Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 03:51 PM

5 posts, read 25,534 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the responses everyone. I moved to Charlotte from Brooklyn, NY and I lean towards the attack the gonads course of action. But I'm trying be more civilized & gentile since moving to these parts. Our HOA was formed after 1999 so the NC Planned Community Act definitely applies. Its crazy though that I have to go to that source when the CCRs and Bylaws are quite clear about providing this information to owners.

I've been talking to some homeowners and I'm learning this man has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way and has less allies than I thought. I'm looking for an attorney now but I'm also mobilizing forces because I think that might be my best (and cheapest) bet. Its just shocking to me that this person would so blatantly disregard basic rules. The audacity astounds and I simply can't stand for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 05:55 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medinamami View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone. I moved to Charlotte from Brooklyn, NY and I lean towards the attack the gonads course of action. But I'm trying be more civilized & gentile since moving to these parts. Our HOA was formed after 1999 so the NC Planned Community Act definitely applies. Its crazy though that I have to go to that source when the CCRs and Bylaws are quite clear about providing this information to owners.

I've been talking to some homeowners and I'm learning this man has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way and has less allies than I thought. I'm looking for an attorney now but I'm also mobilizing forces because I think that might be my best (and cheapest) bet. Its just shocking to me that this person would so blatantly disregard basic rules. The audacity astounds and I simply can't stand for it.
I can appreciate that you said you are trying to be more civil and genteel since moving South, but here's the scoop from a native: when it comes to protecting your personal or property rights, Southerners have a "don't tread on me attitude" . . . do whatever it takes to protect yourself - especially putting everything in writing (folks lie about phone calls).

When HOAs get out of control (maybe I should say - the BOD) it can be a very difficult situation to get rectified and all it takes is one person on the BOD to cause harm to homeowners, especially if he/she intimidates the other BOD members.

I have found that people on a power trip often assume that everyone else is stupid and so they underestimate the tenacity of those around them - especially those they are bullying. That means you must be tenacious and untiring in your efforts to get things under control.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:29 PM

5 posts, read 14,858 times
I am not sure, if 'townhouse community' have a special meaning under NC laws?
In Florida, for instance, there are only two forms of Associatios governed by state laws:
1. Homeowners Associations (includes simple-fee townhouse owners)
2. Condominium Associations
To remove of any director is quite simple in both instances. No attorney is required.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:53 PM

5 posts, read 14,858 times
sorry I mean to say 'fee-simple' NOT simple-fee.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:42 PM

308 posts, read 617,430 times
I won't pick sides. If I did, I would probably lean towards the hoa. All new occupants should be aware of the bylaws of their new residence. THe HOA is a process that elects its board members for a certain period of time. It is required that the HOA furnish minutes of each meeting and that all transactions are the result of a democratic process. One can avoid problems by abiding to the bylaws, attending meetings, voting out anyone that doesn't have the interest of the community as the number one priority, and/or seek a position on the board. HOAs are serious business and have legal guidelines for which they must abide. Most problems can easily be resolved. I don't know your situation, but if you are genuinely being harrassed or mistreated in defiance of rules, regulations, etc. Seek legal advice. Mom of 3 has accurate regulations published. It is hard to make unbiased judgements without listening to both sides of a situation. Suggesting an attack on anyone is pretty 'rednecky' for around these parts.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:02 PM

6 posts, read 12,260 times
lol to the sucker punch

Last edited by jbbossert1; 07-19-2010 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: didn't address the lol

Old 07-19-2010, 08:25 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Beat me to it. I was going to suggest just walking up to him and kicking him in the nards.

You bet....
Amazing how things change to your advantage when you get aggressive
and not take any BS. Going the legal ave. usually results to nothing in the end, but a waste of your money and time!

Old 07-19-2010, 11:39 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,005 times
Speaking as a President of an HOA sometimes it seems as if there are a few homeowners who all they want to do is to criticize as opposed to getting involved and participating in events and trying to help the community.

Understand that your BOD and President do not get paid for what they do, and most people have the opinion or act like they work for them.

I have experienced this for a few years now, and try to look the other way most times, but some people really push their luck.

I'm not sure what your particular beef is with the board, but instead of going the legal route which will probably just drain money...is there a Management company that you can speak with? Perhaps you can attend the next meeting and voice your concerns. There has to be some sort of process when you can elect and vote for Board members.....make sure you go and run for office yourself.

You have to get active if you want to make changes.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:15 AM

16 posts, read 59,239 times
Sounds like a nightmare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
Speaking as a President of an HOA sometimes it seems as if there are a few homeowners who all they want to do is to criticize as opposed to getting involved and participating in events and trying to help the community.

Understand that your BOD and President do not get paid for what they do, and most people have the opinion or act like they work for them.

I have experienced this for a few years now, and try to look the other way most times, but some people really push their luck.

I'm not sure what your particular beef is with the board, but instead of going the legal route which will probably just drain money...is there a Management company that you can speak with? Perhaps you can attend the next meeting and voice your concerns. There has to be some sort of process when you can elect and vote for Board members.....make sure you go and run for office yourself.

You have to get active if you want to make changes.
While I totally agree with you, this isn't really addressing the OP's issue. They want the minutes from the meetings and access to financial records, etc. If you are a HoA paying member of a community and the community's bylaws state you have the right to access said materials and they are not being furnished, then there is a problem.

You have a right to know whats going on at these meetings and where your HoA dues are going, period.

Hope you get this hammered out (without hammering someone in the balls).

Old 07-20-2010, 09:00 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,005 times
The whole "meeting minutes" always confused me. I always try to have an agenda for our meetings, but do I or someone else always take good notes during the meetings? Probably not.

What I'm saying is, instead of asking for the minutes maybe you should just ask to attend the meeting and get your issue out in the open.

Rather than making it an US VS THEM, maybe another approach would be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte