Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 11:19 AM

9 posts, read 35,485 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are in the moving process to Indian Trail, and I am curious of what cable companies/services offer the best in HD TV? WE live on the coast of N.C. now, and have Time Warner, but there are only a few HD channels? I have heard mixed reviews about direcTV. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 11:30 AM

167 posts, read 690,305 times
I live in NJ. But, I have Directv HD and its pretty good. They are in the process of launching 2 new satellites (one any day now and the other in a couple of months). When in orbit. Directv will be adding dozens of new HD channels.

Here is a link to DBStalk. They have the list of confirmed and possible HD channels.

Projected: DirecTV HD list - DBSTalk.Com

Old 06-26-2007, 03:04 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,407,354 times
WE went with time warner for our HD we have it in 2 rooms now and will be adding another HD box...We were with Direct Tv in jersey and were happy but time Warner is giving us more for our money, and the HD on time warner is alot nicer than Direct Tv in my dh's opinion...

Old 06-26-2007, 05:09 PM

462 posts, read 1,844,947 times
At my firehouse here in NY we have both direct and cable in the same area, actually to big HD TV's practically side by side (Don't ask) and cables picture always looks better hands down than Directs. Although the cable provider is Optimum(Cablevision) it's pretty much the same cr@p as Time Warner, so I would probably have to put my money on Direct TV being the inferior product, but not by much.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:04 PM

928 posts, read 3,855,171 times
I have HD TV with direct tv and it's awsome. They are supposed to roll out around 70 more channels later this year. Time warner quality was terrible in my opinion. The inital equipment with Direct TV is expensive, but if you press the sales person you can get a great deal like I Did.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:00 PM

396 posts, read 1,436,000 times
I think HD on Direct TV is MUCH inferior to Time Warner. I've had both with the same HD TV, and the cable is much better quality.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:27 PM

9 posts, read 35,485 times
Default Dvr

Now, as far as a DVR box, do you have to have Tivo with DirecTV? Or do they have their own DVR box? Also, I read that their is a substantial start up fee, and the equipment is rather expensive. Does anyone have a rough estimate of how much that would be? Thank you for the help.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:18 PM

531 posts, read 2,013,265 times
We have had great service with directv. I am excited for all of the new hd channels they will have soon!

A DVR-HD box was $399. you can purchase them at Best Buy too! We got a great deal through them to upgrade and it only cost us $100...instead of $400!

Old 06-27-2007, 07:07 AM

928 posts, read 3,855,171 times
Push the direct tv sales people into giving you a deal. I paid $66 to upgrade to the HDTV with TIVO. You do not need tivo. I beleive they have offers on their website too. I was already an existing direct tv customer and I decided to try time warner HD when I got my HDTV. It was not in the house 3 days and it was lousy. I figured I had nothing to lose. Maybe Timewarner has gotten better in the 2 months it's been, um ok. HOwever, I prefer Directtv.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:10 AM

16 posts, read 66,528 times
We've had both --- had Time Warner HD. HD picture looked OK and I delt with it only because I hadn't seen anything different. However, after months of terrible, and I mean TERRIBLE customer service we decided to switch to DirecTV. I'm sooo glad we did. The HD picture is clearer and crisper than Time Warner and ALL the other channels are digital unlike Time Warners promise of all channels being digital. That claim is simply not true; false advertising. I've had to call DirecTV's customer service several times, I have one HD plasma and two HD LCD TV's all with the HD-DVR's, and it took some tweaking to get everything right. They've always been responsive and helpful. You'll have to get a 5-LNB dish to get HD. I liked the Tivo boxes better than the DirecTV DVR boxes I had to get with DirecTV (DirecTV dissolved their relationship with Tivo about a year or so ago) but it's a small price to pay to be done with Time Warner's monopoly and bad service. If DirecTV is a bit expensive you might also try Dish network. I've heard good things about them as well but stay away from Time Warner, you'll be glad you did
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte