Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 09:52 PM

245 posts, read 585,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
Am I the only person that is concerned about this invasive vine or is this a concern for others too? Every time I drive by an area where there is Zudzo I get so aggravated and wonder why nothing is being done to control it. I was just wondering if I was the only one.
I actually saw a program on kudzu 30 years ago,OP.
It was a problem then....it appears to be a problem now.
What global warming really kicks in...
THEN you'll really see some kudzu!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 09:57 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,782,531 times
I would like to thank everyone for joining in on this thread, even if we don't agree . I am very passionate about this because I am trying to look at the big picture here, our childrens great, great, great grandchildren . Like with everything else, oil, pollution, it's all so important we need to think about the distant future.I hope I didn't offend anyone, that was not my intention.
OK I am getting off my soap box and going to bed. Good night!

Old 07-20-2010, 10:01 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
I would like to thank everyone for joining in on this thread, even if we don't agree . I am very passionate about this because I am trying to look at the big picture here, our childrens great, great, great grandchildren . Like with everything else, oil, pollution, it's all so important we need to think about the distant future.I hope I didn't offend anyone, that was not my intention.
G'night, Miss SSD!!! It was a good discussion and I hope offered some solutions for folks dealing with kudzu.

Also, I hope folks will try some uses for kudzu! I am now gonna find out more about NASCAR and the possibility of using kudzu for fuel. I am excited to know I am not the only person who has wondered about a constructive use for kudzu!

Old 07-20-2010, 10:10 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Kudzu is like cockroaches . . . they both adapt to their environment. Who is it that said one day man would be gone from the planet but the cockroach would still exist.

Well, add kudzu to that.

Goats are the most efficient method to control the growth (in my experience). Other than that - real eradication - is nearly impossible and as SB has outlined . . . it takes lots of chemicals and repeated us of them over many years. That is why I would like to find a real use for the stuff, such as biodiesel . . . as it is prolific and hardy. If we can't rid ourselves of it, we need to figure out how to USE it.

Just as a sidebar . . . I find the invasion of asian carp a very real concern, as their introduction into our north american ecosystem has affected other fish and plant life. To me, the comparison to kudzu is valid, b/c both lead to destruction of ecosystems - one with eutrophication of lakes and the other with destruction of plant life.

The only thing to do about Kudzu is try to minimize it from spreading. We can use goats to keep it at bay - and chemicals to kill it metabolically.

We can make wine and jelly out of it - and I do believe it could be used for biodiesel (anyone wanna give me a grant to prove that? LOL!!!)

I don't find anything strange about anyone being concerned about kudzu. As Sunny said, it has been used for erosion, but NC State University has been studying erosion in this state for many decades, and has developed much better plants for erosion control.

Here is info from a researcher at NC State on his search to find a way to control kudzu in the South:

http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/agcomm/maga...ng01/kudzu.htm

And here's another article on how NC State has experimented with goats to control kudzu

News brief: Goats control kudzu on Centennial Campus
ROFL, Ani! Yes, kudzu is the cockroach of the garden!

Here's something on the possible use of kudzu for biofuel. http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/0...l-ethanol.html

ETA: There are loads of kudzu recipes online. http://www.kudzufest.net/kudzurecipes.html

Last edited by southbound_295; 07-20-2010 at 10:37 PM..

Old 07-20-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting the thread ssd. I think it's a good thread.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:11 AM

385 posts, read 890,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
items to make out of Kudzo

Kudzu Flower Tea

Kudzu Flower Salad

Kudzu Flower Wine

Nutritional Information

Nice Find.

I actually saw it featured at restaurant in Atlanta that had it on the menu. A cross between spinach and greens. Also, was used in some sushi dishes as a filler.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:53 PM

116 posts, read 298,564 times
Quote:
Sunny, I live in the country too and don't have those fancy drainage systems either, just a husband who has worked very hard to fix our erosion problem. There are other types of plants that can do this and I have seen more and more recently so I am pretty sure us "outsiders" are not the only ones who are concerned about this.
You are not an "outsider". You belong here just as much as anyone else.

Funny you should mention the kudzu. I took a drive through Gaston County last week and noticed the kudzu went nuts right over the Mecklenburg/Gaston county line on Route 74. Kudzu covering everything. Remembering the spouse and I thought it was very pretty when we first lived in the Mooresville over 6 years ago. And then learned it was uncontrollable. Interesting thread.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:01 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times
Its funny how I never noticed it until I saw this thread a couple weeks ago.

The darn thing is EVERYWHERE....the thing is there are so many remote places that have it, that years from now I can see this becoming a huge problem....

Old 08-14-2010, 07:07 PM

747 posts, read 2,105,123 times
I have noticed it the heaviest at the corner of Tryon and Harris Blvd. It amazed me last year how it seems to go away with the cold weather, then just pops back up again the following year.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ignatowski View Post
You are not an "outsider". You belong here just as much as anyone else.

Funny you should mention the kudzu. I took a drive through Gaston County last week and noticed the kudzu went nuts right over the Mecklenburg/Gaston county line on Route 74. Kudzu covering everything. Remembering the spouse and I thought it was very pretty when we first lived in the Mooresville over 6 years ago. And then learned it was uncontrollable. Interesting thread.
I'm starting to think that the goats aren't a bad idea Jim. I think that Gaston, Cleveland, & Lincoln Counties should go together & get a herd of angorra goats. Hire some goat herders & give them removeable fencing & let the goats have at the kudzu. They can milk the goats & sell the goats milk. Shear those kudzu lovers once a year & give a spinning mill some work & then sell the yarn. As the goats multiply, each county could have their own herd, & maybe they could get into the cheese business too. That would be cheap kudzu control & the by-products could help to pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte