causing Charleston to lose population to other areas and cause those areas to have to help pay for them.

On the other hand, if you add enough Pond Gaps and Cedar Groves, I suppose you could artificially say the population is still 50,000 but everyone would know it is bogus. What real purpose would it serve?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston