Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2010, 10:43 AM

22 posts, read 68,383 times

Advertisements

Hi All, After years of travelling from one city to another and renting, finally deciding to stay in charlotte. It will be my first home, so a little nervous in my decision.
I like all the 3 bcos of golf courses, amenities, and the resale value, but just cant decide which one to choose... Please help and provide your inputs on these subdivisions like:
1. Crime/safety.. can I leave my garage door open for an hour without worrying?
2. Get-togethers, block party, cook-out etc.? I have lived in an apt near Birkdale for a year and still dont know my neighbors..is this the case in all of charlotte?
3. Walk/bike trails closer to home? I would like to bike/walk to groceries, library, or book store.
4. Tennis courts, golf courses, swimming pools, gym: Is it usually crowded, and properly maintained? I hate all the college kids drinking and cussing in my apt pool.

I want to stay below $350k although I can stretch it a little bit more if it is going to get me the best of what I need. I travel for work, so will be flying in and out every week. No kids yet, so schools are not a big deal for now, but I know it matters for resale..Thanks in advance for all your insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 11:35 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,215,667 times
Of the three, I prefer Birkdale by far.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:50 AM

246 posts, read 583,786 times
All 3 are very nice and will meet your requirements. I personally find the traffic around Birkdale maddening, but Northstone and Skybrook are quickly approaching that level.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the replies. Anyone living in one community wishing they lived in one of the other, and why? I am leaning more towards Birkdale just because I have lived closer to the area and know the neighborhood. Houses in Northstone, and Skybrook gets more are for the money, although I dont need the extra space. But, I like the Skybrook's amenities more...

Old 07-19-2010, 02:17 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,337,821 times
We looked at a lot of homes in Northstone (did not consider Skybrook) before deciding to live in Birkdale and we have been very happy with our decision from day 1. It all depends on what is important to you. The country club at Northstone looked very nice, but if you want to do anything else you have to get in your car and drive. We love riding our bikes up to Birkdale village, and going to restaurants, Starbucks, concerts, movies, Barnes and Noble book store, etc.. If you wanted to, you could ride a bicycle through some parking lots and reach Lowes foods for groceries. The library is nearby, but not a safe bike ride due to Sam Fur road and crossing I-77.

We routinely leave our doors unlocked when we go for walks in the neighborhood (please don't tell anyone). Also the garage. If I see a neighbor's garage door open after 9 or 10pm I will knock on their door and tell them it is open.

They do a pretty good job with the rec facilities. Pool and tennis courts, (but no workout/gym) available to residents paying hoa dues. You don't have to join a country club.

We know all of our neighbors. Some folks keep to themselves, others want to be friends and do stuff. Want to meet people? Get a dog and walk it often. Just pick up the poop! (Having kids probably works too)

If choosing a house in Birkdale you will want to be careful about 2 things, 1. Make sure you know where the big power lines are. We did not want to own a home too close to these wires that run through Birkdale. 2. Check what is in your backyard. There are some homes on Devonshire that have apartments directly behind them, way too close for my taste. Also, we did not want to be too close to the noise of I-77. There is a price for convenience. You are close to everything, including the highway and the power lines.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:36 AM

Thanks a lot for the insight about Birkdale. I never realised about the Power lines until after your message and drove down last night to check it out, thats some serious power lines running over some house backyards; looked scary. Got to add it now to the agent's no-no list.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:38 AM

249 posts, read 458,600 times
i would choose Northstone if i had the choice.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:40 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrown28031 View Post
i would choose Northstone if i had the choice.
Northstone is my favorite of the three also - just based on looks of the neighborhood and the homes there.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:07 AM

249 posts, read 458,600 times
Northstone sits 5 minutes out of town. NS has a private club that has a couple of swimming pools, golf, very nice bar and restaurant, tennis courts among other things. If you move into NS i highly recommend joining the club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte