Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 08:16 AM

696 posts, read 1,302,237 times

Advertisements

Hello y'all -- I am a single 30 year old male of South Asian descent planning to move to Charlotte in October for work at BOfA. Any recommendation as to which part of the town would be a decent place for me to live...probably with some professional, neat roommates? I have been living in Richmond, VA for about 5 years now and like the outdoors and love the South and native Southern folks. Not much into the bar scene, just looking for a nice, quiet neighborhood where I could find like-minded individuals/roommates (don't have to be South Asian lol) and not too far from work. Oh I have a Jeep that I love and safe and guaranteed parking IS important!! Thanks and look forward to making some lifetime friends and hopefully adding to the cultural richness of Charlotte !!

-ron-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 08:26 AM

5 posts, read 22,203 times
Default Moving to Charlotte

Hi Ron,
I think you will like the Charlotte Scene if you liked Richmond. You mention that you are of South Asian Desent. Would that be Korean? There are a lot of diversity in the Charlotte area. If you want some outside type living, you may want to look at the Union County area. It is about 25 minutes into Charlotte during rush hours but great country living. There are a lot of condos in the Center City area also. My son just moved from the Atherton Mills Appartments to Weddington, NC in Union County.

Myself, I live in York, SC. I lived 60 years in Charlotte and when I retired, We moved out of the Charlotte area to get some quite living. My wife retired from BOA about 7 years ago and I retired from Carowinds Amusement Part 6 years ago.

Billy C.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:58 AM

Hi Billy --

Thank you very much for the tips on the areas and the warm welcoming note. I will look into those areas.

I am from the Indian sub-continent actually, but most my roommates in the last 12 years of living all over the Northeast belt of USA (during college/during jobs) are from here and most of my friend circle/roommates in Richmond are Richmond natives, so I am fairly assimilated and get along well with pretty much everyone !!

Thanks again.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:05 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,716,451 times
Would you rather be out in the "burbs" or closer to city? Would you prefer being able to walk to shops, restaurants, etc. or have more trees?

Old 07-23-2010, 09:09 AM

Definitely more trees...love the suburbs and zen and quiet....but anything more than 20-25 minutes of commute to BOfA would be a bit too stressful.... !!

Old 07-23-2010, 09:22 AM

Are you more trendy/artsy or more upscale/professional? Also, what is your price range? Are you looking to rent?

Old 07-23-2010, 09:39 AM

LOL I like you already Frank -- definitely very practical and to the point and asking all the right questions !!!

I am not too trendy/artsy .....more like a professsional yet laid-back guy. I avoid describing myself as "upscale" because that may (or may not) carry the impression of a rich snob of some sort, while I am more polite and mild-natured and down-to-earth and generally give people the respect they deserve and just quietly avoid the ones I find hard to respect.

I am looking to live with roommates at least for a year or so while I figure out the area and the local culture, also because I like to come home to a set of friends/like-minded professionals/graduate students instead of an empty house..you know? Planning to spend $600 tops may be for my share of the rent including utilities....hopefully I should abe able to afford something reasonable with that in the 'burbs in a roommmate situation? I spend significant amount of my free time either cooking or reading non-fictions or books related to my profession so not looking for too much noise/party-house.

Thanks again for your help Frank!

Old 07-23-2010, 09:42 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyusa View Post
Definitely more trees...love the suburbs and zen and quiet....but anything more than 20-25 minutes of commute to BOfA would be a bit too stressful.... !!
Welcome to Charlotte Ron Just FYI, Charlotte is a very suburban city - we have trees EVERYWHERE. So you don't have to be in the actual burbs for zen and quiet. In fact, this is what confuses so many newcomers - they keep looking for "the city" expecting it to be be more of a concrete jungle, lol!

Try looking on Craig's List for potential roommate situations. Betting you would like the South Park area best

Old 07-23-2010, 11:15 AM

LOL I like you too!

I agree with Loves, try Southpark area, maybe Southend, or Elizabeth. The way I view the city is anything south of the city between South Blvd. and Randolph Rd. is a safe bet for upscale/professional. There are lots of good pockets around other parts of the city too but you should really make sure to do you homework first. I would search the roommate websites for:
Southpark
Southend
Elizabeth
Dilworth
Uptown (the city center)

If you can't find anything, you could look at the 'university' area which would be okay too but not my first choice.

Let us know when you find some good postings and we can give you more specific comments on that area.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:25 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyusa View Post
You might want to look into Belmont, in Gaston county. It's a small town that is next to Mecklenburg County & very close to Uptown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte