Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 09:05 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times

Advertisements

Regions Bank has launched foreclosure proceedings against Afshin Ghazi's EpiCentre entertainment and retail complex in uptown Charlotte. ...

EpiCentre faces foreclosure filing - Charlotte Business Journal

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 07:17 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,370,004 times
Honestly I'm surprised it took this long.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:38 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,769,808 times
Yeah Really. I think everyone will be happy when some different owns Epicentre.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:39 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,215,667 times
So I am wondering where all the people are who claimed and decided that spending $300M in taxes to build an arena for billionaire NBA owners, $500M in taxes to build a light rail line, and $220M in taxes to build a shrine for Nascar, would result in huge economic development are today? Over a billion dollars in taxes for economic development in less than 6 years and we have businesses closing, 1/2 built decaying buildings, and now bankruptcies of high profile retail spaces. (and Ghazi got it own tax subsidies from the city)

Where are they? They took credit for the spending, why not take credit for the failure of all their claims. Maybe they are hiding under a rock at the moment. Oh I forgot, they are going to build a streetcar now because it will bring economic development. It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:06 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
So I am wondering where all the people are who claimed and decided that spending $300M in taxes to build an arena for billionaire NBA owners, $500M in taxes to build a light rail line, and $220M in taxes to build a shrine for Nascar, would result in huge economic development are today? Over a billion dollars in taxes for economic development in less than 6 years and we have businesses closing, 1/2 built decaying buildings, and now bankruptcies of high profile retail spaces. (and Ghazi got it own tax subsidies from the city)

Where are they? They took credit for the spending, why not take credit for the failure of all their claims. Maybe they are hiding under a rock at the moment. Oh I forgot, they are going to build a streetcar now because it will bring economic development. It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic.
I guess they are the same people grinning cause Charlotte was named #4 amongst most improved places to do business.

N.C. ranks fourth in CNBC survey - Charlotte Business Journal

Or the folks pushing hard for the DNC convention to be held here:

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/cha...9/story1.html?

It could be those two groups are one and the same. They all seem to have the same stars in their eyes, lol.

Maybe they are visionaries.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:06 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,018,634 times
Hey, maybe we could make the Epicenter into the "Olympic Village" that theyre now talking about for the Democratic National Convention.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:10 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
Hey, maybe we could make the Epicenter into the "Olympic Village" that theyre now talking about for the Democratic National Convention.
Now, there ya go!

Old 07-16-2010, 08:31 AM

777 posts, read 2,569,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post

Have you ever been to the Epicenter? It IS a huge economic development (outside of an office tower...probably the biggest ever in uptown Charlotte).

Having the owner go bankrupt has nothing to do with the economic impact of this development. He built during the boom and had to lease in the downfall. Sure there is a partial condo building built, but there is also now the biggest entertainment destination in the city.

And just an FYI, the tax money for the Nascar Hall of Fame is coming from a hotel tax, not from your sales tax or property tax. Visitors and out of town bankers are paying for the Nascar Hall of Fame.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:35 AM

777 posts, read 2,569,016 times
And does anyone remember what Southend looked like before the lightrail/trolly was planned (I am not talking about being built, but from when it was planned)? How many billions of dollars have been spent developing Southend because of the prospects of the light rail/trolley? Southend looks nothing like it did 12 years ago when I moved here.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:56 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,370,004 times
Billions? I don't think it looks all that different from when I moved here 15 years ago. Just emptier. In fact 15 years ago Southend Brewery was THE entertainment destination of its time. What's in there now? Anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte