Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 06:38 AM

10 posts, read 35,297 times

Advertisements

Hello - my girlfriend and I are looking at homes in Union County. We currently live in downtown Charlotte, and while I love my little uptown condo, we will be both be 30 soon and 60-yr old parents want grandkids before they die! Since they are willing to help financially, and also between now and the end of the year seems to be as close to the bottom as prices are going to get we are house shopping. Maybe they will go up 5%, maybe down 15%, but from what I've gathered it's going to dip some more then be a hard slog back to appreciation.

Regardless we have looked at many places around Charlotte and the Waxhaw/Marvin area of Union County looks like where we want to be - schools, lower taxes, close enough to our works. We have not ruled out a Bonterra community in Indian Trail, but Lawson, The Reserve, Providence Grove, and Cureton are places we have looked and liked. We are now considering Hollister but haven't been to visit yet and don't know what amenities they have. We want a community center and pool already established, that's what we're used to downtown and love it. Woods are also a plus! And not being able to reach into your neighbors kitchen for some sugar is a must.

We especially like the Lawson community, but the commute is a little rough. I don't think prices have quite dipped there low enough yet and we are gambling on waiting a few more weeks/months to make an offer, and we aren't set on there yet.

I figured I'd ask about what people thought about age demographics. Thanks to the wonderful discrimination laws sales reps can't answer, and a agents don't know the neighborhood that well.

Where would a 30 year old couple best meet similarly aged couples, and not get confused as the neighbors kids back from college on spring break? Buying a house is stressful, exciting, nerve racking, time consuming, and exhausting. We know it's a long term investment, and we are doing our homework, and trying to find a place that will be HOME for at least a couple decades! Thanks!

Old 07-13-2010, 07:45 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Where do you work? Why are you choosing Waxhaw?

Old 07-13-2010, 08:18 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
Not sure I understand the whole rhetoric on "prices"… If you ask me, you're taking a risk to buy now and you'll do better to wait. But I digress. That is something you need to decide for yourself.

Help me to understand your budget and why you chose Union County a bit more… Because you're all over the map with your communities and price points. I'll give you some comments on the developments from my perspective and encourage you to visit - a lot.

Bonterra is Indian Trail and not in the Waxhaw/Marvin area. It's been the subject of many threads here related to significant drops in value, issues with the highway, and issues with the developer/builder. I'd like to hear how that made your list.

Hollister is Weddington and not in the Waxhaw/Marvin area. You'll know why I wouldn't recommend it the minute you pull into the community. There's next to nothing built out in there and no builder I am aware of is even trying to sell homes. I do believe the pool is done, though.

Lawson, Providence Grove, and Cureton are the Cuthbertson school cluster and furthest South… They're at a stage in development where they're nearly built out. But, resales and deep discounted new construction are competing with each other at this point. If you're smart and diligent you'll find some decent deals. P.S. Providence Grove is an oddball really since they don't have near the amenities of the other 2. I'm not even sure Providence Grove has a pool.

The Reserve is the Marvin Ridge school cluster and closer to the Meck border… The Resever is an established community of brick front homes built by Centex (acquired by Pulte) that is completely built out. The amentities are complete. It's the only community on your list not selling new construction.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:10 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Not sure I understand the whole rhetoric on "prices"… If you ask me, you're taking a risk to buy now and you'll do better to wait. But I digress. That is something you need to decide for yourself.

Help me to understand your budget and why you chose Union County a bit more… Because you're all over the map with your communities and price points. I'll give you some comments on the developments from my perspective and encourage you to visit - a lot.

Bonterra is Indian Trail and not in the Waxhaw/Marvin area. It's been the subject of many threads here related to significant drops in value, issues with the highway, and issues with the developer/builder. I'd like to hear how that made your list.

Hollister is Weddington and not in the Waxhaw/Marvin area. You'll know why I wouldn't recommend it the minute you pull into the community. There's next to nothing built out in there and no builder I am aware of is even trying to sell homes. I do believe the pool is done, though.

Lawson, Providence Grove, and Cureton are the Cuthbertson school cluster and furthest South… They're at a stage in development where they're nearly built out. But, resales and deep discounted new construction are competing with each other at this point. If you're smart and diligent you'll find some decent deals. P.S. Providence Grove is an oddball really since they don't have near the amenities of the other 2. I'm not even sure Providence Grove has a pool.

The Reserve is the Marvin Ridge school cluster and closer to the Meck border… The Resever is an established community of brick front homes built by Centex (acquired by Pulte) that is completely built out. The amentities are complete. It's the only community on your list not selling new construction.
Way to say it Mikey!

I too am confused as to why Waxhaw? Don't get me wrong, I like Waxhaw, and the Lawson community in particular. But if I worked uptown there is no way in hell I'd live that far out and have to deal with those traffic headaches.

I'd like to suggest they hire a great realtor like our friend here, southcharlotte&union, and look at places like Stone Creek Ranch, Ardrey, Providence Plantation - places closer in with great reputations

Old 07-13-2010, 09:12 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,768,330 times
Hollister is nice but hold tight on it right now. The HOA just ran out of money.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Way to say it Mikey!

I too am confused as to why Waxhaw? Don't get me wrong, I like Waxhaw, and the Lawson community in particular. But if I worked uptown there is no way in hell I'd live that far out and have to deal with those traffic headaches.

I'd like to suggest they hire a great realtor like our friend here, southcharlotte&union, and look at places like Stone Creek Ranch, Ardrey, Providence Plantation - places closer in with great reputations
Definitely loves - I would suggest that a young couple consider the Providence / Ardrey Kell HS areas for sure. If nothing else you get a better education in what is available out there.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:03 AM

10 posts, read 35,297 times
Thanks for the warnings on Hollister - I just saw a NICE house listed before I posted here (and it says Waxhaw, NC). It sounds like a Barrington with too many empty lots.

I am not opposed to other areas, we just haven't found a place that I have liked as much as the Marvin/Waxhaw area, I like the woods and open areas with the feeling of being close to civilization. We like the feel of Waxhaw, and the schools, Marvin and Cuthbertson have gotten good reviews from even high ranking CMS employees I know.

I work off 77 and 485, my girlfriend works south of downtown, so both of our commutes right now are about 10 minutes - however we are both from the DC area so a 45+ min commute isn't new. We have time trialed our commutes at 20-35 min's from Lawson - the furthest south we have looked.

We have been to a few Centex communities and don't like their field clearing and planting of homes, but we have not been to the Reserve yet. My co-worker lives in Bonterra, which is why we looked. The highway doesn't seem to come too close to the community and more importantly doesn't have funding.

We looked at the Ardrey area, I am just not too trustworthy that CMS will be able to keep the schools good for when we have kids in school. I do like the Ardrey area though, and it's a gamble for any school district predicting what they will be like in 15 years. My take is that Waxhaw feels like a Howard County Maryland school district with low enrollment, and a yuppie group of people that are very active with the schools and spend a lot of time with their kids school development.

Have not looked at Providence Plantation - but doesn't look like you get much house for the money. We want a 3-4 bedroom with an extra bonus room, 2.5+ bath, >3000-sq.ft for 250-300k. Inventory New construction has the most "bang" for your buck without considering foreclosures or short-sales. We are NOT in a rush to get a house - my condo is paid for and I still enjoy living uptown. We have time and money, and by the sound of it options!

MikeyKid - do you feel that prices will dramatically drop in the next few months? Or are you talking over the next year? We feel - agent, parents, wallstreetjournal, etc - that the housing market will slip at least another 5%, and at best (or worse for us) go up at most 5% by the end of the year.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:51 AM

554 posts, read 1,508,096 times
Bonterra is building in Waxhaw as well...they are buidling in Millbridge. I almost bought a home from them (and still might in the future!). I love Bonterra Builders and I love Millbridge. I am in the same boat as you are - we are in Ballantyne/Blakeney area and I love this area and yet I like developments and the areas in Waxhaw better. I don't think you can go wrong with Waxhaw, Marvin, Weddington, or Providence and Ballantyne areas. All have good schools, all are safe, and all are desirable areas. Good luck.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 10,049 times
Default Stonegate in Wesley Chapel

Hello. My wife and I moved to Waxhaw/Wesley Chapel/Weddington area 8 years ago from Huntersville. We were pregnant with our first child and moved for the land, the value, the school system, and the lower taxes. We live in Stonegate and just bought a house in Weddington Chase (about three miles down New Town Road). OStonegate is a Centex community with 263 homes and it complete. It is incorporated in Wesley Chapel, but like Marvin and some other townships, the post office is in Waxhaw. Unlike neighborhoods like Lawson though, which is actually in Waxhaw, we have extremely low city taxes (Wesley Chapel is the lowest in Union county). So by moving to Union county you save substantially over Mecklenberg taxes, and by moving to Wesley Chapel you save on city taxes. Wesley Chapel is .0165 per 100.00 while Waxhaw is .3400 per 100.00 (that is over 20 times the rate!).
Moderator cut: tos violation
I work by the airport and my wife works uptown so we are familiar with long commutes. I find the lifestyle in the Waxhaw area so rewarding that I would consider a commute twice as long. I do business in almost every community in Union county so I have some insight as to their current status (Hollister is a shame as it seems to be completely shutdown. They haven't made progress in there in years). I hope that this helps

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-14-2010 at 07:18 AM..

Old 07-13-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cltguy View Post
Thanks for the warnings on Hollister - I just saw a NICE house listed before I posted here (and it says Waxhaw, NC). It sounds like a Barrington with too many empty lots.

I am not opposed to other areas, we just haven't found a place that I have liked as much as the Marvin/Waxhaw area, I like the woods and open areas with the feeling of being close to civilization. We like the feel of Waxhaw, and the schools, Marvin and Cuthbertson have gotten good reviews from even high ranking CMS employees I know.

I work off 77 and 485, my girlfriend works south of downtown, so both of our commutes right now are about 10 minutes - however we are both from the DC area so a 45+ min commute isn't new. We have time trialed our commutes at 20-35 min's from Lawson - the furthest south we have looked.

We have been to a few Centex communities and don't like their field clearing and planting of homes, but we have not been to the Reserve yet. My co-worker lives in Bonterra, which is why we looked. The highway doesn't seem to come too close to the community and more importantly doesn't have funding.

We looked at the Ardrey area, I am just not too trustworthy that CMS will be able to keep the schools good for when we have kids in school. I do like the Ardrey area though, and it's a gamble for any school district predicting what they will be like in 15 years. My take is that Waxhaw feels like a Howard County Maryland school district with low enrollment, and a yuppie group of people that are very active with the schools and spend a lot of time with their kids school development.

Have not looked at Providence Plantation - but doesn't look like you get much house for the money. We want a 3-4 bedroom with an extra bonus room, 2.5+ bath, >3000-sq.ft for 250-300k. Inventory New construction has the most "bang" for your buck without considering foreclosures or short-sales. We are NOT in a rush to get a house - my condo is paid for and I still enjoy living uptown. We have time and money, and by the sound of it options!

MikeyKid - do you feel that prices will dramatically drop in the next few months? Or are you talking over the next year? We feel - agent, parents, wallstreetjournal, etc - that the housing market will slip at least another 5%, and at best (or worse for us) go up at most 5% by the end of the year.
Being as close as you are, you should be driving these developments non-stop! Take everything you read here with a grain of salt as we all of our own little idiosyncrasies - one person's dream house could be someone else's nightmare. You can protect yourself by getting to the know the area intimately.

Specific to your question I'm very bearish on RE right since I joined this site... I think most of the regulars will attest to that. I continue to be extremely bearish and, in fact, think we're on the edge of a double dip. My opinion is that we're going to see another significant dip into next year... I can load you down with links to plenty of references - you can find many of them here and in the RE forum if you search. Things are bad - real bad... and if you're going to look out here in the country where demand will dry up the fastest, you should expect to have to sit on a purchase a real long time. You should also accept the risk that if you buy in an unfinished neighborhood, it may never get built out... look at Hollister... look at Millbridge. You should also accept depreciation/deflation is a very real risk even in an established/mature neighborhood. Look at Demere... look at Wesley Oaks... look at Stonegate... look at Champion Forest. Research what these subdivisions were selling at just a few years ago. Also remember that these are tract built homes... For instance, I'm not a huge fan of the Centex product, either. Even custom homes are taking a beating - look what's happened in Providence Downs or Anklin Forrest over the past several years.

In the end - the further out you go, the bigger the risk. Take all with that grain of salt I mentioned. Remember as you said yourself - "you don't get much house for the money" up there for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte