Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2010, 07:23 AM

42 posts, read 93,177 times

Advertisements

Currently we have a "bundle" with TWC. I'm not particularly thrilled with TWC -- we have a lot of internet problems which seem to have simple solutions, but why are we having them in the first place? -- but we're locked in til April. Sigh. However, my husband and I are willing to break it if we can find better deals elsewhere.

Current package: $130 for unlimited phone, digital cable (nothing premium) with DVR, and internet. And then $6.50 for HD, and about $12 in taxes. We would pay $75 to break our package.

Here's our wants/needs:
-Good, fast, reliable internet
-cable with dvr/HD

I'm thinking of getting rid of our home phones and just using our cells, or maybe switching to Vonage. I like having a home phone just because we send/receive faxes regularly.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 08:26 AM

747 posts, read 2,106,517 times
I wasnt in love with the bundles, I did mine separate. You can play the game where you switch each year to utilize the specials for new customers. What I did when my contract was up with Direct TV was to call TWC, and get a quote on the same pkg I have now with DTV. Then I called DTV, and asked them to match, otherwise I would switch. They matched for 6 Months, so in 6 Months I will call again, or switch. As for phone, I cancelled long distance, we use our cells. I got the bare minimum for phone coverage, and kept my high speed internet with them. I was able to trim $90 per Month by making these moves.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:01 AM

42 posts, read 93,177 times
Well, after doing some research, it seems like TWC is the fastest for internet (for now!) and their basic 'net price is comparable to Windstream, at $45/month.

So now I'm thinking about Ooma (I have read there are some strong opinions on here!) and either Dish or DirecTv.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:04 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,716,677 times
Do you really need cable? What shows do you watch regularly? We found that most of the shows we watch are on the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc.) If that's the case, you can get all these channels for free in HD over the air. We canceled our cable a year ago and could not be happier. We also have netflix. For $9 per month we can watch many shows streaming over the internet or get them on DVD through the mail.

The only thing we pay for is high speed internet through TWC. We only use our cell phones.

Also, I think there is software that lets you send and receive faxes through the internet so you don't need a landline phone.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:42 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,027,850 times
Got rid of the dish two months ago, have not missed it yet, loving the streaming for $9 a month.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:20 PM

364 posts, read 1,168,488 times
What can you stream? Current shows or past shows?

Old 08-09-2010, 01:39 PM

It varies it really depends on the content owner, catching up at the moment's on Bones episodes, if you go to netflix you should be able to get an idea of what shows are avaliable to stream.

I like Dr. Who and the last 4 seasons are all there to stream.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:40 PM

Just to further add we can stream to more than one tv at a time, which is really great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte