Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 10:11 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
LOL it was worth a shot
After some searching on your own, you will find "your route". Probably will be some back roads you can take to shorten time. Living in Iredell county I dont know many other ways but I-77. Hopefully someone who travels from that direction can help you better, but some people guard their way to work as a close guarded secret!

Being in Lincoln county, I think its an easier commute to Charlotte. More secondary roads to take and its less populated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2006, 06:29 AM

58 posts, read 286,889 times
I expected that 77 would be busy, being the main artery that heads to Charlotte. Much like the Garden State Parkway is the main artery that heads up from the Jersey Shore towards NY. I was really interested in a characterization of the traffic...bumper-to-bumper, excessive speed, etc. And it seems you've described that. Something like that could easily govern our decision of where to live, should we get to that point.

Thanks for all the comments so far...please keep them coming...

Old 09-01-2006, 07:52 PM

348 posts, read 430,112 times
Welcome NJ'er! We ran from there as well two years ago!

We live in South Charlotte right near 485/Providence Road and hubby works in Moorseville. Commute is 45 minutes at 7AM when he leaves. Add on minutes if you plan on departing later. He HATES the commute. Says it is hell. He comes back home at 4PM, and again, add on minutes if you are closer to the 5-6PM leaving time. Why wouldn't you just live north if you have to work in Moorseville?

My hubby is looking for a new job south. With the gas prices, wear and tear on the car--he puts 500 miles on car each week heading up there. Makes no sense!

Old 09-01-2006, 09:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,504 times
I feel obligated to chime in here. I see people on here thinking
they're going to move down here and life will be so much better
than where they're from. Well, it's not quite like that. Close,
but not quite.

Don't get me wrong, I love it here and would never move back to Mass.

But you've gotta understand...

Metro Charlotte is a major city, with thousands of new people and
families moving here each month. There are new subdivisions, new
retail, new roads, new everything. You're not going to figure out
some secret route in and out of the city.

If you're looking to improve your quality of life, you absolutely must
do away with the killer commute. I live and work in Huntersville, a 4 mile
commute, and this single fact is what makes the relocation a success.
Sure, real estate is cheaper, people are friendlier, etc. But it's the
commute that drives Americans mad, and it's having an easy one that
keeps me happy day in and day out.

Don't think you're going to run up and down 77 every day and be
happy. I honestly think if you work in Charlotte, living any further
north than exit 23 (where the 4-lane ends) is crazy. I cross 77
every day on Mt Holly-Huntersville Rd and more often than not, at
5PM, 77N is choked or stopped.

Good news is there's no tolls :-)

Old 09-02-2006, 03:26 PM

3 posts, read 7,253 times
I moved out of NJ seven months ago and now work in Uptown Charlotte. I live in Huntersville, just north of Charlotte. My commute consists of taking Interstate 77, and I leave early such that I rarely encounter traffic. Takes me about 25 min.

Certainly beats my previous 1:30 commute to NYC!

Old 09-02-2006, 04:08 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_pete View Post
I feel obligated to chime in here. I see people on here thinking
they're going to move down here and life will be so much better
than where they're from. Well, it's not quite like that. Close,
but not quite.

Don't get me wrong, I love it here and would never move back to Mass.

But you've gotta understand...

Metro Charlotte is a major city, with thousands of new people and
families moving here each month. There are new subdivisions, new
retail, new roads, new everything. You're not going to figure out
some secret route in and out of the city.

If you're looking to improve your quality of life, you absolutely must
do away with the killer commute. I live and work in Huntersville, a 4 mile
commute, and this single fact is what makes the relocation a success.
Sure, real estate is cheaper, people are friendlier, etc. But it's the
commute that drives Americans mad, and it's having an easy one that
keeps me happy day in and day out.

Don't think you're going to run up and down 77 every day and be
happy. I honestly think if you work in Charlotte, living any further
north than exit 23 (where the 4-lane ends) is crazy. I cross 77
every day on Mt Holly-Huntersville Rd and more often than not, at
5PM, 77N is choked or stopped.

Good news is there's no tolls :-)
WELL SAID Pete
I keep trying to reiterate this point when I talk to people interested in moving here. LIVE ON THE SIDE OF TOWN YOU WORK ON. I don't care if you are already coming from an area where your commute has been long and you think you are used to it - do the rest of us a favor who have seen our commute times quadruple because of all the newbies on the road - don't purposely choose to add to the congestion. And as Pete says, you are supposedly coming here to add to your quality of life - which will be adversely effected if you work in south Charlotte and insist on living in Huntersville or Mooresville. Just think about it please.

Old 09-17-2006, 11:25 PM

98 posts, read 618,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
WELL SAID Pete
I keep trying to reiterate this point when I talk to people interested in moving here. LIVE ON THE SIDE OF TOWN YOU WORK ON. I don't care if you are already coming from an area where your commute has been long and you think you are used to it - do the rest of us a favor who have seen our commute times quadruple because of all the newbies on the road - don't purposely choose to add to the congestion. And as Pete says, you are supposedly coming here to add to your quality of life - which will be adversely effected if you work in south Charlotte and insist on living in Huntersville or Mooresville. Just think about it please.

This is very so true. I am also from Boston and my commute back home was only 13 miles to work. I got down here and was driving 50 miles each day commuting from south charlotte to lincolton for work. Am I happy each day. Ah no. Gas prices are ridiculous and it's 80 dollars to fill up my tank twice each week. It's been a challenge but I see the value in living closer to where you work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte