Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 10:22 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,033,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cltguy View Post
Thanks - the banter does help get a feel for the area. I still like the homes on Providence road south of 485! While we are young, I will still have an uptown condo if we want to go out to panther games or just have fun. IMHO we won't really use it and I will rent it out.

$280,000 seems to be the magic amount I would like to spend on a house. A split between 250 and 300. The homes I would spend 250 on have been a little smaller, didn't have nicer kitchens, etc. That really isn't worth saving 20-30 grand in my thoughts. A decent yard is all we want - somewhere our dogs can play.

My GF saw a house in Hunter Oaks and didn't really like the neighborhood. I don't know why, all I know is to not question her. My father taught me that if you make a decision on a home that she doesn't like you will hear about for the rest of your life.

My feeling on the market is that it will take another negative drop in prices by September, and I don't feel too bad waiting for it. I feel a little bad for the people that bought in the 440+ range where we would spend 300 for the same house, but it's business. We have been driving through often, even going to see a house tonight. We are in no rush and I plan on doing my homework. Opinions can help us choose though, or at least let us know where to look!
ROFL - your Dad is a very wise man!

Based on your requirements, you should consider Hunter Oaks (if your wife can get over it heh), Somerset, Barrington, Lawson, Providence Glen, Providence Grove, The Reserve, Stonegate, Wesley Oaks, Cureton, Quellin, Easthampton, Providence Ridge, Demere... should be a good start. There's more believe it or not.

Be ruthless! Some of the developments I've listed aren't really selling under 300k YET - operative word is YET... I sprinkled them in there. I also wouldn't personally recommend them all... So I'm not necessarily endorsing these subdivisions - I'm just helping you get an idea of what is out there AROUND your price point. Looking at them for comparisons purposes will help you get perspective - even if they're currently out of your price range. You cannot over educate yourself on what's out there. Trust me.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:51 AM

10 posts, read 35,312 times
Default He knows his stuff

Thanks Mikey -

Lawson would work if (when) they start selling under 300K for a larger house.

We have ruled out Barrington + Demere for the build level.

Providence Glen is a nice neighborhood that is small, but looks like something is missing here. Haven't ruled it out yet.

Don't think we know anything about Providence Grove, Easthampton, Providence Ridge, or Wesley Oaks. We might have driven through there but I can't remember.

We are looking into The Reserve and Stonegate, and definitely Somerset.

I liked Cureton, and really liked Quellin, when we went through there, but the # of homes for sale and the proximity to the treatment facility kinda scares us.

What about the Weddington area? Think of anything that might fit our boat?

Old 07-14-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks Mikey -

Lawson would work if (when) they start selling under 300K for a larger house.
Keep in mind that layout is much more important then raw sqft... How the layout works into your personal lifestyle and taste is much more important. This is a very important distinction that the wife and I look for. A 3k sqft house might be much more functional then a 4k sqft house laid out all wrong. I have little doubt that you'll see some options in Lawson if you look religiously.

Quote:
We have ruled out Barrington + Demere for the build level.
I don't blame you... Barrington might be a decent option if you like the Shea product, but they are literally ON the school assignment line. They could be rezoned to Cuthbertson - which would be more of an inconvenience of switching schools and not a problem other then that.

Quote:
Providence Glen is a nice neighborhood that is small, but looks like something is missing here. Haven't ruled it out yet.
It's another Centex community... if you like The Reserve I'm pretty sure you can find the same models here. I believe they don't have a pool and that's what might be missing.

Quote:
Don't think we know anything about Providence Grove, Easthampton, Providence Ridge, or Wesley Oaks. We might have driven through there but I can't remember.

We are looking into The Reserve and Stonegate, and definitely Somerset.
Cruise em all... Somerset will probably be the best location and Stonegate will be the furthest out. All 3 are going to look older with much less finish if you're comparing them to new construction. Somerset will mostly be vinyl, The Reserve will be the brick front with 3 sides vinyl, and Stonegate is a mix. Be sure to factor in that these are built out communities, with pools. But don't forget that they're begin to age and go out of those new home warranties...

Quote:
I liked Cureton, and really liked Quellin, when we went through there, but the # of homes for sale and the proximity to the treatment facility kinda scares us.
You should check out what M/I homes did in the "exclusive" Cureton section next to Quellin... Mammoth McMansions on tiny plots that are going nowhere. Just something to see.

Quote:
What about the Weddington area? Think of anything that might fit our boat?
That's like a whole other thread... To be honest, Weddington is a much more mature and established area in general. At your price point you're going to be much more restricted in your options there. It's doable and the schools are good, but it's a whole other can of worms. One big concern I would have is that you'll end up finding the best values on the Eastern edge of Weddington where you run the risk of being rezoned into Sun Valley... For some people that wouldn't be an issue, but it's just something you should think about if you do end up looking there.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:32 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,370,004 times
If you think you can get anywhere near uptown from these areas in 20-25 minutes, you're crazy. Just because you don't "mind" a long commute isn't a reason to take one on. Big waste of gas. Communities like these are why we're addicted to foreign oil.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:20 AM

10 posts, read 35,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
If you think you can get anywhere near uptown from these areas in 20-25 minutes, you're crazy. Just because you don't "mind" a long commute isn't a reason to take one on. Big waste of gas. Communities like these are why we're addicted to foreign oil.
I in fact made it from my girlfriends work to Lawson in 35 minutes at 5pm in rain taking Providence road, if it wasn't for a broken down vehicle on Providence - we don't work uptown, just live there. From my work to Lawson at lunch time - I was able to get there, look at a house, sat down to eat lunch at Showmars off of providence and 485, and make it back in about 75 minutes.

MikeyKid: We looked at Somerset last night - Garmin made me drive through Providence Country club so I felt really insignificant till I got to Tom Short road, but that area is gorgeous. It was nice enough that I convinced my girlfriend to look at Hunter Oaks again! Anything else around there to pay attention to?

I get the layout can make size worthless, and the trade-off of the location of Tom Short to Rea Road vs the features of a Lawson House. We will just have to find the right layout for the smaller house. We viewed a 4400 sq. ft. home once and it was definitely a bad layout, a cheap house, and just too big - someone built a giant home with no features - just size - and it was priced at $64/sq.ft.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
MikeyKid: We looked at Somerset last night - Garmin made me drive through Providence Country club so I felt really insignificant till I got to Tom Short road, but that area is gorgeous. It was nice enough that I convinced my girlfriend to look at Hunter Oaks again! Anything else around there to pay attention to?

I get the layout can make size worthless, and the trade-off of the location of Tom Short to Rea Road vs the features of a Lawson House. We will just have to find the right layout for the smaller house. We viewed a 4400 sq. ft. home once and it was definitely a bad layout, a cheap house, and just too big - someone built a giant home with no features - just size - and it was priced at $64/sq.ft.
Try to sneak in to Longview - then bring her through Providence Downs and Providence Downs South, finally circle around through Kingsmead and then take her back into Hunter Oaks again. I'm not really "zomg the best ever!!ONE11!!" about Somerset or Hunter Oaks - but they offer the best possible bang for the buck location wise in Union County IMO. Reaview / Marvin Ridge schools with no possible way they can rezone unless they go crazy and change the county lines - easy access to Blakeney and Stonecrest which have awesome retail / restaurants / etc - Rea Rd construction already completed while Providence construction still going on and a busier road anyway. Yet, still reasonable access to Providence Rd areas like the Arboretum.

On the flip side, you WILL get more house for your money in Lawson for sure or anywhere out into Cuthbertson. The extra distance makes the difference. Also consider you'll find less of the Firethorn, Longview, Woodhall, Sedgefield, Kingsmead, Providence Downs South, Bridle Estates, etc $1m+ McMansion neighborhoods down in Cuthbertson... To some people it makes a difference about who their kids are going to school with. Take a drive through the other neighborhoods I listed. When you hit Stonegate, drive through Champion Forest which is right next door - that neighborhood used to be 500k+ only and now I see listings and closing in the high 300s... Probably still out of your price range, but just for perspective. Heck they may come down far enough for you. You'll see Cuthbertson Middle/High school right across the street.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:16 AM

168 posts, read 506,160 times
I would go with the Reserve, your in Marvin very close to everything at Blakeney, the neighborhood is completely built out, and you are in one of the best school districts out here. My second choice would be the chimneys for all the same reasons except this one is not built out but you get new and really nice ammenities.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZEP View Post
I would go with the Reserve, your in Marvin very close to everything at Blakeney, the neighborhood is completely built out, and you are in one of the best school districts out here. My second choice would be the chimneys for all the same reasons except this one is not built out but you get new and really nice ammenities.
Chimneys at 280k? Maybe The Reserve - especially across Crane Rd in the extended section... but, that's some significant drops especially for Chimneys. I thought I was down on Real Estate prices!

Old 07-15-2010, 07:39 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,215,667 times
Mikey, IMO, it's probable that real estate prices are going to drop an additional 50% before this mess is done. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less. The big risk locally, and an unknown, is exactly what will happen to BofA and Wells. Cut off the continuous flow of federal support and unfair laws that are to their benefit and they are in a lot of trouble. This will hit house prices pretty hard here.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Mikey, IMO, it's probable that real estate prices are going to drop an additional 50% before this mess is done. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less. The big risk locally, and an unknown, is exactly what will happen to BofA and Wells. Cut off the continuous flow of federal support and unfair laws that are to their benefit and they are in a lot of trouble. This will hit house prices pretty hard here.
Yeah, Charlotte hasn't done anything I've seen to shake the dependency on the banks for jobs to any significant degree... I fear that your 50% Armageddon scenario is quite possible if those banks pull out of here completely. Frankly, I don't see how there can be any stabilization until that is addressed - some how.

We've talked about it in other threads, but I don't think people realize how desperately the area sill depends on those banks for jobs and thus the trickle down to discussions like housing out in cow pastures. I don't quite buy into the full Armageddon scenario and see more of a continued bleeding over the next year. I don't know what the net/net will be vs. your 50% scenario, but I truly think anything is possible... In theory, we're one timely and bad announcement from BofA or Wells away from a huge exodus that would certainly devastate home values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte