Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 05:26 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,800,621 times

Advertisements

Firing range is a target of concern - CharlotteObserver.com

Does anyone on here live near this "range" where the Dr fires machine guns? I am a person who enjoys firing guns, at indoor shooting ranges. I cannot imagine, as a parent living in this community where you are hearing machine gun fire and being comfortable living there. They also mention a school in the area where they heard gunfire during the day.

What the hell is this Sheriff thinking? Can this allowance be repealled if someone, more sensible gets elected next term?

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 06:30 AM

575 posts, read 1,516,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
Firing range is a target of concern - CharlotteObserver.com

Does anyone on here live near this "range" where the Dr fires machine guns? I am a person who enjoys firing guns, at indoor shooting ranges. I cannot imagine, as a parent living in this community where you are hearing machine gun fire and being comfortable living there. They also mention a school in the area where they heard gunfire during the day.

What the hell is this Sheriff thinking? Can this allowance be repealled if someone, more sensible gets elected next term?

What do you all think?
This is a non story that has been handled by the courts at the expense of the Wesley Chapel taxpayers. Clearly with the failing Observer it's easier to rehash settled arguments than to do some true investigative journalism.

Is Jack Ryan a disgruntled homeowner in StoneGate? What the hell were you thinking? Are you not sensible? Running for office?

Here's the three paragraphs that pretty much end the debate, swallow hard.

"In 2008, Wesley Chapel passed an ordinance that sharply restricted the use of firearms. Soon afterward, the town issued Land a cease and desist order, saying his range was illegal because it violated land-use laws.

Land fought back in court, citing the N.C. Sport Shooting Range Protection Act - a 1997 law designed to protect longtime owners of gun ranges from encroaching development and noise ordinances.

This year, the N.C. Court of Appeals ruled that Wesley Chapel couldn't shut down Land's firing range because it was grandfathered in under the old land-use rules."

Old 12-26-2010, 08:04 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,183 times
Seems to me I remember hearing that Mr. Land (the gun owner) lived there and had a firing range before Stonegate was built. Did the residents not know about the firing range? I agree that he has a right to fire his guns but I wouldn't want to live within a mile of the shooting range......just saying.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:13 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,800,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondplayer View Post
Is Jack Ryan a disgruntled homeowner in StoneGate? What the hell were you thinking? Are you not sensible? Running for office?

"
What are you talking about? I just read an article online in The Observer and wanted to see what people think? I live in Ballantyne and was just concerned about the people that live in this community whether they're adults or children having to deal with people firing machine guns or any firearms for that matter where a stray bullet can roam free.

I also thought it was crazy that the Sheriff condoned this whether now or at one time.

Oh, and my name is Jake, not Jack

Old 12-26-2010, 08:58 AM

468 posts, read 826,933 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? I just read an article online in The Observer and wanted to see what people think? I live in Ballantyne and was just concerned about the people that live in this community whether they're adults or children having to deal with people firing machine guns or any firearms for that matter where a stray bullet can roam free.

I also thought it was crazy that the Sheriff condoned this whether now or at one time.

Crazy for those outsiders that have moved here and have an irrational fear of guns and want to change things to the way THEY want it.

The man built his range long before there were surrounding neighborhoods. He built it to NRA standards and made sure it would be safe. He built it legally and in compliance with the law.

At one time there were stories about stray bullets coming from the property and those claims were totally unfounded.

Dr. Land is being persecuted by those that have moved into the area and want him to quit his love of the shooting sports on his own property. The people that bought these homes should be upset with the developer for not informing them of the potential noise problem. There is NO safety problem as Dr Land has seen to it that his range is of safe design and all safe procedures are used in the use of his land.

And Sheriff Cathy is following the letter of the law. I will always support a law officer that follows and enforces the LAW and not go on some personal vendetta or fear campaign such as being done repeatedly by the Charlotte Observer and their continued exploitation of a non-story.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:22 AM

575 posts, read 1,516,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post
Crazy for those outsiders that have moved here and have an irrational fear of guns and want to change things to the way THEY want it.

The man built his range long before there were surrounding neighborhoods. He built it to NRA standards and made sure it would be safe. He built it legally and in compliance with the law.

At one time there were stories about stray bullets coming from the property and those claims were totally unfounded.

Dr. Land is being persecuted by those that have moved into the area and want him to quit his love of the shooting sports on his own property. The people that bought these homes should be upset with the developer for not informing them of the potential noise problem. There is NO safety problem as Dr Land has seen to it that his range is of safe design and all safe procedures are used in the use of his land.

And Sheriff Cathy is following the letter of the law. I will always support a law officer that follows and enforces the LAW and not go on some personal vendetta or fear campaign such as being done repeatedly by the Charlotte Observer and their continued exploitation of a non-story.
It seems like this whole controversy began with a resident of StoneGate, Sondra Bradford, who was a former contributor to the Union County Weekly. Her 'expertise' was as a food critic of 'family style' restaurants with an emphasis on the adequacy of changing tables inside the womens and mens rest rooms. The Weekly's former editor Pat Higgins was passed the baton and ran with weekly personal attacks while at the same time calling for justice for 'frightened' homeowners, what irony. I'm surprised that no defamation suits were brought, they were surely justified.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:58 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,009 times
Quote:

Here is a thread that was started in 2008 -
Stonegate subdivision off Newtown and shooting range contraversy

and another one - Wesley Chapel gun range

As mentioned previously, the Dr. and his range were there before the neighborhood existed.

Last edited by NCgirl; 12-26-2010 at 10:15 AM..

Old 12-26-2010, 10:35 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,517,434 times
This is all such a non issue. The observer must have nothing else to write about, perhaps they could do stories on positive things this season, instead of being trifling and hashing a dead and resolved issue.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:41 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
Quote:

What do you all think?
This is another periodic instigation of Dr. Land and his gun range. He is perfectly legal and the "neighbors" are just whining until they can sway public opinion over the facts and law.

As far as that comment back to you in an earlier post, I saw it as a reply to the opinion you made (above). You didn't simply post the article, but you took a shot (no pun intended) at the sheriff and then asked for opinions. No big deal. That's just the way I read it.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:43 AM

277 posts, read 661,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
This is all such a non issue. The observer must have nothing else to write about, perhaps they could do stories on positive things this season, instead of being trifling and hashing a dead and resolved issue.

...maybe it has something to do with the fact that one of the homeowners cited in that article has their property up for sale, and can't move the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte