Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 12:37 PM

63 posts, read 224,007 times

Advertisements

Basically due to the fact I can't find a job that will pay me more than $8 an hour, I am looking to open a resturant in Charleston. Yes, I'm very much aware that opening a restuarant is hard, most people say not to, etc.

Ideally, I'm thinking of a 24 hour diner somewhere in downtown. Stuff like burgers, fries, hot dogs, omlettes, typical diner stuff, with low price points. There are a couple of 24 hr. places, but IHOP can be expensive, and not everyone wants doughnuts.

I'm just in the beginning stages of exploring into this, and I would really like some opinions to see if this idea would be feasible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 04:53 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,318,295 times
I'm a fan of the Brazilian Style Steakhouses, where almost an entire side of beef is brought out for inspection and a 'cut is determined. Usually cost about $65 per person.. None around in Wv that I know of..

Road traffic and location is the secret to everything.

I have an office in Middletown Mall in Fairmont and travel to Morgantown every evening. Tonight was football night with the Interstate plugged up for about 40 miles. Middletown Mall was filled with resturant patrons eating and going on to the game. An oasis is being created there for Canadians traveling to Florida,s[ports travelers and everything else (word is out that Walmart wants to install a Truck Stop, for high volume fuel sales, if they can get the land) a few new eateries every year are being built at that intersection I-132.

What is missing is a resturant/diner doing good fast HOME COOKING. Bob Evans, Cracker Barrel, ect do not get it!
If you are not stuck on doing this in Charleston, give Middletown Mall a look. Future is bright there.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:25 PM

6,081 posts, read 9,117,767 times
If your going for the diner idea, have you thought of owning a franchize

The Charleston area could use a Denny's

Old 10-05-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
If your going for the diner idea, have you thought of owning a franchize

The Charleston area could use a Denny's
I actually thought about Denny's, and had a bunch of suggestions for it from some friends. I like the franchise idea because they usually have a built-in audience already, or at least people have heard of them so that cuts down on marketing.

My problem with franchises is that the food is usually identical to other chain restuarants (I can't tell food from TGI Friday's, Applebee's, or Chili's apart..it all tastes the same to me.) I'm also a bit of a control freak and artist. With a franchise I'd have to go by the corporate standards on everything, which can be frustrating. As an artist, I'd like to have decorations on the wall which aren't random farm tools or pictures of rowing teams in Michigan from the 1800's (trends I don't get).

Other than the diner idea, I thought about doing a super-fancy place (i.e. you don't wear jeans to eat there), but I'm pretty convinced there's not a large enough market for that. I'm also not limited to Charleston, it's just that I live here. I grew up in Huntington, but I refuse to move back there.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:22 PM

532 posts, read 1,091,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVPhoenix View Post
Basically due to the fact I can't find a job that will pay me more than $8 an hour, I am looking to open a resturant in Charleston. Yes, I'm very much aware that opening a restuarant is hard, most people say not to, etc.

Ideally, I'm thinking of a 24 hour diner somewhere in downtown. Stuff like burgers, fries, hot dogs, omlettes, typical diner stuff, with low price points. There are a couple of 24 hr. places, but IHOP can be expensive, and not everyone wants doughnuts.

I'm just in the beginning stages of exploring into this, and I would really like some opinions to see if this idea would be feasible.
How about the old Quarrier St Diner?

Old 10-05-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtercupMcToots View Post
How about the old Quarrier St Diner?
That's actually my dream location. Unfortunatly, that's also the spot where they're talking about putting those FBI offices. I don't know if I'd be able to get enough money and in enough time to buy it.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:48 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,318,295 times
An old high school friend had a hotdog stand here for several years...the busness was mainly 'take outs to the federal offices. Her food was so good and the delivery done so well that eventually they asked her to install a cafeteria just for them...
Way to go, Linda...You deserve every dollar...

Those FBI people need to eat too...perhaps they would want a subcontractor to work in house for them...but that would require a security clearance...

they get two 10 minute breaks and one 30 minute break for lunch...eat on the run...

Old 10-06-2009, 09:07 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,973,799 times
An evening restaurant won't work in downtown Charleston - it clears out in the early evening. Many places have opened and closed because there's just not the prople traffic downtown after 8PM. There are some restaurants that are open for dinner but they also have full bars so unless you are willing to have a drinking establishment that is also a dining establishment, it won't work.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:37 PM

6,081 posts, read 9,117,767 times
I thought they were going to tear down the Quarrier St. diner to build the new library,

of course I hope not! That is a cool building

Old 10-06-2009, 07:11 PM

532 posts, read 1,091,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVPhoenix View Post
That's actually my dream location. Unfortunatly, that's also the spot where they're talking about putting those FBI offices. I don't know if I'd be able to get enough money and in enough time to buy it.
Give it a shot.

Although the family would prefer to sell all three properties together, they'd consider separate offers, Sadd said. "We asked $165,000 for the Quarrier Diner. This is a fabulous part of Charleston history that should be looked at."

Sadd can be reached at 304-345-2000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston