Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 03:23 PM

457 posts, read 1,177,647 times

Advertisements

My lawn is crunchy! We don't have a sprinkler, yet my neighbor does & their lawn looks the same green/yellow/brown as ours. I haven't asked if I could step on their lawn to see if theirs feels crunchy too. So I can't figure out if I should spend the money so that we can enjoy the lawn & not feel like we're getting stabbed when we walk, or if it's going to be not much improved. Our lawn is big & has full sun all day. Any thoughts? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 03:30 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,209,727 times
Plant warm weather grass like St. Augustine, and you don't have to worry about it.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:37 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,133,288 times
Maybe your neighbor doesn't water, even though they have a sprinkler. Definitely buy a sprinkler, and do your neighborhood a favor and water your lawn! If it dies you will have nothing but a weed patch.

St. Augustine needs lots of water and humidity, and dies in cold weather. It is not suitable for Charlotte weather.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:02 PM

870 posts, read 3,528,010 times
Go ahead and get a sprinkler for the future. Don't waste your money watering right now. Most lawns are browning right now, they are not dead, only dormant for lack of water. They will come back.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:28 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,133,288 times
It may be dormant, but fescue also dies quickly after going dormant if it's not given water, particularly if you overwatered in the spring and it developed shallow roots. My lawn is watered twice a week and it is still green. We cut it long and helped it develop deep roots in the spring.

If your lawn is crunchy and dead looking, it may be dead. I also wouldn't bother watering while it's still so hot, especially with rain on the way, but you need to buy a sprinkler and keep your lawn watered ahead of time. One or two deep waters a week is all that is needed when it's cooler to help the grass develop deeper roots. You will also need to aerate and reseed in the fall to help thicken the lawn back up again.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:21 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,209,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post

St. Augustine needs lots of water and humidity, and dies in cold weather. It is not suitable for Charlotte weather.
I disagree and the rainfall/humidity are more than fine for St. Augustine. Get the SC variety called Charleston. It does not die, does not need reseeding, but it does brown up in the coldest months. This however is as opposed to fescue/rebel which is browning up in the summer and dying all while putting lots of water on it. What the OP said. It either starves or you spend a fortune on water and chemicals and reseedings.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:49 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,377 times
"My lawn is crunchy"

That is funny as hell

Old 07-10-2010, 05:32 AM

604 posts, read 1,307,285 times
You could always paint your dead grass, your neighbors will think you have sprinklers.

Check out grass b green.

Lawn Paint - Paint your grass green.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:14 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Plant warm weather grass like St. Augustine, and you don't have to worry about it.
this. overseed with fescue or perennial rye in the fall. I put down bermuda sod in my backyard (lots of sun) and my grass is bright green. I haven't watered once.

plus, if you have a bermuda-grass yard you can buy a reel mower! Talk about awesome! No gasoline, no emissions, no dust blowing up from under the deck... bermuda lawns are the gift that keeps giving!

and if you want some bermuda, my B-I-L has a sod farm and is practically giving that stuff away... last time I heard he was installing it for around $0.35/ft2.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:24 AM

701 posts, read 1,428,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
this. overseed with fescue or perennial rye in the fall. I put down bermuda sod in my backyard (lots of sun) and my grass is bright green. I haven't watered once.

plus, if you have a bermuda-grass yard you can buy a reel mower! Talk about awesome! No gasoline, no emissions, no dust blowing up from under the deck... bermuda lawns are the gift that keeps giving!

and if you want some bermuda, my B-I-L has a sod farm and is practically giving that stuff away... last time I heard he was installing it for around $0.35/ft2.
Even Bermuda grass needs watering in my experience. I've been watering my front yard and it's nice and green. I've neglected watering the back yard and it's getting brownish and "crunchy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte