Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 03:41 PM

748 posts, read 1,772,455 times

Advertisements

I read that rain barrels work great for soaker hoses, but they don't have enough pressure on their own to drive a sprinkler. I think there were a bunch of new plants in the back of the house so the barrels will be perfect for those.

Hey, I have another request: a good bank. It's really important that they have excellent online bill payment. Ours here is fantastic. We switched to a different bank and the billpay was terrible so we switched back.

And the search for doctors, dentists and orthodontists will begin in a couple weeks. Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 06:20 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,048,794 times
You can probably stick with your current bank. You can have your paycheck direct deposited and get cash back when you buy groceries (to avoid the ATM fees). If you are happy with them, I would stay with them.

My personal bank (for my finances) is a credit union in CA. Have never been there. Have only seen one from the road in OH. There really is no need for a local bank in this day & time.

I work for a bank, but, I prefer doing things this way...

Oh, and Lowe's MAY have a credit union that you can become a part of. Don't know this, but, many large companies do.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post

Oh, and Lowe's MAY have a credit union that you can become a part of. Don't know this, but, many large companies do.
Good point. I'll check that out next week.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:55 PM

Also, Bobo, what you are probably not used to is that this is a banking town. As such, you rarely have to carry cash. You can use your debit card/credit card practically everywhere. It is almost uncommon to use cash for things. So, it is not as imperative to have a local bank.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:01 AM

I'm here! I drove down last Saturday and started work on Monday. So far I really like the area.
Sick of eating frozen burritos, but fridge, washer and dryer are coming today.

I really like the new house.

You all are some CRAAAAAZY drivers.
Crazier than any city I've ever lived in. It's only been a week but I can't count the number of times I've seen somebody whip through a gas station or strip mall parking lot to circumvent a red light.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
I'm here! I drove down last Saturday and started work on Monday. So far I really like the area.
Sick of eating frozen burritos, but fridge, washer and dryer are coming today.

I really like the new house.

You all are some CRAAAAAZY drivers.
Crazier than any city I've ever lived in. It's only been a week but I can't count the number of times I've seen somebody whip through a gas station or strip mall parking lot to circumvent a red light.
Yep! Welcome to the Charlotte metro area!! I know, right? In Chicago, those people would have multiple tickets in about a city minute!!

Oh, and passing on the RIGHT is allowed here!! Just learned that recently. Always thought those people were scofflaws too.

If you go for your driving test, just remember that they allow snow chains here. I fought for awhile on that question since they are against the law in IL.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:20 AM

Funny, the guy who just delivered my appliances moved here from NYC four years ago (he looked to be about 50), and even HE said driving here is crazier than NYC. Amazing.

My insurance guys says that the locals are merely "participating" in NASCAR.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:43 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,381,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
Funny, the guy who just delivered my appliances moved here from NYC four years ago (he looked to be about 50), and even HE said driving here is crazier than NYC. Amazing.

My insurance guys says that the locals are merely "participating" in NASCAR.
OMG...I KNOW THAT GUY!! He's a Mets fan & when he delivered our fridge 4 yrs ago, he started breaking our horns about our Yankees sticker on the car. A few weeks later, I'm in Lowe's Foods, trying to decide what icecream to buy, when I strike up a conversation with a women looking for icecream as well. She's from Long Is, NY, recently moved here & her DH does deliveries for Lowes. I asked her if he was a ball-busting Met fan & she said yes. She called him on her cell phone to see if he remembered us, his answer was "Oh, those Yankee fans with that driveway". We've been friends ever since.

Yes, the drivers here are crazy & they don't use directionals either.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:01 PM

So, Bobo, got your Cubs sticker on your car??????

Old 08-07-2010, 12:46 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,737,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
There really is no need for a local bank in this day & time.

That may be true in your case, but there's a huge portion of the population that would not agree.

For instance my parents (and many older people) do not do anything online.

There is no right or wrong answer. Its what a lot of people are comfortable with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte