Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 01:29 PM

3 posts, read 14,391 times

Advertisements

I just received my business license today for a courier/errand service. Based on the research I conducted before deciding to get into this field is that Charlotte doesn't have alot of type of service and due to the growth and expansion of this city it would be a good market to enter into. I just want to get other thoughts about my decision to open this type of business and if anyone has any pointers, suggestions or advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 11:07 PM

1 posts, read 8,151 times
Congrats! I am interested in starting the same business here in Fayetteville, NC while I finish my graduate degree. I have not done much research yet but from what I have read it should be very profitable and low-cost to start up and run. Basically all we need are vehicles for use at work and advertisement supply. After that just start finding clients and set your prices. Do I need a license to start? If so where and how do I get that? Good luck and let's keep in touch as we can probably help one another.Ms. [email]Meadowsgdean82@aol.com[/email]

Old 06-23-2009, 07:12 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
I had a courier make a delivery here at my house last week, and he surprised me. Besides being extremely well groomed and professional in the way he came to my door, stood back, announced why he was here, etc . . . he did something no courier has ever before done in all the years of my career. He asked if he could leave a business card with me, in case I ever needed to use his service.

Now, that seems a no-brainer, but indeed, I have never had a courier say "Perhaps you would have the occasion to need the services of a courier in the future. Could I leave a business card with you?"

You better believe I will call him in the future.

So I suggest having simple, decent quality business cards printed up and hand them out while making deliveries. In addition, I would suggest printing up info about your business and cold calling other businesses who would likely need your services.

Good luck!!!

Old 06-23-2009, 07:56 AM

201 posts, read 670,192 times
Hi!

Congrats and good luck!

I would call around other courier services, and price your services competitively.

Also, I'm not sure if this is standard or not, but if I were using a courier, I'd love a quick e-mail or call to let me know the packages or papers were delivered.

Taking advantage of social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook can help spread the word about your business as well.

Good luck!

Old 01-24-2010, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 7,664 times
To operate a courier business in North Carolina, you must be licensed. See N.C. Gen. Stat. 74-C of the North Carolina General Statutes. In order to get licensed, you must meet character requirements, provide proof of insurance and have run a courier business (while licensed) for at least two years.

If you advertise that your are a licensed courier and you are not, you could be subject to criminal action and civil action for fraud and unfair trade practices. Anyone who uses you could be sued for negligence. And you must also be HIPAA compliant to carry medical records and specimens.

Dot your i's and good luck~

Old 01-24-2010, 02:35 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,032,281 times
I believe that the OP said that he just received his business license....

Old 04-02-2013, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 5,120 times
I am starting a Courier & Errand Service in Ohio, I have tried to find out if I need a License and if so what kind but no one here can tell me. I know I need A Tax ID No. So if someone could help me I would appreciate it. Also I have read everything and have not found anything about using credit card machines to take payments, I would think Courier service for businesses would be using credit cards mostly, do you think I need to get one and if so what kind would I get that is mostly used for businesses like this, one that I can afford at this time, If someone could help me I would appreciate it.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:36 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,218,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammya08 View Post
I am starting a Courier & Errand Service in Ohio, I have tried to find out if I need a License and if so what kind but no one here can tell me. I know I need A Tax ID No. So if someone could help me I would appreciate it. Also I have read everything and have not found anything about using credit card machines to take payments, I would think Courier service for businesses would be using credit cards mostly, do you think I need to get one and if so what kind would I get that is mostly used for businesses like this, one that I can afford at this time, If someone could help me I would appreciate it.
I doubt anyone here will be familiar with Ohio laws, so you need to keep looking until you find someone there who can help you. As for credit card use, I'd consider Square or something like it.

https://squareup.com/

Old 04-02-2013, 02:07 PM

602 posts, read 573,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsms View Post
To operate a courier business in North Carolina, you must be licensed. See N.C. Gen. Stat. 74-C of the North Carolina General Statutes. In order to get licensed, you must meet character requirements, provide proof of insurance and have run a courier business (while licensed) for at least two years.

If you advertise that your are a licensed courier and you are not, you could be subject to criminal action and civil action for fraud and unfair trade practices. Anyone who uses you could be sued for negligence. And you must also be HIPAA compliant to carry medical records and specimens.

Dot your i's and good luck~

In order to get your license to operate a courier business in NC you have to run a courier business (while licensed) for two years

WTH?

Old 04-02-2013, 02:12 PM

602 posts, read 573,983 times
In college I always thought it would be a great idea to start a business that goes and buys cigs/beer/wine/cigars/munchies for the students that are too drunk to do it on nights/weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte