Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 09:52 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,366,938 times

Advertisements

Maybe the new owner will clean it occasionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 10:01 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nckeith View Post
....You can be foreclosed on because they simply want out, not because you are not paying. ...
This makes no sense. Foreclosure means they become the owners of the property and now have to be involved with running it until they can find another buyer for it. It's not getting out, it's diving into it head first with an anchor tied to their waist.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:08 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Right, it sounds to me like this was financed with some sort of balloon payment - which is now due, and the current owner is having a tough time finding alternate financing.

Perhaps I'm wrong...

Old 07-16-2010, 10:16 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Right, it sounds to me like this was financed with some sort of balloon payment - which is now due, and the current owner is having a tough time finding alternate financing.

Perhaps I'm wrong...
Maybe. But is actually more likely his loan has what are called financial covenants. Financial hurdles he has to prove every quarter. For example, Ghazi probably has to show the bank that he has X amount of cash on hand, and that his business meets certain financial ratios at certain periods in time. My guess is he’s in violation of many of those and the bank is excising their right to call the loan. Or, he could just be behind on his payments, LOL!! As I said, he’s a terrible businessman who was out of his league when he entered into this project. There are other companies out there who have more experience with this type of project would could come in a do a better job.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:32 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post

Perhaps I'm wrong...
You were right. It did have a balloon, and he can't get it refinanced.

Link: http://media.charlotteobserver.com/s...EpiCentrei.pdf

Old 07-16-2010, 10:40 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,370 times
We are in a huge recession(depression really) right now. These types of things should not be unexpected. If anyone wants to point fingers, then point them at the Federal Reserve and their easy interest rates that encouraged the runaway lending and spending that led to this bust we have right now. Expect more foreclosures to occur. Now that the stimulus has run out, the commercial retail market will continue on the collapse that it was heading towards a few years ago.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:49 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
You were right. It did have a balloon, and he can't get it refinanced.

Link: http://media.charlotteobserver.com/s...EpiCentrei.pdf

Honestly, it was just a guess, but "reading between the lines" of what he stated in that article, that's what I came away with.

I'm no commercial loan guru, so I have no idea what is normal or expected as far as loan covenants go.

Odds are that he'll find someone else to give him a loan.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:54 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Well, regardless of the financing issues (which are terrible for businesses all over this country) I hope that the property thrives, b/c the last thing we need is zombie property on that site.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:03 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,366,938 times
If you look at the cover of the Observer online, you can see what I mean about how dirty it is. Just concrete and signage. The ground is always covered in litter and there is absolutely no potted plants or anything to make it look inviting to anything but a drunken college kid in the dark. This place needs to attract a wider audience or it's doomed.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:05 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
From the article
Quote:
“This will not affect the operations or the project in any way,” Ghazi says. “It is simply a lender and borrower issue. We are confident once all is said and done that the project loan will get restructured and reorganized with our lenders or a third-party lender.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte