Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 11:07 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,603,426 times

Advertisements

So I am on the CO website, and they've got a list of what's open and what's closed on Labor day, it shows SC liquor stores, but instead of saying NC liquor stores, it states Mecklenburg ABC stores. Is this the only business that is allowed to sell liquor in Mecklenburg county, or can a person open a liquor store wherever they want? I'm not a big drinker, so I haven't really gone around looking for various stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 11:18 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,462,945 times
This drinker will help you out In NC bottled liquor is only sold through stores controlled by the NC Alcohol Beverage Control Commission. These are called ABC Stores.

Quote:
North Carolina is one of 19 control states and a member of the National Alcohol Beverage Control Association . As an agency under the Department of Commerce, it is our overall objective to provide uniform control over the sale, purchase, transportation, manufacture, consumption and possession of alcoholic beverages in the state.
Quote:
Q: How do I open an ABC Store?
Individuals cannot open liquor stores in North Carolina. Towns and counties have elections for an ABC store. The town/county appointing authority then appoints board members whose responsibility it is to establish the ABC store.
NC ABC website

Old 09-06-2010, 11:39 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,603,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
This drinker will help you out In NC bottled liquor is only sold through stores controlled by the NC Alcohol Beverage Control Commission. These are called ABC Stores.

NC ABC website
Thanks! I figured that might be the case, seems a bit odd, but I've never lived in a state that did that before. I wonder if they artificially inflate prices just because they can..

Old 09-06-2010, 12:12 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,584,597 times
Thats why so many people travel to SC to buy booze! It is cheaper.

Another thing that seems strange to me - teens age 18 to 20 are not allowed in ABC stores in Charlotte. Its o.k. if the kid is 17 but not 18 to 20 (even if they are with a parent). Does anyone know the reason for this? A few weeks ago I stopped at the ABC store and my son went in with me (he is 18). They made him leave so I left since I didn't want to leave him in the car when it was 90 degrees!

Old 09-06-2010, 12:34 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,341,273 times
So if you had lied and told them your son is 17 he could have stayed in the store with you? How bizarre is that?

Old 09-06-2010, 12:40 PM

I guess the reason is to keep kids from getting someone else to buy their liquor for them but it seems to me like there should be an exception if it is a parent! I was really shocked when the lady asked my son how old he was - he said '18' and she said you have to leave. I thought maybe she didn't realize he was with me so I told her I was his mom. She was pretty rude and said it didn't matter - he had to leave. Just seems like a strange rule to me......

Last edited by Charlotteborn; 09-06-2010 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-06-2010, 01:22 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,341,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Just seems like a strange rule to me......
"strange" doesn't quite capture it. That seems like an idiotic rule to me, totally stupid rule, makes no sense rule, a rule that likely would not withstand a court challenge. I don't care what rationalization you concoct to explain it - the rule makes no sense. To prevent a 19 year old from ... what? Having a 21 year old buy for him? Wake up! 14 year old kids drink too. Somebody please explain this rule to me. Maybe I lack imagination - I can't dream up a justification for it. Is it the same logic that allows children into a whorehouse as long as they are not past puberty? (I just made that rule up)

Old 09-06-2010, 01:48 PM

Xcape - I agree. I have calmed down alot since that happened but it does seem like a ridiculous rule to me too. I actually came home from that experience and tried to find out about the rule on the internet - never could figure it out. I just guessed that it was to 'prevent underage drinking?'.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:38 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,226,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
"strange" doesn't quite capture it. That seems like an idiotic rule to me, totally stupid rule, makes no sense rule, a rule that likely would not withstand a court challenge....
Oh yes it would withstand a court challenge. The 21st Amendment to the US Constitution, which repealed the federal prohibition on all alcohol, specifically gave the state governments absolute authority over alcohol sales within their respective states. Alcohol, unlike almost everything else, can't be regulated by federal rules or in most cases lack constitutional protections on commerce. It's a special case. In other words, NC, like any other state, can do anything it wants with booze sales. Ironically NC refused to ratify this amendment.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:05 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,067,694 times
[quote=Charlotteborn;15777215] Another thing that seems strange to me - teens age 18 to 20 are not allowed in ABC stores in Charlotte. Its o.k. if the kid is 17 but not 18 to 20 (even if they are with a parent). Does anyone know the reason for this?/quote]

Probably to try and cut down on underage drinking. At least they have it at only 18-20 cannot come in. Indiana's laws are that you can't have any minor, not even a baby, in a liquor store. I don't have any kids, so I don't know how strict they are on that rule, but that to me is a little too extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte