Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 10:43 AM

689 posts, read 1,664,029 times

Advertisements

I have TWC for phone, internet and cable. I have always been happy with all 3 services. It isn't cheap, but none of them are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 12:40 PM

416 posts, read 931,272 times
If you are the least bit tech savy you can easily watch everything online.

My setup:

Bonus room - HDMI cable from computer to HD TV. Allows me to directly watch anything I can pull up on the internet directly on my TV. Great for ESPN3. I have an Xbox 360 and I paid $20 for a year of Playon service. You would also need to pay $32/year (on sale) for Xbox 360 Gold membership. The 360 can pull up Netflix and PlayOn. PlayOn allows you to pull up Hulu directly (and wirelessly). I could pull up Hulu on my computer and send it to the TV through the HDMI, but PlayOn is a much cleaner option (and allows me to not have to go back and forth between the TV and computer). HD antenna ($10) to pull in HD CBS, ABC, NBC, PBS (3-4 stations), WB, UPN, and a couple of weather stations.

Living Room/Bedroom - HD TV hooked up to Seagate Free Agent Theatre + (you can buy a Patriot or Western Digital Model as well, cost $40 when on sale, $100 when not on sale). This setup allows me to stream netflix and to access Hulu wirelessly through PlayOn. I can also stream anything on my computer directly to it or hook an external hard drive with moves on it directly to it and watch. HD Antenna for free over the air content.

I dropped both of my HD boxes off at TWC a couple of months ago. Asked them to cut my cable off (was paying $179 for cable/internet...now paying $35 for internet). Received a call within 3 hours of dropping the boxes off offering me a reduced rate of $75 for internet & 1 non-HD box. Didn't take it.

TWC Cost:
$140/month cable

Non TWC Cost:
Netflix + PlayOn + Xbox Live = $12/month no cable

Savings: $128/month x 12 = $1536/year

Upfront Eqpt costs: Xbox 360 - $200, Seagate Freeagent Theatre + = $80, 2 Wireless USBs for Freeagent - $20, 3 HDMI cords - $10. Total = $310

My original plan was to go back to cable next year for football season, but I doubt I ever go back now.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:00 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,785,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post

My setup:

Bonus room - HDMI cable from computer to HD TV. Allows me to directly watch anything I can pull up on the internet directly on my TV. Great for ESPN3. I have an Xbox 360 and I paid $20 for a year of Playon service. You would also need to pay $32/year (on sale) for Xbox 360 Gold membership. The 360 can pull up Netflix and PlayOn. PlayOn allows you to pull up Hulu directly (and wirelessly). I could pull up Hulu on my computer and send it to the TV through the HDMI, but PlayOn is a much cleaner option (and allows me to not have to go back and forth between the TV and computer). HD antenna ($10) to pull in HD CBS, ABC, NBC, PBS (3-4 stations), WB, UPN, and a couple of weather stations.

Living Room/Bedroom - HD TV hooked up to Seagate Free Agent Theatre + (you can buy a Patriot or Western Digital Model as well, cost $40 when on sale, $100 when not on sale). This setup allows me to stream netflix and to access Hulu wirelessly through PlayOn. I can also stream anything on my computer directly to it or hook an external hard drive with moves on it directly to it and watch. HD Antenna for free over the air content.

I dropped both of my HD boxes off at TWC a couple of months ago. Asked them to cut my cable off (was paying $179 for cable/internet...now paying $35 for internet). Received a call within 3 hours of dropping the boxes off offering me a reduced rate of $75 for internet & 1 non-HD box. Didn't take it.

TWC Cost:
$140/month cable

Non TWC Cost:

Upfront Eqpt costs: Xbox 360 - $200, Seagate Freeagent Theatre + = $80, 2 Wireless USBs for Freeagent - $20, 3 HDMI cords - $10. Total = $310

My original plan was to go back to cable next year for football season, but I doubt I ever go back now.

Your existing cable price is somewhat high...(i can get the triple play (cable/internet/phone) for $100/month (even less w/o the internet) I do also require a landline. Did you include that in your cost?

I'm not computer savvy, when you say you can pick up anything that's streaming, do you control this from your computer? How Do you get all the same programs that would be shown on a digital cable package? Sounds like a pain in the neck compared to a remote.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:48 PM

335 posts, read 702,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post

My setup:

TWC Cost:
$140/month cable

Non TWC Cost:

You have way too much time on your hands.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:43 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,301,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
...... I do also require a landline. Did you include that in your cost? ..... Sounds like a pain in the neck compared to a remote.
On your question about the land line, if you don't mind doing a little reading and buying a direct SIP phone, then you can get a VoIP service for close to nothing/month. Try doing a google search on BYOD VOIP if you are interested. I posted a link to a good provider above.

On your second point, it depends. A Roku combined with an OTA antenna is pretty easy. But the ability to channel surf 200+ channels with a remote isn't there yet, though it's not exactly the same comparison either because there are things you can do with some of the newer media devices that you can't do with the traditional setup.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:02 PM

847 posts, read 1,356,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goindownsouth2011 View Post
You have way too much time on your hands.

Has more money on his hands now. I have been thinking of doing something similar. The only reason I am yet to do so is NFL Sunday Ticket. While I know I of ways to still yet watch the games, they are not exactly legal so............

I'm not sure if Direct TV will sell there streaming service to someone that is not a subscriber. That is something I would have to look into.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:27 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,467,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
Has more money on his hands now. I have been thinking of doing something similar. The only reason I am yet to do so is NFL Sunday Ticket. While I know I of ways to still yet watch the games, they are not exactly legal so............
Those ways feed in non-HD. A huge dealbreaker for me.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:31 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,439,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Your existing cable price is somewhat high...(i can get the triple play (cable/internet/phone) for $100/month (even less w/o the internet) I do also require a landline. Did you include that in your cost?

I'm not computer savvy, when you say you can pick up anything that's streaming, do you control this from your computer? How Do you get all the same programs that would be shown on a digital cable package? Sounds like a pain in the neck compared to a remote.
It's actually not that hard if you know where to look. If it weren't for the higher quality NHL Gamecenter image, I wouldn't even need to subscribe (I'll be able to watch Yankees games without a subscription, and I've watched Jets games without needing a subscription, either).

Personally I don't watch "shows" beyond some political talk, Food Network, and another program or two. If I did, I could pick them up on Hulu a day later. There's netflix for movies, and various other outlets for pay per view programming, other television shows, etc.. Granted, you watch them a day later as well, but it beats paying the obscene amount for Time Warner.

Once my contract with TW is up, I'm probably going to go the above route and cut the cord on this company. The amount paid and the return investment with their service is WAY too heavy in their favor. I can't justify it any longer.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:53 PM

137 posts, read 388,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
704 is not limited to AT&T. You can get this area code with all VoIP providers. Some will even show you the available numbers and let you pick it from a list. For example VoIP.ms - Customer Portal: Order Local DID
Really? Thanks for telling me that. I was looking for something like that. I went thru a list of 5 different numbers about 80 times on at&t's website before I found one I liked...

Old 03-23-2011, 12:10 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,834,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
It's actually not that hard if you know where to look. If it weren't for the higher quality NHL Gamecenter image, I wouldn't even need to subscribe (I'll be able to watch Yankees games without a subscription, and I've watched Jets games without needing a subscription, either).

Personally I don't watch "shows" beyond some political talk, Food Network, and another program or two. If I did, I could pick them up on Hulu a day later. There's netflix for movies, and various other outlets for pay per view programming, other television shows, etc.. Granted, you watch them a day later as well, but it beats paying the obscene amount for Time Warner.

Once my contract with TW is up, I'm probably going to go the above route and cut the cord on this company. The amount paid and the return investment with their service is WAY too heavy in their favor. I can't justify it any longer.
How are you able to watch Jet/Yankee games without a subscription (and without going to a local bar)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte