Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 04:15 PM

644 posts, read 1,431,474 times

Advertisements

I have been tryin to enjoy all that Charlotte has to offer, but I have a hard time findin diverse/ethnic restaurants. Any Jamaican spots for beef patties and jerk chicken? Any Brazilian restaurants? What area of Charlotte are all of the authentic eateries in?

Side note* What are some close suburbs of Charlotte? Rock Hill, Huntersville, Mooresville etc are all 30 mins away? Are those suburbs? Any suburb within a 10 min drive of Uptown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 04:25 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,370,004 times
I think Central Avenue has the most diversity, certainly in terms of restaurants. South Blvd. too but it's mostly Hispanic. On Central you'll find several Central and South American restaurants, many different kinds of Asian (mostly Vietnamese but incredibly good Chinese as well) and I believe there is a Jamaican one over there too although I don't know the name. Try Yelp.

I guess those would be considered suburbs but none of within a ten minute drive. There are no suburbs within a ten minute drive because Charlotte is pretty spread out. There are neighborhoods that are ten minutes from uptown. Elizabeth, Chantilly, Dilworth ($$), Myers Park ($$$), Southend, etc.

A word of warning. For reasons I will never understand, a lot of otherwise well-intentioned people on this site will tell you that everything is "20 minutes away" or you can be "uptown in 10 minutes" from areas in the region that are not even close to that distance. I'll keep an eye on this thread to keep folks honest.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:35 PM

644 posts, read 1,431,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
A word of warning. For reasons I will never understand, a lot of otherwise well-intentioned people on this site will tell you that everything is "20 minutes away" or you can be "uptown in 10 minutes" from areas in the region that are not even close to that distance. I'll keep an eye on this thread to keep folks honest.
LOL thanks...I have noticed that too. I was in Huntersville and I asked for directions to Uptown and I was told just head that way for 10 mins......32 mins later I was there....lol

I will definitely try Central......I've been up and down South Blvd.and yes that's mostly Hispanic

Old 07-14-2010, 04:35 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
I have been tryin to enjoy all that Charlotte has to offer, but I have a hard time findin diverse/ethnic restaurants. Any Jamaican spots for beef patties and jerk chicken? Any Brazilian restaurants? What area of Charlotte are all of the authentic eateries in?

Side note* What are some close suburbs of Charlotte? Rock Hill, Huntersville, Mooresville etc are all 30 mins away? Are those suburbs? Any suburb within a 10 min drive of Uptown?
The closest suburb to Uptown is Belmont. Be your own judge on the driving time.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:51 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post

Check out Austin's on South Kings for jerk chicken Austin's Caribbean Cuisine, Charlotte, NC : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local

And Braza's on Independence near Sharon Amity for Brazilian

Brazas Bar and Grill - Charlotte, NC

You can find ethnic food in various places all over the city, but east Charlotte seems to have the biggest clusters.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:51 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,370,004 times
Anntony's Caribbean on 7th was what I was thinking of. Haven't been in years but it's been in Charlotte forever and has a very loyal following. I like the neighborhood that it's in. Lots of great stuff around that part of town (Elizabeth). I've always thought that if I didn't have schools to be concerned with, I'd love to live over there. Lots of great older homes, shops, restaurants and bars. All within walking distance and right on the edge of uptown.

Forgot you also wanted Brazilian. Brazas on Indepence has out of this world Brazilian food. Better go hungry. Not really in a residential neighborhood but great food. Then there's Chima uptown. Personally I don't think the food is as good as Brazas, but it's still awesome. But a much nicer looking restaurant. the bar area alone is to die for.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:26 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
There was a Jamaican/Carribean place in the shopping center at N Tryon and Harris, but I can't remember the name. There was a Vietnamese place in the same shopping center, too. I think it's called P'ho Real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte