Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:33 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,045,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
Does that mean you stream everything?
Or that you don't watch anything?

I know people who have gone strictly Internet-based media, but I'm not ready for it.
I use espn3 for sports as well as broadcast, plenty of good programs on broadcast once you start looking.

I use the streaming when I want to watch a movie or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 12:58 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,772,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Jack, I don't give a rip about Sportscenter. There is UNC-Kids. The UNC channels are UNC, UNC-Kids, & UNC-Ex. I don't know, I'm older, but I grew up with 2 TV channels & I read a lot.
I read alot at night, but the wife and I enjoy many shows on TV as do the kids. I also enjoy sports like alot of guys do typically...

I'm just asking because situations like mine are pretty typical and wanted to know if this is something I'd have to make major changes? (which it seems like I would...)

I am not sure, just trying to find out.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:59 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,772,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Not having children & not liking sports I don't find that I'm missing anything. We watch DVDs & my wife enjoys English programming on Netflix.
Our situation then is like apples and grapefruits...we really cant compare.

Was looking for people who have kids and enjoy sports.....

Old 03-21-2011, 01:08 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,826,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I read alot at night, but the wife and I enjoy many shows on TV as do the kids. I also enjoy sports like alot of guys do typically...

I'm just asking because situations like mine are pretty typical and wanted to know if this is something I'd have to make major changes? (which it seems like I would...)

I am not sure, just trying to find out.
You can watch some things online for free. I like to rewatch Who do you think you are, for instance.

Your kids could probably find more free substitutes, but you could pay for an online subscription to stream sports events. It would probably be cheaper in the end, & you could get specific with sports subscriptions, like subscribing to watch the Yankees or Mets. I thought about doing that for Phillies games, but that will have to wait as I'm paying off medical bills.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:19 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,464,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini365i View Post
And why?
DirecTV. They have the best picture among the competitors. In addition, they have more HD programming. Granted, you pay a premium for it. Though for me, the price is worth it to have the best picture I can possibly have. And yes, I have been on all 3 services at one point in time. Dish I found to have a weak signal thus scrambling more times than I have had on DirecTV. Time Warner/Comcast/Comporium all just a really bad picture in comparison to the other two.

As for going without any television service... I watch too many sports to go that route. ESPN3 is pretty limited on the teams I watch. Locals also don't follow the teams I support.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:42 PM

10,113 posts, read 11,003,281 times
DirecTV here.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:20 AM

137 posts, read 388,293 times
This is what I am thinking too. I plan on getting TWC installed in my 1 bedroom to check out the service. I'll live there for a month. I'll keep Internet and phone with TWC and switch to DirecTV for the new renovated 2 BR unit I will occupy May 1st.

How is the phone service with TWC? I set up an acct with at&t just to get a 704 #, since I'm not interested in a 980. I'll port my 704 into TWC.

JE

Old 03-22-2011, 05:42 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,299,129 times
704 is not limited to AT&T. You can get this area code with all VoIP providers. Some will even show you the available numbers and let you pick it from a list. For example http://voip.ms/dids.php?action=statesearch&state=NC

Old 03-22-2011, 07:07 AM

847 posts, read 1,355,311 times
I say Direct TV too. I have had it for over ten years and would not have it any other way. Better picture and more HD programming. Not that I have a 3D TV, but they already have three or four 3D channels too. Not to mention, if you watch NFL football, they have NFL Sunday Ticket which no one else has.

If I decide I want a movie channel or channels for a while, I call them up and ask them to let me have them for free, and they always give them to me for either 3 or 6 months.

BTW, why are you worried about a land line? Do you not have a cell phone? I have not had a line line for at least 5 years. The only ones that ever called mine was telemarketers anyway.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:18 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,294,719 times
I was happy with Dish until I tried to add a couple channels. My bill went up 80%, and I still don't have the three channels I wanted, but now I can't go back to the package I had. They've compensated me somewhat, but I think ti's ridiculous that I need to spend nearly $100 a month to get Speed, FX, and Spike, all in HD. Icould go with a basic package, load up all the HBOs, SHowtimes, etc., and still end up paying less than I do now, but I still wouldn't have the channels I want.

The worst part is Speed HD was live for a short time, so I programmed my DVR for several programs. Now it's gone, and all I get is a black screen. Dish says I never had it, and can't understand why I would have programmed for shows I couldn't get. They're ever more clueless when I call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte