Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 01:27 PM

14 posts, read 28,433 times

Advertisements

I apologize if these questions have been asked before, I did not really find what I needed using the search function.

My husband, son, and I moved to Huntersville in April. We chose to rent at first to become more acclimated to the area prior to choosing to buy or build. He works in Mooresville, off exit 33, and I will be doing home care nursing in Iredell county starting in a few weeks.

We do like the Huntersville area, but do not particularly like the taxes, and the CMS school district sounds like it is not the best in the area.

I also have seen that many people recommend Iredell County, particularly Mooresville for lower taxes and better schools. However, I have been to Mooresville enough to know that I hate the traffic and I don't really care for its "feel" either.

After a little research and driving around, we have found that we really like Moss Creek. The commute looks like it shouldn't be terrible either. Here area the specific questions I have about the community:

1. Will the commute to Mooresville be reasonable or have lots of heavy traffic?
2. Are the schools really much better than the North Mecklenburg area?
3. It looks like D.R. Horton and Ryan Homes are the main builders for our price range (215-235K). Are both builders equal or not necessarily?
4. Are there other areas we should consider before we get set to build there? Particularly in western Cabarrus county. We have also checked out the Farm and also Curtis Pond and the other subdivision across the street. We were not as impressed with those 3.

Thanks for reading and helping us out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 02:11 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,851,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganRN View Post
I apologize if these questions have been asked before, I did not really find what I needed using the search function.

My husband, son, and I moved to Huntersville in April. We chose to rent at first to become more acclimated to the area prior to choosing to buy or build. He works in Mooresville, off exit 33, and I will be doing home care nursing in Iredell county starting in a few weeks.

We do like the Huntersville area, but do not particularly like the taxes, and the CMS school district sounds like it is not the best in the area.

I also have seen that many people recommend Iredell County, particularly Mooresville for lower taxes and better schools. However, I have been to Mooresville enough to know that I hate the traffic and I don't really care for its "feel" either.

After a little research and driving around, we have found that we really like Moss Creek. The commute looks like it shouldn't be terrible either. Here area the specific questions I have about the community:

1. Will the commute to Mooresville be reasonable or have lots of heavy traffic?
2. Are the schools really much better than the North Mecklenburg area?
3. It looks like D.R. Horton and Ryan Homes are the main builders for our price range (215-235K). Are both builders equal or not necessarily?
4. Are there other areas we should consider before we get set to build there? Particularly in western Cabarrus county. We have also checked out the Farm and also Curtis Pond and the other subdivision across the street. We were not as impressed with those 3.

Thanks for reading and helping us out!

Have you checked out Cannon Crossing? It has the same school assignments as Moss Creek but is a smaller development and not quite so cookie cutter.

Did you consider Summers Walk? It's technically in Davidson (off of hwy 73) so you get the award winning Davidson Elementary as your school assignment, something to think about.

There is a back way from these two areas up to hwy 3 which takes you right into Mooresville - traffic is very manageable.

I agree with you about Curtis Pond, too many properties are not being maintained in there and values have suffered.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:51 AM

972 posts, read 2,447,082 times
We also looked in Moss Creek. We bought elsewhere, but have many friends who live there and really like it. The schools are good to great depending on the teacher, of course. (Odell Elem., Harris Road MS, Cox Mill HS). The main reasons we did not buy in Moss Creek were:

1. Lack of natural areas left
2. High number of forclosures and short sales
3. Nothing for sale at the time that we really liked

But as I said, my friends who live in there really like it. If you don't have to be in a subdivision, there are many nice little residential streets with more land and often pools all throughout Cabarrus.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:18 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,851,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
We also looked in Moss Creek. We bought elsewhere, but have many friends who live there and really like it. The schools are good to great depending on the teacher, of course. (Odell Elem., Harris Road MS, Cox Mill HS). The main reasons we did not buy in Moss Creek were:

1. Lack of natural areas left
2. High number of forclosures and short sales
3. Nothing for sale at the time that we really liked

But as I said, my friends who live in there really like it. If you don't have to be in a subdivision, there are many nice little residential streets with more land and often pools all throughout Cabarrus.

Agreed

Old 06-18-2010, 05:32 AM

224 posts, read 458,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Have you checked out Cannon Crossing? It has the same school assignments as Moss Creek but is a smaller development and not quite so cookie cutter.

Did you consider Summers Walk? It's technically in Davidson (off of hwy 73) so you get the award winning Davidson Elementary as your school assignment, something to think about.

There is a back way from these two areas up to hwy 3 which takes you right into Mooresville - traffic is very manageable.

I agree with you about Curtis Pond, too many properties are not being maintained in there and values have suffered.
Agreed! Check out Cannon Crossing. Same schools, nice community.
Same back roads to Mooresville. Just a little further south.

Summers Walk is very nice and Davidson Elementary, Bailey Middle (fairly new school) and the brand new this year Hough High.

Your husband could also back road thru Davidson from Summers Walk and avoid the Hwy 73, Exit 25/I77 congestion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte