Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 10:38 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,032,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
From the wife,
Mikey, I do agree with you on most of your points.
Some of the "smaller" homes in CF are selling for the the mid-high 3's and for people that need out before having to foreclose. Some you listed were owned by the relocation companies of the previous residents and IMO they took the best offer. The square footage differs in some homes in the community. So for everyone's sake in all communities hopefully people are taking that in to consideration. Right now there are 2 homes listed I believe in the high 4's-mid 5's. I am very doubtful they are going to sell for that price. They've been on the market for some time now and it just isn't going to happen. For that amount of money at this time I would be looking elsewhere for that price point.
Realize too, that some homes in PD are about 3,000-3500 sq. feet. I have a few friends that live in those "smaller homes"...as they call it. So those home values will be less than the mcmansions.
I do agree it will get worse before there is any type of improvement with the housing market.
Mikey you will have to let us know where you buy a home...this way we can post stastics about your community and bash it....sorry just my Jersey attitude coming out....I do enjoy reading your post. I like to educate myself on the area and whether the posts are positive or negative it keeps you on your toes.
Oh no - It just dawned on me... I digressed into my usual diatribe and didn't mean to insult you or your community! We looked at a rental in there when we first moved down and it is beautiful in there. I am trying to be fair, though... any decent realtor worth their salt can pull up all the details I posted here and more. So the raw data I think is fair and I will temper my typical editorial bashing. Please know it's not my intention to insult any homeowners. I try to just insult politicians, developers, builders, and maybe some RE professionals!

Unfortunately you'll have to wait until the Spring at the earliest to bash the neighborhood I ultimately choose - check that, the neighborhood my wife ultimately chooses.

I've watched this area closely since I first joined this site and moved to Mooresville initially to be near family... we ended up shifting back to the UC area as we didn't like the lake area for every day family living at all. At this point we're very happy with our rental choice and meeting people all the time from the neighborhoods you mention. I know what you mean about PD and PDS... we actually just recently were in a PDS home and I was stunned at how small the kitchen was with Corian countertops. So the finish obviously varies very widely. It's crazy to think people still consider 3,500 sqft is "small", but know exactly what you mean. lol

Old 07-16-2010, 10:55 AM

810 posts, read 2,293,241 times
From the wife,
Mikey....I'm tough. No worries..LOL.
Even when we were buying in 2007 it was very difficult to make a decision. There are so many options out there and you'll always second guess yourself. At times we wish we were relocated a few months after we moved here. You are doing right by renting first. When we moved here unfortunatley there weren't that many rentals in this part of UC. Plus we thought we needed to get in to get our oldest in the public school that we wanted and we didn't want to have him change schools again. But when you think you're doing the right thing you end up making changes anyway. Now he's no longer in public school and now we say...wow, if only...we should have waited it out and took our chances.
Although, we are very happy with our neighborhood and neighbors and have been very lucky here. We just hope we're not relocated in the next few years. I really don't feel like taking a bath on our home as to what we paid.
I'll wish you the best and I appreciate your insight on things. I will be interested to know where you end up buying when the time comes. I promise I'll give you my honest opinion about your neighborhood. No holding back...LOL

Old 07-16-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
From the wife,
Mikey....I'm tough. No worries..LOL.
Even when we were buying in 2007 it was very difficult to make a decision. There are so many options out there and you'll always second guess yourself. At times we wish we were relocated a few months after we moved here. You are doing right by renting first. When we moved here unfortunatley there weren't that many rentals in this part of UC. Plus we thought we needed to get in to get our oldest in the public school that we wanted and we didn't want to have him change schools again. But when you think you're doing the right thing you end up making changes anyway. Now he's no longer in public school and now we say...wow, if only...we should have waited it out and took our chances.
Although, we are very happy with our neighborhood and neighbors and have been very lucky here. We just hope we're not relocated in the next few years. I really don't feel like taking a bath on our home as to what we paid.
I'll wish you the best and I appreciate your insight on things. I will be interested to know where you end up buying when the time comes. I promise I'll give you my honest opinion about your neighborhood. No holding back...LOL
I used this site so much as a jumping board to other research, a sound / venting board, met many folks via DM, had my arse handed to me, and gotten so many helpful hints on all aspects of my home search - there's no way I won't continue my saga through until we finally purchase something and post about it here. I'll take the bashing like a man because in the end there's only so much "logic" I can bring to a decision that is so driven by the woman.

All the best to you, too. We could end up neighbors one day!

Old 07-16-2010, 04:50 PM

71 posts, read 239,340 times
Citiguy,
My wife and I live in Hunter Oaks and have for a year. We are both almost 30 and have a little one coming in November. We are definitely the younger ones in the neighborhood but our cul de sac ranges in ages from 28-45. Most of our neighbors have young kids 1.5-15 years old. We love our decision for buying where we did. We have friends that have less sq. ft. than us and pay more in taxes 1 mile north on Rea Rd. because they are in Meck. County.
Another positive is that in the last year we have seen several homes go up for sale and be sold relatively quickly. Not that you would want to turn around and sell but it is always good to live in a neighborhood where homes are able to be sold. Of course, there are those that for whatever reason can't be moved.
Last thing. You never truly know what the market will do. We can all speculate and hope for the best. A home is only worth what someone will pay for it but as long as you pay the note, you will forever have a home. My advice is don't sweat $10k. Find a home you can see raising a family and don't look back. Good Luck!

Old 07-17-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanrx View Post
Citiguy,
My wife and I live in Hunter Oaks and have for a year. We are both almost 30 and have a little one coming in November. We are definitely the younger ones in the neighborhood but our cul de sac ranges in ages from 28-45. Most of our neighbors have young kids 1.5-15 years old. We love our decision for buying where we did. We have friends that have less sq. ft. than us and pay more in taxes 1 mile north on Rea Rd. because they are in Meck. County.
Another positive is that in the last year we have seen several homes go up for sale and be sold relatively quickly. Not that you would want to turn around and sell but it is always good to live in a neighborhood where homes are able to be sold. Of course, there are those that for whatever reason can't be moved.
Last thing. You never truly know what the market will do. We can all speculate and hope for the best. A home is only worth what someone will pay for it but as long as you pay the note, you will forever have a home. My advice is don't sweat $10k. Find a home you can see raising a family and don't look back. Good Luck!
Best I can tell, 18 homes sold in Hunter Oaks this year so far with an average sales prices of $336k... There's 26 homes listed for sale there on MLS right now. If your advice about not sweating $10k is to the seller I completely agree - if that's your advice to a buyer, I take offense. $10k of $336k is about 3% which to me is a lot of money. On top of that, $10k financed is way more then $10k - it's only an actual $10k to the seller. Apologies as I don't want to offend, but dismissing $10k as something not to sweat as a buyer is really poor advice IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte