Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,300 times

Advertisements

My husband may be relocated to the Charlotte area this summer. We would be looking for a nice area for children. But not too pricey. Last year we looked around the Mooresville and Huntersville areas. Are there nice area in Charlotte with good schools?

This is a tad overwhelming, so I would appreciate any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 03:59 PM

539 posts, read 1,500,211 times
Look at Indian Trail - Good Schools and nice family neighborhoods.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:31 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,753,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admsmom View Post
My husband may be relocated to the Charlotte area this summer. We would be looking for a nice area for children. But not too pricey. Last year we looked around the Mooresville and Huntersville areas. Are there nice area in Charlotte with good schools?

This is a tad overwhelming, so I would appreciate any input!
Do you know where the job is located?

Old 01-24-2011, 05:35 PM

985 posts, read 1,904,583 times
Depending on his job location..Union county has very good schools

Old 03-10-2011, 06:28 AM

2 posts, read 2,300 times
He will probably end up in the Mooresville/Statesville area. I am concerned about getting work myself. I am an office manager now, but I haven't seen a lot of job postings in the Charlotte area. I have only looked on Craigslist though.

We were looking to rent in the beginning to make sure this is the right move for us. Not more than $1100 per month. Is this a reasonable amount for a family neighborhood?

Old 03-10-2011, 08:46 AM

847 posts, read 1,353,507 times
You should not have much problem finding something in that range if you want an apartment. It's even possible you could find a house for that price in Mooresville. If he will end up in the Mooresville/Statesville area, then I say Mooresville would be the best place. The schools here are above and beyond great. Taxes are way cheaper here than Meck. county and it would be a lot closer for you to drive to Charlotte if were to find work there.

BTW, craigslist is not one of the better places to look for a job although you never know. Have a look at monster or the other job boards.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:13 AM

72 posts, read 188,649 times
If you are looking at Mooresville/ Statesville, I would also recommend looking in eastern Catawba County (Sherrills Ford/Terrell/Denver area). Right across the county line from Mooresville/Statesville (which is Iredell County), good school system, affordable housing.

Union County is also nice. I grew up there- it has definitely changed a lot. Very good school system, very rapid growth though. Highest growth rate in state. 2 of my cousins attend Porter Ridge High in Union County- very good school. Indian Trail is nice, affordable. Weddington/Waxhaw nice too, but more expensive.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:44 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,384,755 times
[quote=wevie;18216824]You should not have much problem finding something in that range if you want an apartment. It's even possible you could find a house for that price in Mooresville. If he will end up in the Mooresville/Statesville area, then I say Mooresville would be the best place. The schools here are above and beyond great. Taxes are way cheaper here than Meck. county and it would be a lot closer for you to drive to Charlotte if were to find work there...QUOTE]

Plenty of rentals to be had in your price range on the east/downtown side of Mooresville. If you get a rental in a subdivision, make sure the owner has paid the HOA fees, especially if they have a community pool. Mooresville Graded School District is excellent. Good location to travel to Statesville or Charlotte, lots of back roads available to bypass part or all of having to get on the highway.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:59 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,437,163 times
Lake Norman schools are also excellent- we have a 15 yr old at LNHS.
He started in the US school system as a Freshman and has settled in very well with good grades etc despite coming from a foreign system.
Good thing about Lake Norman schools is that there are people moving to the area from many parts of the country- admittedly maybe not so many now, and sure this applies to MG Schools too.

MGSD has the programm with Apple where every child has a laptop, and almost all work is done on the laptop.
There are some posts on here regarding the programm in MGSD.

You may find something in your rice range in SDs like Morrison plantation, Wateroaks, or maybe something off Perth Rd /HWY 150 West if you want something with more space but without comm' facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte