Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 08:40 PM

10 posts, read 43,451 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are going to be relocating later this year or early next year. One of the critical features is a kitchen with a gas range. Most of the existing houses that we've seen on line have electric cooktops.

Can someone give me an estimate on how much it might cost to convert from electric to gas?

Thanks
Todd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 09:26 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,024,540 times
If you have gas to the house around $300 for the gas line.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:49 PM

476 posts, read 1,576,050 times
Thanks for posting this question, I am adamant about wanting a gas range as well so this information is very helpful. Thanks also for the answers.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:49 PM

543 posts, read 1,825,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
If you have gas to the house around $300 for the gas line.
Good choice. If you buy a spec house, plan on adding another $300 or so for a change fee

Old 07-03-2007, 11:25 PM

70 posts, read 376,202 times
Wow! That is expensive if you already have gas to the house! It is an EASY thing to do since they now use the flexible hoses......no saudering. I paid someone $50 to hookup my stove and after seeing what he did, I could have done it myself. Didn't require a permit either if you already have service to your house. Call your gas company, they will give you a service contact. Or, lookup reliableremodeler.com for referrals.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:45 AM

543 posts, read 1,825,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginamcd View Post
Wow! That is expensive if you already have gas to the house! It is an EASY thing to do since they now use the flexible hoses......no saudering. I paid someone $50 to hookup my stove and after seeing what he did, I could have done it myself. Didn't require a permit either if you already have service to your house. Call your gas company, they will give you a service contact. Or, lookup reliableremodeler.com for referrals.

Yeah, it is an easy hookup but some of the builders don't even run the gas line to the stove area unless you pay for the 'upgrade'.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:16 AM

476 posts, read 1,576,050 times
This is all great info. It will help in our home search. If it is that easy a fix, then I can STOP narrowing down homes to those which already have gas ranges, it definitely broadens my search tremendously. Thanks again.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:23 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Since gas does not come all the way out to where I live (above Statesville - Iredell county) and I detest electric cook stoves, I have a 125 gallon propane tank hooked up to my range. ~$260 / year to fill, runs along the outside future down-draft exhaust fan, e.g., Jenn-Aire electric range.
No extra charge - but then I had an independent builder, not a "developer". I would do it again in a heartbeat as well as fit an outside line for an outdoor grill. BluGas and Suburban Propane are two companies that may be helpful.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:18 AM

10 posts, read 43,451 times
Thanks for the responses. We too won't have to narrow our focus. Almost every house we've seen has gas heat and gas water heaters so they have gas to the home, it will just be a matter of calling the gas company and buying the new cooktop.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:52 PM

21 posts, read 102,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Since gas does not come all the way out to where I live (above Statesville - Iredell county) and I detest electric cook stoves, I have a 125 gallon propane tank hooked up to my range. ~$260 / year to fill, runs along the outside future down-draft exhaust fan, e.g., Jenn-Aire electric range.
No extra charge - but then I had an independent builder, not a "developer". I would do it again in a heartbeat as well as fit an outside line for an outdoor grill. BluGas and Suburban Propane are two companies that may be helpful.
only about $20/month ??? just for cook top or also for gas heat and hot water ( if so how big is your house )

any one has an idea if propane tank is more economical than electric or city gas line ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte