Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 04:33 AM

604 posts, read 1,308,017 times

Advertisements

My HOA has a web site and posts all meeting minutes online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 06:25 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,558,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
Speaking as a President of an HOA sometimes it seems as if there are a few homeowners who all they want to do is to criticize as opposed to getting involved and participating in events and trying to help the community.

Understand that your BOD and President do not get paid for what they do, and most people have the opinion or act like they work for them.

I have experienced this for a few years now, and try to look the other way most times, but some people really push their luck.

I'm not sure what your particular beef is with the board, but instead of going the legal route which will probably just drain money...is there a Management company that you can speak with? Perhaps you can attend the next meeting and voice your concerns. There has to be some sort of process when you can elect and vote for Board members.....make sure you go and run for office yourself.

You have to get active if you want to make changes.
Jake, you are probably the exception to the rule as President of your HOA and I commend you for that.

I have watched as being an active participater and also from the sidelines. The HOA we are in now has over a three million dollar budget. The board believes that it is their HOA/Community and do not welcome outsiders even volunteering. I have seen this too many times. It seems like they want certain people controlling things even if it is something simple like a recreation committee.

Board members do not get paid for what they do - they volunteer but they also have their hand in what is going on, changes in all. Yes, you can run, but usually the changes on the Board are very slow evolving which means you can only replace one person every so many years to the Board.

I personally believe that transparency and accountability are hard to find in many HOA's.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:22 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,988,864 times
I don't know your area - sounds like there's some good advice posted. (omit the punching!)
Another low cost option it to contact the local media. Yes, bad PR at it's finest. Sometimes it's the only way to get the light of day to shine through. First, get some homeowners together - call them personally and meet at your place. Discuss the issues and get some grass roots behind you. A board will think twice when they know there is more than one homeowner on their case.
Best wishes.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:09 AM

972 posts, read 2,444,773 times
This reminds me of a discussion our neighbors just had with our developer (who is also a neighbor). Right now the developer is still in control of the HOA and will remain so for a few more years.

He is begging people to join committees, get involved now and to start learning how things work. He commented that if we don't get involved, that we might not like things when he exits and only a certain type of person is willing to step up. He has seen it happen in the past with other developments where the only homeowners who do volunteer are too strict and controlling, creating bad feelings to say the least.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:05 AM

385 posts, read 890,867 times
[quote=Medinamami;15077327]Hi,
How can you fight a HOA Board that is blatantly ignoring the governing documents and sending Cease & Desist letters to any home owner that dares complain. I believe the Board President is a pyschopath, literally, who is on a momumental ego trip. He has stated that owners have no recourse because the legal system will take too long. And that he can do what he wants.
quote]

Makes me glad I live in a city neighborhood w/o an HOA. I'd rather have to call the city every once and awhile re knee high grass or a car parked in a yard vs. dealing with hoa board that was elected b/c nobody else wanted to do it and now wants to get back at anyone who's dog ever crapped in their yard.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:00 AM

5 posts, read 25,538 times
I've taken alot of the advice to heart and I'm gathering up some support. Its sad because so many of the neighbors have been apathetic and likely will be until they have a complaint. I keep stressing the point that if you make the Board act ethically & transparently now, then we should have less concerns about mismanagement & missing funds later.

Jake, I've actively participated in my community and with the HOA since purchasing my home. I have always considered it my responsibility since I agreed to join an association. I've never been late in my dues payments because thats a committment I agreed to make. It comes automatically from my account and I would do without before failing my neighbors and not paying my end for utilities and services I use daily. I expect the same respect in return and imo its very unethical, disrespectful and illegal for this Board to refuse to provide an accounting of their actions when they are spending my (and the community's) money.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:02 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
Have you tried getting the info you're after from the management company that collects your monthly dues?

Old 08-29-2010, 11:37 PM

11 posts, read 44,290 times
OK. When I read the original message, it sounded just like what I wanted to post. I live in Durham, NC and am experiencing the EXACT same situation (psycopath included). I actually requested the records twice, in writing and very professionally. After the second request, this BOD actually summoned me to a previously scheduled (illegal) administrative hearing and ultimately suspended my membership rights under no grounds (they didn't even state a violation of a specific covenant, bylaw, state law... anything). Had the gall to say they now have no obligation to provide the records I requested. All I requested were specific meeting minutes, financial records, rules and regulations, and the landscaping contract.

I'll be writing an appeal letter for the suspension but my neighbors and I are really at a loss of what to do about this situation. They suspended my rights for one year and right to run for BOD for 2 years, but one of my neighbors summoned to the same hearing had rights suspended for 7 years! Is that even legal? They charged other neighbors fines of ~$900 and suspended them for several years.

Our management company, (a young, one or two man shop), is no help for homeowners. They send all correspondence to pyscho who then condescendingly replies with no answers.

There's so much going on, I don't know what to do but attempt to get out of here ASAP.

I'm sorry if I jacked this thread. Was there any resolution Medinamami? Please share some good news.

And, question to some previous respondents, how does a request for meeting minutes demonstrate hostility?

Old 09-02-2010, 11:31 AM

4 posts, read 7,192 times
Cool Frustrated Homeowners

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMichelle View Post
I don't know your area - sounds like there's some good advice posted. (omit the punching!)
Another low cost option it to contact the local media. Yes, bad PR at it's finest. Sometimes it's the only way to get the light of day to shine through. First, get some homeowners together - call them personally and meet at your place. Discuss the issues and get some grass roots behind you. A board will think twice when they know there is more than one homeowner on their case.
Best wishes.
That's how we all got where we are now...they caught wind of our frustration and slammed us. We have contacted the media, only to be told that we all ought to grow up and that it sounded like just neighbors disputing! Also, the management company quit; 2nd one in 9 months.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:35 AM

4 posts, read 7,192 times
Default Sometimes that doesn't matter.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
This reminds me of a discussion our neighbors just had with our developer (who is also a neighbor). Right now the developer is still in control of the HOA and will remain so for a few more years.

He is begging people to join committees, get involved now and to start learning how things work. He commented that if we don't get involved, that we might not like things when he exits and only a certain type of person is willing to step up. He has seen it happen in the past with other developments where the only homeowners who do volunteer are too strict and controlling, creating bad feelings to say the least.
We have found that this person that has currently appointed himself to the Board tormented the builder, the management company that we first used, the 1st Board, the 2nd Board, and has gone through 2 mgmt companies that just can't deal with him. He is like the Pied Piper with indifferent followers. He could never get elected, so he got himself appointed by a couple of followers, who do nothing but spew hate when he tells them to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte