Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 07:00 PM

427 posts, read 550,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhiteQueen View Post
It seems like everyone I meet in CLT who is my age (early 30s) is a banker or at least the preppy yuppy type. Where do the edgy people (alternative, artsy, creative people who wear black and have a great sense of style) hang out? I have yet to find them!
Perhaps they are in Asheville? Just perhaps.

A nice description though, I think, of the late great Johnny Cash, the original man in black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 05:14 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
So, you have to wear black to be considered artsy, creative or edgy?

My buddy Tober wears black all the time, but I'm not sure how "artsy" he is....

Old 07-12-2010, 06:12 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,199,422 times
Edgy folks trend interior north and east... gets more button-up as you move south and away from the city core.

NoDa, Plaza-Midwood, and other urban neighborhoods between that are experiencing at least a little revitalization. Common Market on Commonwealth area.

Hang out at the P-Stone, Thomas St., Penguin, Snug Harbor, et. al. to see 'em in action. These folks aren't edgy like the edgy crowd in bigger cities... but it's what we have in Charlotte.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:27 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
My buddy Tober wears black all the time, but I'm not sure how "artsy" he is....
My outward appearance simply reflects my cold, dead heart inside

The cool folks just know where to hang out...we don't need to advertise it.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:34 AM

85 posts, read 238,148 times
Default Edgy

Dude, if youre looking for Edgy people. When I think edgy, I think Hill Billy which is a good thing. Or just Blue Collar in general. Believe you me. Youre not going to find sense of style. Are you a gay dude? Thats cool to. Later. Jimmy.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy M View Post
Dude, if youre looking for Edgy people. When I think edgy, I think Hill Billy which is a good thing. Or just Blue Collar in general. Believe you me. Youre not going to find sense of style. Are you a gay dude? Thats cool to. Later. Jimmy.

Uh..... what?

Old 07-12-2010, 08:01 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,137,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Edgy folks trend interior north and east... gets more button-up as you move south and away from the city core.

NoDa, Plaza-Midwood, and other urban neighborhoods between that are experiencing at least a little revitalization. Common Market on Commonwealth area.

Hang out at the P-Stone, Thomas St., Penguin, Snug Harbor, et. al. to see 'em in action. These folks aren't edgy like the edgy crowd in bigger cities... but it's what we have in Charlotte.
I somewhat agree with you, but I think the people the OP wants to hang out with aren't Charlotte's wanna be crowd. FWIW, whenever I've been to Noda, Plaza Midwood, and other "edgy" places mentioned, all I see is the Ed Hardy D-bag crowd that think it's cool to be in those places.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:01 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Uh..... what?
hahahahahahaha - you weren't the only one with that reaction

Old 07-12-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I somewhat agree with you, but I think the people the OP wants to hang out with aren't Charlotte's wanna be crowd. FWIW, whenever I've been to Noda, Plaza Midwood, and other "edgy" places mentioned, all I see is the Ed Hardy D-bag crowd that think it's cool to be in those places.
Why, oh why, did Don Ed Hardy allow his wonderful vintage/old school tattoo art to be bastardized so?

<hooligan has old school style tattoos, but not one single piece of Ed Hardy clothing>

Old 07-12-2010, 08:28 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,199,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
well I spend a considerable amount of time in those locales and I don't notice the same thing. When I hang in these areas I'm with artists and photographers and musicians and television show folks and dancers and furniture makers and mechanics and restaurant people and barkeepers and tattoo artists and slackers and hipsters and couriers and activists... this area of town has been my home for 10 years. I feel pretty dialed in on the vibe.

I see the ed hardy/affliction dbag knuckleheads uptown. And everyone else is wearing black button downs.

I don't care to bandy the merits of a 'wannabe' designation, but the areas I listed are certainly the "edgy" parts of town. I mean what else is even on the radar? maybe southend by the skate shop and art galleries and trolley museum... maybe West Morehead by the bike shop... maybe some areas of Dilworth... but NOT SouthPark!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: