Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 02:00 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Great minds...
Hee Hee. Great minds or not, we speak from experience, that's for sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 02:24 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am sure someone out there got a job thru/ the internet (hotjobs, monster, indeed, etc) but to my knowledge - no one I know ever has.

Hey Ani, good to see you, I would just like to state for the record, that the job I currently have, I found on Monster.com, I know the company I work for as a matter of routine will post job openings on Monster and on the companys website.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:30 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP51P47 View Post
Any ideas on a home based business that I could start on a shoestring budget? Something internet based? What about learning a trade? I am very capable when working with my hands...and creative. Doing contract work for companies? Doing work that companies would rather farm out versus doing it in house.

If you have any ideas or actual contacts for any of the above, let me know. I will follow up asap.

I am degreed (4 year) and have years of professional level experience under my belt including: project management (non IT), supervision, administration, corporate training, e-commerce, and importing. This experience was in a VARIETY of different industries and environments.
I would say right now that ecommerce is where the growth is, perhaps market yourself as an ecommerce consultant, as an internet based business.

Also with importing experience you could maybe market yourself to consult people in other countries to help sell product in the USA.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:33 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Pet sitting?
Dog walking?
A web site designed around your interests (reviews, stories, etc.)? If you can get some advertisers you may be able to pull down some money.
Writing for the Examiner? Chicago News, Chicago Information, Chicago Events - Examiner.com | Examiner.com
Trying "pay to click" sites such as swagbucks.com If you know how to work the system you can get a lot of rewards through it. I easily get around $25 in Amazon gift cards a month. Not much, but sounds like any bit would help.
Buying junk at yard sales and selling in on eBay?

Old 01-28-2011, 02:35 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Hey Ani, good to see you, I would just like to state for the record, that the job I currently have, I found on Monster.com, I know the company I work for as a matter of routine will post job openings on Monster and on the companys website.
I knew someone out there had gotten jobs off these services, or surely they wouldn't still exist! I have actually posted job openings (for real jobs, lol) on monster in years past, but my oh my . . . we got in more resumes from folks who didn't even qualify for the jobs than real potential candidates. So we never hired anyone from those postings and eventually quit using monster, hotjobs, etc.

However, these days, any lead is one that has to be followed! Nice to know that there really are companies w/ actual job openings - and they are being posted where folks have access to that info. Thanx, Scotsman (and nice to see you, too!)

Old 01-28-2011, 02:49 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,086,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I understand. My son has been unemployed for over 2 years as well. No interviews either. the USA jobs link, although thoughtful does not seem to do anything...both of us have been entering applications on that site for the last 2+ years, absolutely NOTHING...no e-mails, no phone calls, no letter saying "go away". Not sure if anyone gets hired through there. The situation is dire, indeed. So sorry for your predicament.
The vast majority of those jobs are already filled prior to the posting. The postings are required by law and that's why they end up on the website.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:04 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,899,623 times
You said you might be up for learning a trade and you work well with your hands. Can you apprentice yourself to a skilled tradesman? There is always work for good plumbers, electricians, furniture designers, bricklayers, old house renovators, kitchen designers, boat makers, car detailers, and so on.

In this market, resumes serve as basket liners. You need face to face contact, and a relationship with someone who is working on the job you want. You will have to prove yourself to be a good, interested, and avid learner.

I can't tell you how often I was impressed by these types of potential employees when I was interviewing people. One guy, an audiovisual technician, insisted on staying at our place of employment and working for free for two days. Needless to say, he was good, smart, dependable and he was hired.

Don't be afraid to volunteer for a short time. Anyone who e-mails a resume is wasting their time. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Here's more ideas: http://www.dllr.state.md.us/labor/approcc/approcc.shtml

Old 01-28-2011, 07:12 PM

39 posts, read 104,187 times
Matt posted his "cry for help" almost 10 days ago and has not responded to any of the ideas provided by you good folk...I would say this is either a hoax or a hook for a scam.

Last edited by tbertz; 01-28-2011 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: edit erros

Old 01-28-2011, 11:48 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbertz View Post
Matt posted his "cry for help" almost 10 days ago and has not responded to any of the ideas provided by you good folk...I would say this is either a hoax or a hook for a scam.
Or the person is really hurting.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:43 AM

238 posts, read 1,505,224 times
Put an add on craigslist detailing the skills you are good at. You can do general handyman type jobs and make decent money. Truck driving, cable or satellite installation, landscaping etc are all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte