Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 09:44 PM

337 posts, read 663,584 times

Advertisements

Every year where every I live I find a local agency that helps deliver meals on Turkey day to those in need.

Since I'm new to the Charlotte region I am looking for help on finding
NON-Church Organizations that need volunteers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 08:03 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,038,729 times
Mens/Womans shelters are all that I can come up with that do not have a faith-based initiative behind them. Even there, you are bound to run into one of those crazy Christian or Jewish types.

Maybe you should do your own? The police dept may well allow you to ride along and distribute blankets and necessities to the many homeless that camp out around the city.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:30 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
You might want to contact Charlotte Friends. I know that you said nothing religious, but I used to live in a place where there were a lot of Quakers & never once did one attempt to convert me, or anyone who I knew. That's not their thing. They are usually very involved with the community, however.

I know nothing about this meeting other than they exist. Where I used to live the individual meetings didn't get into food distribution, but this was close to the headquarters of the American Friends Service Committe which did handle that.

If you don't get what you want here, try contacting them. If they don't do it, they can probably point you in the right direction. Charlotte Friends Meeting

Old 11-14-2010, 10:09 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,675 times
Home | Friendship Trays | Charlotte Meals On Wheels

Meals on wheels in Charlotte-Mecklenburg ●

Old 11-14-2010, 02:01 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanceryan View Post
Every year where every I live I find a local agency that helps deliver meals on Turkey day to those in need.

Since I'm new to the Charlotte region I am looking for help on finding
NON-Church Organizations that need volunteers
Again, it would be helpful to have more background from you

I mean to me, being able to do the most good if an organization was backed by those that are religious but didn't use their mission for preaching, would seem OK to me but maybe not to you.

Urban Ministries for example and the Salvation Army (which is an actual church) believe in helping man up but that doesn't mean they are preaching to you when they do so.

Are you worried someone might offer grace? Because that might be hard to avoid on Thanksgiving. And of course if you mean "deliver" as in via car then I'm not sure what you are trying to avoid with the religious aspect if it is one one one.

[SIZE=4][SIZE=3][SIZE=2]Friendship Trays [/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=2]might be a good match but is it OK if they came from churches or are partnered with religious organizations?

I'm just thinking in Charlotte it's going to to be hard to find an organization that is doing these kinds of good deeds without have a faith based seed somewhere.

Hopefully I'm making a mountain out of a molehill but where's the beef?

This is one of the few times per year we see so many people following the parts of Jesus' teachings about taking care of the poor instead of all that other gunk that gets thrown in especially during election years!
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 11-15-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Again, it would be helpful to have more background from you

I mean to me, being able to do the most good if an organization was backed by those that are religious but didn't use their mission for preaching, would seem OK to me but maybe not to you.

Urban Ministries for example and the Salvation Army (which is an actual church) believe in helping man up but that doesn't mean they are preaching to you when they do so.

Are you worried someone might offer grace? Because that might be hard to avoid on Thanksgiving. And of course if you mean "deliver" as in via car then I'm not sure what you are trying to avoid with the religious aspect if it is one one one.

[SIZE=4][SIZE=3][SIZE=2]Friendship Trays [/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=2]might be a good match but is it OK if they came from churches or are partnered with religious organizations?

I'm just thinking in Charlotte it's going to to be hard to find an organization that is doing these kinds of good deeds without have a faith based seed somewhere.

Hopefully I'm making a mountain out of a molehill but where's the beef?

This is one of the few times per year we see so many people following the parts of Jesus' teachings about taking care of the poor instead of all that other gunk that gets thrown in especially during election years!
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Not sure what more info you need, you seemed to get the jist of what I was asking, and what the purpose for the "Mountain out of a Mole Hill" statement was for???

Every year I do just what Im doing now since Im usually in a diff area, and it usually works out me finding a place.

I guess your last sentence sums up why I prefer to stay away from religous groups, cause faith or opinion always finds a way to creep in the conversation/picture.

My feeling is that can't others just do for those who need just to do? W/ out the preachy side to it.

I get a feeling maybe your wanting this post to go down a diff road with the

"This is one of the few times per year we see so many people following the parts of Jesus' teachings about taking care of the poor instead of all that other gunk that gets thrown in especially during election years!
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]"

Sorry but can't follow you down that same old tired path!

Old 11-15-2010, 12:04 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,268 times
Quote:
Not sure what more info you need, you seemed to get the jist of what I was asking, and what the purpose for the "Mountain out of a Mole Hill" statement was for???

Every year I do just what Im doing now since Im usually in a diff area, and it usually works out me finding a place.

I guess your last sentence sums up why I prefer to stay away from religous groups, cause faith or opinion always finds a way to creep in the conversation/picture.

My feeling is that can't others just do for those who need just to do? W/ out the preachy side to it.

"This is one of the few times per year we see so many people following the parts of Jesus' teachings about taking care of the poor instead of all that other gunk that gets thrown in especially during election years!
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]"

Try the Unitarian Universalist Church of Charlotte. It's a "church" only in a sense that people of many different faiths or no faith at all get together on Sundays to discuss spirituality, society and other issues. They do a lot of outreach. Not sure if they have a Thanksgiving-specific drive though.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:07 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,714,802 times
Best volunteer site in Charlotte (lists many activities):

Hands On Charlotte (http://www.handsoncharlotte.org/HomePage/index.php/home.html - broken link)

Old 11-15-2010, 04:12 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,153 times
Quote:

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]"

I mean that accept for someone saying grace I've not really seen Thanksgiving being used for proselytizing. And some big place like Urban Ministries where you could have a chance to sit down with homeless and help brighten their day, or Salvation Army being the same way.

Mountain out of molehill meaning how far removed from "church" do you require?

Let us know what you choose!

Old 11-15-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
Best volunteer site in Charlotte (lists many activities):

Hands On Charlotte (http://www.handsoncharlotte.org/HomePage/index.php/home.html - broken link)
Great Thank You!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte